Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
minflick

Dealing with watering needs, and my laziness

minflick
9 years ago

We're in a drought here in California, and I'm only allowed to water 3 days a week, and not from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., unless I have a drip system. AND, although I have fond memories of walking the garden with my grandmother every evening while she watered things, I don't much enjoy doing that myself, plus I get home after dark a lot. I don't water in the dark!. Out of sheer laziness, I bought soaker hoses and laid them around the roses. Most of my non-potted things have some kind of soaker going to them now. Things are progressing well, and life is good.

BUT. I have Blush Noisette and Louise Odier on a south facing fence that until a few months ago, was only watered by me holding a hose, or putting down a sprinkler (which was plastic and has broken). And partial shade during the day, so, adverse conditions for the roses, because it bakes in front of the fence, shade or no shade. So, knowing the watering restrictions were coming, I bought a bunch more soaker hoses and put one along that fence. Since then, both roses have been watered 2 times a week, for an hour or so at a time. I also have some straw mulch there, since I ran out of bark mulch. Oh my gosh - the roses are doing so much better. I have to think it's a combination of time in the ground (2 full years finally!) and the more regular watering. My spring flush was MUCH nicer than last year, and this year, I'm getting some new canes (and some honking laterals) and although the spring flush is gone, I'm seeing new bud clusters on the new cane tips! Very very pretty. It's nice to see them responding well to my efforts!

Melinda

Comments (2)