Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New roses grower... all tips and advices are welcome

Posted by Joopster 5 (Chicago) (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 16, 14 at 11:53

Hi all. I'm new at growing roses. I been avoiding it because I heard that roses are very high maintenance. But after my husband bought me Port Sunlight last year, I got over my fear and started growing a few varieties. Please feel free to leave some tips and advices.

Here's my first rose, Port Sunlight

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New roses grower... all tips and advices are welcome

Love and Peace

o

Another Love and peace

o

Abraham Darby

o

Here is Crown Princess Margareta

o

Chicago Peace

o

Day Breaker

o

• Posted by jim1961 6a Central Pa. (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 16, 14 at 13:15

Well you must be doing things right as the blooms look near flawless and the leaves look great! Thumbs up! :)

o

Jim, I agree...that was my first impression when I saw the pictures... Joopster, keep a log of what you do. This will come in handy. I use a dry erase board in the garage. At the end of the year, I take a picture and copy on paper before I erase it. Good luck...it looks good!

o

If you are a newbie then what am I? :P These are gorgeous! Just gorgeous. I don't think I have any advice for you. You seem to know what you are doing better than me! :o)

Michaela

o

I agree with Jim and kentucky_rose, you are doing a great job. Follow the posts on here and when you have a question, just ask and you will get some great advice. And please, keep sharing your lovely rose pictures! And most of all, enjoy!

o

I think your roses are gorgeous, especially your port sunlight and CPM. I am also new this year to growing Austin's and a few antiques, could give me some advice lol. Like what are you using for fertilizer?? Your roses look so healthy.

o

Thanks all. Most of the credits go to my husband who prep the flower bed for me last year. The bed was raised a foot and half and he filled it up with top soil with peat moss. I believe the top soil have some composted manure added. Last Fall he shredded dry leaves and covered the whole bed with with. We're both new at gardening. So everything is guess work for us. In Spring I gave them a little Scott's rose food. I'm thinking about trying milorganite but I'm doing some research on that right now. Do you have any suggestion for good rose food?

I do get yellow leaves, usually at the bottom. I usually pull them off and spray the plant just a little once a month.

Also, some of my roses are slowly growing and no bloom. I got some tea roses that were impacted by the harsh winter and just woke up. Also, 5 bareroots from David Austins that I acquired at the end of April. Anything I can do to speed them up?

This post was edited by Joopster on Tue, Jun 17, 14 at 9:52

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here