Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
timberohio

Babies Breath Alternative????

timberohio
15 years ago

I know there are a lot of posts for companion plants for roses. I was really wanting to plant Babies Breath at the base of my rose so it would look like a planted bouquet. Well after reading how invasive of a weed it is I have nixed that idea.

Is there anything like Babies Breath, small white flowers, not a lot of foliage that only gets about 2 to 3 ft tall that can be planted under a rose to grow up between the branches without killing out the rose, comes back every year and isn't invasive?

Yeah I know my mom always said I never asked for much. :)))

Comments (9)

• cincy_city_garden
    15 years ago

I've had Babies Breath for a couple of years now and it's not invasive for me at all. I think it has to have "ideal" conditions to become invasive. Mine is in a mixed perennial/rose border and it's fine...I actually thought it was gonna die, it looked so puny.

I'm in an urban setting, so not a lot of prairies for it to take over. I'd say give it a try.

Eric

• hershigrl
    15 years ago

I grow Feverfew as a Babies Breath substitute. It meets all of your requirements: 2 to 3 feet tall, comes back every year, not invasive. Plus it looks great!

- Hershi

• erasmus_gw
    15 years ago

Well, I was going to tell you about Diamond Frost euphorbia, but then I noticed you wanted something that comes back. This one is a "Proven Winner" annual I think, and it isn't invasive anyway. I love it..it is always in bloom, very light and airy, can be grown in a pot or the ground. Here' the picture:
    {{gwi:288821}}
    Linda

• triple_b
    15 years ago

wow that looks great! is it really that color blue or is it just the lighting? I have pink baby's breath in my annual garden to go in vases with my roses.

• agardenstateof_mind
    15 years ago

I also had a perennial baby's breath here in my suburban garden for many years which did not spread.

There are some nice suggestions above, though ... love that euphorbia 'Diamond Frost'!

• timberohio
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I think I'll try the baby's breath with one of my roses, just to see how it does. If I start to notice a problem I'll yank it. I like the Feverfew idea as well may have to give it a try.

The euphorbia is beautiful too bad it is an annual. I'll have to do some research to see about collecting seeds from it so I wouldn't have to buy it every year. May give it a try as well.

Love everyones ideas and suggestions Thanks for the help.
    Andrea

• erasmus_gw
    15 years ago

Andrea,
    I don't know much about manual settings on my camera, but somehow the settings were changed for awhile and everything looked more blue. The euphorbia is not blue, it's white, but there were more blue tones in that pic than there actually were.

I looked up the euphorbia and it said it's an annual except in zone 10 and 11. Still, it blooms constantly till frost. Collecting seeds is a good idea. I know some people have luck bringing pots of tender perennials inside during the winter.

Linda

• greenhaven
    15 years ago

erasmus, try going back to your "white balance" settings. That is probably what is giving you the blue cast. If I set my white balance for flourescent light and forget to change it back that is what I get. Argh! Makes me crazy when I cannot reshoot an image.

• mexicanhat
    15 years ago

Look at some of DiggerDave's photos. He said they sprinkle out alyssum packets in the Spring, and boy do they come up and look nice with the roses!

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists