Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stir_fryi

Is my KO rose dying?

stir_fryi SE Mich
10 years ago

Planted two of these two weeks ago. One is doing well, couple of blossoms and a few are ready to open.

This one has very few leaves and no new buds. It just looks woody.

We have gotten a lot of rain in the last two weeks and not a whole lot of sunshine. The temperature has been between (68-78 degrees).

Bought at Home Depot with a one year guarantee. Should I exchange it now or wait and see??

Comments (12)

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    10 years ago

If it were me I would exchange it now...
    But then part of me would want the challenge to try and grow it into a awesome bush...lol

But if you decide to nurse it I would cut flowers and forming flower buds off of it for awhile so it's energy is concentrated on growing roots, etc.
    Keep well watered... I guess rains doing that for you at the present time...
    If it gets really hot shade the plant during the hottest parts of the day for awhile.

What's your general location and what growing zone you in? Thanks...

• stir_fryi SE Mich
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am in zone 5B -- southeastern Michigan. It really hasn't gotten above 82 degrees this month.

10 years ago

Thanks... If you want to try and nurse it... Go ahead and try...

If not I would exchange it right now...
    Best wishes!

• TehyaJenZ6
    10 years ago

It looks like it will live, you have several green canes. I wouldn't expect much from it this year though.

10 years ago

Actually I planted 4 small double Ko's in May of 2012.
    In the winter rabbits ate all 4 to near ground level.
    I pruned just alittle in Spring of course there wasn't much left.
    Then I threw about 2-3TBS of fertilizer around them.
    I'm not sure if the fertilizer or our cold freezes in Spring caused them all to have stunted growth but they had a heck of a time getting re-started this year... They looked so bad I didn't think any of them would make it for awhile.
    But there all doing well now and growing...

Yours looks better then mine did...
    I'm cutting off all rose buds this year so they concentrate there energy into growing roots, etc. and it is working... :)

This post was edited by jim1961 on Sat, Jun 15, 13 at 19:26

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

Is that rose being eaten by something? do you have rabbits or deer in your area?

• mzdee
    10 years ago

I would take them back. It is too late in the season for those guys to struggle. You might want to check your Lowes. If they haven't already done it, a few weeks into July they usually clearance roses and shrubs. You could replace them then for a bit less money.

10 years ago

I'm also interested in hearing your answer to hoovb question...
    If yes put a wire cage around it... Rabbits like tender
    new roses to munch...

BTW what did that rose bush look like when you got it?

• t_bred
    10 years ago

Looks like 2 canes that I can see are dying from the top down. The Knockouts my HD sells are fully leafed out/budded/flowering. This one had some catastrophic event to look that bad within a couple weeks!

• stir_fryi SE Mich
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hmmm... I never considered the rabbits. Our neighborhood is overrun with them! I just transplanted some black-eyed susans my sister gave me and they are nothing but tiny, leaf-less stalks now... I was face to face with mother and baby standing their munching away...

I didn't know that rabbits like rose bushes. Strange that the other one is ok -- so far....

10 years ago

Rabbits will eat thorns and all...lol
    They mostly just eat smaller tender growth here.
    When the roses get larger they leave them alone.
    But that's here and our rabbits...
    So protect your smaller roses until they grow
    bigger...

In the winter when food gets scarce rabbits will really eye
    up those smaller rose stems...

• michaelg
    10 years ago

I agree there is probably a damage by some critter. Rabbits tend to strip off the leaflets and leave the leaf stem. They also nip off new growth tips (as do deer).

If you decide to keep it--the black areas are cankers (fungal infections of the bark) that have girdled the stem and caused the part above to die back. These canes should be cut to a bud eye (leaf stem or bump where one used to be) at least one inch below the canker. Then they should make healthy new growth from the bud eye. With the dead lateral cane that is cankered at the very base, you can just take this off where it attaches.