Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunflowersrus222

yellowing leaves

sunflowersrus222
10 years ago

I was able to get my cable to work with my cell to download these photos so thought I would start a new thread.

As you can see the leaves are getting yellowing along the veins and the outer edges are still green plus they have spots.

This is my Just Joey that I got from heirloom roses and planted on the 8th. Just 4 days later the leaves are turning yellow. This is an own-root rose that is about 6 inches tall. Is this a virus or deficiency in the soil? I'm waiting to hear back from heirloom roses but know this will probably take awhile so thought I would get quicker answers here. Any ideas? Suggestions?

These are well watered since we had a lot of rain the day after planting plus I've watered them since.

This post was edited by sunflowersrus222 on Wed, Jun 12, 13 at 11:44

Comments (13)

• michaelg
    10 years ago

This is a duh sort of observation, but the affected leaflets are dying/dead and about to be shed. It is unusual for one leaflet on the same leaf to be healthy, suggesting that the leaf stem may be damaged at that point. Is this happening elsewhere on the plant?

Plants are seriously stressed by being shipped across the country in warm weather. It's fairly common for them to shed some or all of the leaves. However, this process is usually underway when you unpack them.

The other possibility is overwatering, which can cause this type of leaf loss. If drainage is poor and the soil was wet when you planted, the roots may not be getting the necessary oxygen. I'd expect that process to take more than four days to develop, however.

• jerijen
    10 years ago

This is a tiny own-root plant. It came in a band, right?

It's come out of a greenhouse, been shipped across the U.S. in a box. And BANG! Plopped into the ground.

I would expect a rose to go into some shock! This one is. It's dropping at least some leaves, in response to that. AFAICS, the leaves it's losing are its oldest ones. You have new young fresh growth emerging.

Note: When we receive a Band Plant, we water it, then let it rest in a shady spot for a day or so. We then pot it up to a 1-G pot, and it stays there until roots fill the pot, and show at the bottom. THEN we could pot it up again, or plant it.

Some folks DO put them directly into the ground. But in either case, you have to expect a little shock.

Just keep your little rose watered regularly, and shield it from intense sun for a time, so it can recover, and begin to grow roots. DON'T feed it!

Jeri

• sunflowersrus222
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for your responses. I followed the directions that came with my rose to the letter. Which says plant immediately as the first step. Of course it has more instructions than that but I took that literally and planted them that day but after I had watered them and let them sit a few hours. Guess I should have let them sit longer and let them adjust by slowly moving them into sunlight as one of you have so kindly put.

Glad to hear it is most likely shock. I hadn't thought of that. I right away jumped the gun and thought virus or lacking something in the soil etc. I'll keep an eye on it.

I hadn't had anything growing in this location for a few years but kept it well mulched and fertilized over the years. Just couldn't decide what to plant there till now. So when I saw images of yellowing leaves and compared them to mine I was thinking OMG what did I do or not do to this soil.

Ok going to take a deep breath and just keep telling myself these are babies and need to adjust. This is the first time I had bought any plants online and had shipped so I'm new to this sort of gardening. Just haven't seen anything in my area that I liked and thought I would take a chance and give ordering a try.

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    10 years ago

For Heirloom band Roses if its real hot (sunny) out when planted outside in the ground I cover with a chair during the hottest parts of the day for a few days until they recover from being shipped across country....
    Even when I planted some Heirloom Roses in July I did this and it worked out well...
    And I do NOT apply fertilizer in its first season...
    And I kept them well watered since we have little rain in July...

Remember I am an entire zone cooler than your zone...
    I have no idea how intense your climate can be so adjust accordingly...

Good Luck and I hope it does well soon!

This post was edited by jim1961 on Wed, Jun 12, 13 at 13:24

• sunflowersrus222
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Jim1961 I'll do that! I have plastic tables I'll put over them for a few days.

We had cool weather here till yesterday. Yesterday it was 84 and very humid. Going to have more of the same today. That would explain the sudden yellowing leaves today.

10 years ago

You can give them some sunlight but cover them during the hottest most sun intense parts of the day for a few days...

• michaelg
    10 years ago

for jim1961--

I didn't answer your emails because you have your address blocked on your GW setup.

What I use for nitrogen is generic lawn fertilizer around 30-0-0, 1 TB. Lasts 4-6 weeks. You can also use 2 TB blood meal.

10 years ago

Its blocked? Oh ok... Thanks Michaelg for the info!
    Much appreciated!

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    10 years ago

sunflowersrus222, I was going to chime in, but agree with the other posters.

I wanted to repond to your email to me, but you email is also blocked, and didn't come through. Take a look at your profile settings, and resend to me. I wasn't ignoring you, I just couldn't return the "call".

• sunflowersrus222
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Diane_nj thanks. I changed my settings so hopefully now you can shoot me an email.

• roseseek
    10 years ago

As long as the issues you're seeing on the plant are on the oldest foliage; lowest foliage on the plant; or on the interior foliage inside the plant canopy, they are usually not serious nor anything which are likely to kill the plant. Foliage, like all the other plant parts, has a useful life span. Once the plant no longer requires it, the sap is pulled from it to push new growth and the leaf is shed. Sometimes that is stimulated by disease, often, not. If the older leaves (which are generally lower on the plant) are showing issues and NOT the new leaves, it's probably normal.

If the leaves are INSIDE the plant and not on the canopy (outer surface), they are probably not receiving enough sunlight to keep them producing more food than they are requiring. Plants are the perfect commune. Produce at least as much or more than you consume or get shed. Once either the age, condition or food production of the leaf reach that tipping point, the plant gets rid of it. Those inside the plant are often shaded by the other leaves so they can't effectively produce more food than they consume and are no longer needed to support the plant. They turn colors (loss of sap) and fall.

If the new growth and foliage are looking too odd, then something is likely amiss. But, if the "problem" leaves are those at the lower parts of the plant; the oldest leaves or those inside the foliage mass where they probably don't get enough light, their issues are much more likely to simply be normal cycling of resources and not life threatening issues. Kim

• sunflowersrus222
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just heard back from Heirloom roses. This is their take on whats going on. Considering all of the rain we've had it makes sense to me.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Sometimes at first it's a bit of a guessing game, even with a picture. Some tips to check would be see if the leaves are soggy or squishy. This may indicate it's actually getting too much water at the roots. I which case you can back off the watering a little and simply remove the yellowing leaves and the rose will correct itself with some time. If there is water staying on the plant overnight blackspot could become an issue, as with any rose. If blackspot occurs you'll need to place that rose on a regular spraying regimen to spray it at least once a week with an over the counter spray for blackspot or use the more organic recipe listed on our website and treat after each rain or once a week. Its possible the yellow leaves can simply be removed and the rose will grow new leaves without any further troubles at all. My best suggestion is check water first. Roses like about 2 gallons of water per week as a rule of thumb. We hope these tips help.

Sincerely,
    Heirloom Roses Staff

• michaelg
    10 years ago

I water new bands and 1-gals every other day with 1/2 gallon for the first month. This ensures that they are getting both moisture and oxygen into the tiny root ball. In extreme heat and low humidity they might want daily light watering and/or partial shade, but I don't have experience with those conditions..