Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bugs and Disease

Posted by Susanne27 5a Ontario Canada (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 22, 14 at 11:27

Rose chafers and green slugs are really chewing up my roses. Any special favourite recipes out there for a spray that is "organic"?

Also, I have another problem. Powdery mildew appeared on a container rose I bought this spring and it is spreading to nearby roses. The rose it appeared on is supposed to be resistant to mildew. Does anyone have a suggestion for this?

I might be naive but I was hoping that I wouldn't have to spray. I didn't last year but everything is getting hit hard and early this year.

Its been cool and rainy here in Ontario so far this spring with only a few really hot days.

Thanks,
Sue

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bugs and Disease

The green rose slugs usually only last a couple weeks, at which time the good predator bugs show up and get rid of them.

If you don't want to wait that long, just look at the backside of some chewed leaves. Squint--and when you see the teeny, tiny green "worms," just squish them--or if you are squeamish, toss them in the yard. They aren't likely to find their way back.

Between your hand-picking and the predator bugs showing up, you really don't have to spray at all.

As for powdered mildew, give the roses a good spray and "wash off" the mildew. Water the plants well. They don't usually have this problem unless they are too dry. You shouldn't have to spray for this also.

As to rose chafers, I have no idea. I think I basically just pretend they are not there.

Kate

o

And, some roses will mildew in their first year or so, when they are immature plants -- then become more resistant as their root structure grows.

Time and good watering will often cure this ill.

o

• Posted by jim1961 6a Central Pa. (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 22, 14 at 22:17

Yes I've noticed some areas only get Rose Slugs for a short time depending on how many generations they produce.
Some areas Rose Slugs will and can cause major foilage damage too.

Here we have Rose Slugs from May until November.( six months)... So every area of the country is different in the length of time that Rose Slugs hang around...

My suggestion is to pick and squish as Kate mentions in her post and just watch and see how long your rose slugs stay around in your area and see how much damage they cause. ( Each year will be different.)
Picking and squishing may be enough for you.
If not Safers Insecticidal Soap works. (Follow Directions)

I have a small Mister Lincoln rose bush in a container and this is what I seen the other day while checking him. lol.. I just picked them off...

photo IMG_1065_zps5a774289.jpg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here