Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Zephirine Drouhin or Alchymist?

Posted by thegardenat902 Zone 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 16, 14 at 11:29

Hi there. I am planning ahead for a project I'm hoping to do next spring/summer. I have always wanted an arbor around our front entrance of our house. We don't use our front door a whole lot, but I'm planning on getting a very wide arbor so there is plenty of room to walk through when we do.

I am looking at either Zephirine Drouhin or Alchymist. I'm looking for something vigorous that can tolerant some shade. The area gets some morning and afternoon sun. Is shaded during the hot part of the day.

I'm zone 5 but the hardier the better. It looks like Alchymist would be hardier for my zone. Anyone have any thoughts/suggestions? Shade tolerant and vigorous are really my only two requirements. Bloom color and fragrance are not as important.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Zephirine Drouhin or Alchymist?

If shade tolerant and vigorous are your two main criteria, look at some Explorer climbers. Quadra and John Cabot are two of the best. My Captain Samuel Holland is in a great deal of shade, and does fine.

o

Hi there. Thanks so much for the suggestions. I have not seen quadra before. I will look into all 3 of these!

o

Mad - do you think it's too late in the summer to plant Quadra. I just found a great deal on an arbor from craigslist and I'm thinking about doing it this summer now.

o

No, so long as it isn't a bareroot plant, but potted and growing, and you understand its watering needs over the summer.

Given the truly marginal roses that are described as 'hardy', it is easy to run out of words to describe Explorers. If you would do it with a lilac, or any other hardy shrub, you can do it with these roses.

o

I have a lot of young roses, hydrangeas and clematis so I water regularly. That wouldn't be a problem. I was looking at high country roses, they have an own root quadra on there for a good price.

Thanks so much for the advice. I think I will go w/ quadra for my arbor. :o)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here