Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andreark

Double Digging Regroup

andreark
10 years ago

I was having trouble with a new bed (cement patio cut up). Under what was
a portion of my patio, I had about 10â of nice soil then hard black clay. You
gave me tips on âÂÂdouble diggingâÂÂ, etc., and thatâÂÂs what I was going to do. But
yesterday we found large roots at many of the desirable plant locations.
REGROUP!! Sergio (friend and gardener) suggested putting up 12â redwood
sides and just making it a raised bed. This would give me about 22 inches of
nice soil over roots and hard clay. We would add to the top-1/3 soil from my
yard, 1/3 Dr. Earth Rose Soil, and 1/3 Compost and Manure.
Would this be ok?

andrea

Comments (13)

• michaelg
    10 years ago

Tree roots will probably migrate upward and compete. Is it feasible to chop or saw them off and install a 16" plastic barrier sold for the purpose? Say what kind of tree and maybe Californians can advise. My roses coexist with tree roots, but we have plenty of water here.

I suspect the Dr. Earth "soil" is mostly compost. The bagged products sold here are such. If the soil mix is 2/3 organic matter, it will shrink away in time and become mucky and slow to drain. I would prefer to have the soil mix be 80% or 90% mineral soil.

Sorry you are having so much trouble.

• andreark
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, you were right. I looked on line and the Rose Soil is mostly filler of sorts.

I don't have enough soil in my yard to make up the difference, but a local nursery sells just plain top soil and I will make the mix for the raised bed 1/2 or 2/3 soil and the balance compost and manure.

The arborist that I had trim my trees said that the type of elm I have won't bother the roses too much. I will just have to make sure that I water enough to let the tree have a little too.

I hope that's ok.

andrea

• andreark
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Correction! I didn't read your post properly.

I will make the new bed 80% soil and 20% 'stuff'.

Thanks again

andrea

• michaelg
    10 years ago

Sounds good. Ask the nursery to confirm that the topsoil is mostly mineral soil as opposed to composted sawdust. etc.. Ideally it would be sandy loam, which is common in California valleys. This is a soil that will form a cohesive ball when wet but can't be rolled into a stretchy noodle or ribbon.

• andreark
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Will do!

andrea

I'll post photos when this project is finished.

• andreark
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You are right once again. The nursery that sells top soil says that it is mostly 'stuff'.

I found another place that sells 'fill dirt' but the kid (28) that I spoke with said that "all raised beds should be filled with potting soil". I argued with him and he WILL
    sell me the (his words) crappy dirt that comes from people's yards. They also have what he called sandy loam and compost.

I am going to go check it out. NO, I won't buy clay like I have! But I'll find something more soil and than 'stuff'

Thanks again and I will post more of my exciting saga later.

andrea

• socks
    10 years ago

You would want to be careful about removing large roots if they possibly belong to shrubs or trees you like.

• andreark
    Original Author
    10 years ago

socks,

I didn't say that I plan to remove roots. I am going to make a raised bed over them. However, the arborist that I have used to trim trees says that I could take out smaller roots on this particular tree and it wouldn't hurt. He also said that it wouldn't bother my roses much if I kept the water flowing, , , which I do.

Thanks for your concern,

andrea

• catspa_NoCA_Z9_Sunset14
    10 years ago

How far away from the tree are these raised beds going to go? Are they out from under the drip-line of the canopy or, if not, how much of the surface area under the canopy do they cover? I have seen at least several trees killed by grade changes that added soil over the roots. The cement over this tree root area had a certain depth, but it sounds as if you are increasing that. If you are some distance away from the trunk, maybe not so bad, but close in, there has to be some concern for the tree. Your statement that there are "large roots" there brings up this question.

• andreark
    Original Author
    10 years ago

catspa,

I think you were posting your message when I was posting the answer. Basically what I said was that my arborist (rated the best east bay) gave his ok on where the bed will be.

Thanks for the concern.

andrea

• catspa_NoCA_Z9_Sunset14
    10 years ago

Your arborist okayed a raised bed? Must not be over the principal root zone or only over a small percentage of it. Otherwise, interesting.

• michaelg
    10 years ago

Andrea, the EarthKind folks in Texas have a protocol for planting roses in clay where they till into the topsoil 3" of expanded shale (similar to Turface) and 3" of compost/manure to create a raised bed. They say it works well.

• andreark
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The Turface didnâÂÂt arrive and my raised bed is scheduled to be
    Completed today

My new raised bed will contain:
    34 cu ft of fill soil (mineral)
    4 cu ft of top soil (containing compost)
    3 cu ft of EB Stone rose mix
    3 cu ft of NavletâÂÂs compost
    1.5 cu ft of EB StonâÂÂes aged steer manure

This will be sitting over 8 inches of amended soil which in turn
    will be over dark clay.

What do you think?

Thanks for your help,
    andrea

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm