Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dsd2682

Blackspot Resistant David Austin Roses

SoFL Rose z10
10 years ago

Hi Guys,
I'm looking for your cleanest most black spot resistant Austin roses. I already have queen of Sweden, Wollerton Old Hall, Mary, Huntington, Darcy Bushell, Alnwick and Jubilee Celebration. Any other good Austins that don't get blackspot? I'd be open to any OGR that have blooms similar to Austins too but I don't have a lot of room for big bushes. I grow them in containers so smaller ones are much better for me.

Comments (13)

• amberroses
    10 years ago

Well, if you are in Florida you probably know they all get some black spot. James Galway has good resistance, but gets large. Munstead Wood and Windermere are pretty resistant too. Princess Alexandra of Kent and Heritage have fair resistance, but Heritage gets large too.

If you can find Souvenir de Malmaison, an OGR, on fortuniana rootstock, you will probably be very happy with it.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

I can't speak for Florida, but here in Zone 6 Kansas, my most disease-resistant Austins are Mortimer Sackler, Pretty Jessica, and Lady of Shalott, plus a couple you already own.

A couple Austins that have a few BS problems but nothing really heavy are Molineux and Shakespeare 2000.

I have some newer Austins that --so far ---have little or no disease problems, but I haven't had some of them long enough to make definitive statements yet. However, I selected them because they were praised for disease-resistance on this forum and other places. They are Scepter'd Isle, The Pilgrim, Munstead Wood, and Wedgewood Rose.

And I agree that Souvenir de la Malmaison (or Mystic Beauty, from Roses Unlimited--basically the same rose) is a wonderful rose.

Kate

• ken-n.ga.mts
    10 years ago

Get you're Souv de la Malmaison from Coolroses. If they're out check to see if any local nurseries carry any Nelson roses. I know they offer it.

• michaelg
    10 years ago

'Teasing Georgia' hasn't been mentioned. It does well in a no-spray garden here. 'The Generous Gardener' did well for several years before being removed for RRD. 'Tess of the d'Urbervilles' is definitely above average.

But there aren't any that "don't get blackspot." You are hoping to find some that, in your climate and with your strains of blackspot, don't defoliate and look horrid for most of the season.

• SoFL Rose z10
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow Ken.
    It just so happens that I am driving up to Cool Roses this weekend for their "open house" event. We don't have any good rose nurseries around here so I'll have to drive to west palm, but its not too far and i think it will be worth it. I'm worried that I'll go crazy buying roses but hey, its my birthday AND i get paid on Friday AND my hubby said he'd get me as many roses as i wanted for my birthday so I will be like a kid in candy store! Any other good recommendations while I'm there? I know they grow roses that have been proven to do well down here so I think I'll have LOTS to choose from. Uh oh, I may have to dig up my front yard to make room for more roses!!!
    (Can you tell I'm excited!!?)

• SoFL Rose z10
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Michael,
    Thanks for the recommendations. Yes I am pretty much looking for roses that don't completely defoliate and turn into a thorn patch. I have had good luck with my DA's (except for Jubilee celebration, shes not doing so well, but I have hope she'll improve in the fall). I have had exceptional luck with Huntington Rose (aka Alan Titchmarsh rose). She has gotten some BS at the bottom but she seems to just shrug it off and keep on blooming. And i mean A LOT! more than any other rose i have ever known. Its so remarkable in fact that I'm looking for others that will perform as she does. She's a stand out and I'd try every DA rose until I find another one like her LOL.
    She lives in a 25 gallon pot on my patio (like most of my other roses). She is also grafted onto dr huey. See pic.
    I absolutely ADORE her. As much as a human can love a plant i think. (i even sing to her LOL)

• michaelg
    10 years ago

What do you sing? :)

• SoFL Rose z10
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I sing, "Inch by Inch, row by row, gonna make this garden grow". A song about gardening I learned in elementary school. I also sing a song from Disney's Alice in wonderland about the flowers. And any other song that comes to mind while gardening. :)

• SoFL Rose z10
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh my goodness Cynthia! That's it!!! I can't believe you actually know it. I had forgotten lots of the words so I made up some of my own but now I can sing the entire song. Thanks so much :)

• reemcook
    10 years ago

Thank you, dsd2682, for this post. I would appreciate knowing which DA roses or roses that bloom like DA would fare in the PNW 8a climate zone. Yes, I hail from the land of rain and intermittent sunshine.

PS: I hate it because it aggravates my fibromyalgia and other health issues. But on the other hand, the greenery here is lush. Glass half-full? :)

• jazzmom516 (Zone 6b, MA)
    10 years ago

I agree about the Molineux rose being pretty resistant to BS.Its a really good performer in my garden.

• the_morden_man
    10 years ago

I can't speak to which DA's might be resistant in your zone and climate, but for what it's worth, the following have had decent BS resistance in my garden in Ontario, Canada and my Mom's garden in PEI, Canada. Some of these might be afflicted a little by BS in a non-spray and organic gardening environment here, but typically not very severe.

Gentle Hermione
    Molineux
    Crocus Rose
    The Mayflower
    Teasing Georgia
    Tamora
    Munstead Wood
    Wild Edric
    Mrs. Doreen Pike
    The Ingenious Mr. Fairchild
    Constance Spry
    Geoff Hamilton
    Harlow Carr
    Queen of Sweden

These ones will get some BS or late season mildew here, but typically not very severe.
    Miss Alice
    Lilian Austin
    Mary Rose
    Eglantyne