Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marydanielle_gw

Update!

MaryDanielle
11 years ago

I haven't been on for a while, well because there wasn't a ton of activity for a little while. I'm glad to say my experience with roses has been amazing, and though I had reservations of ordering the roses I did from where I did, it turned out very nicely!

Ebb Tide is not growing, and has die off... but I do have credit for next season.

{{gwi:289131}}

Distant Drums has been a DREAM! I love her more than I expected. 2 Blooms so far, and another bud! :)

{{gwi:289133}}

{{gwi:289134}}

{{gwi:289135}}

{{gwi:289136}}

Dick Clark is so lovely! No blooms yet, but she is growing just wonderfully! There was no activity for a while, but then, BOOM!!! TONS of gorgeous foliage! And I have to say the large fabric pot I made is working fantastically! Yay! (the smaller ones are also, but the vinyl one.)

The first picture is from a few days ago, the second from today!

{{gwi:289137}}

{{gwi:289139}}

I'm ordering more, possibly one to replace Ebb Tide, and maybe a few to accompany it on it's trip here.

Comments (11)

• roseseek
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

MaryDanielle, your Ebb Tide is drying up. It hasn't grown enough roots to rehydrate itself yet so the plant is losing water through the canes. It's difficult to tell from your other photos if you've done this with the others, but if you mound the plant, or create a cylinder to hold soil around the bud union and canes until new growth begins on their tops, you can save that bare root.

You want to do this at planting time to prevent premature desiccation of the plant and maintain its vigor, but you can do it for Ebb Tide now and potentially save it, though it will be weaker than it should be due to being dried out too far.

If space permits, mound the plant with mulch or the soil you have it planted in. If they are in planters, take a cardboard box with sides tall enough for you to bury several inches of it under soil and have the rest of it go up to at least the height of the length of the canes. You want enough soil around the cylinder bottom to hold the soil and water in place when you fill the cylinder with water. Taller works well, too. Cut up the box so you have a long strip of the right height cardboard, then roll it into a cylinder which will fit over the plant. You want to not fill up the planter with the soil, but tie or staple the cylinder so it remains closed around the plant, then take the soil you would have filled the planter with, and fill the cylinder instead. You want all but the top inch or two of the canes buried in the soil.

You've covered the roots in the planter, but not filled it up with soil to where you want the planting height to be, because when you remove the cylinder, the soil inside it is going to be used to finish filling the planter. Water the soil in the cylinder and water the soil in the planter. Moist soil around the canes and bud union help to put water back in the plant and keep it from drying out until it forms the roots it needs to support itself. Keeping it cooler, damper and dark in that soil until it begins forming new growth at the cane tops, encourages it to grow roots instead of trying to put out leaves without the roots to support them. Leaving the union and canes exposed as that Ebb Tide is permits the plant to dry out, preventing it from producing that root system.

As new leaves begin forming, you can begin removing the soil from the cylinder and into the planter. If leaves are forming on the canes and you are entering a period of rain, you can remove the cylinder and spread the soil out in the planter. The rain will settle the plant in and harden off any growth not already suitable to be in the harsher, drier elements.

If you provide this type of cover for bare roots at planting time, you will find you very seldom lose any. I know some are going to report they don't do it and never lose any and that can, indeed, be the case. If the plant you receive isn't already partially dried out and if your climate is rainy and humid enough, bare roots CAN break dormancy and grow just fine without being mounded. But, if they have begun to dry out; if you're not having the rains and your humidity is low, particularly if it's unseasonably warm and windy or the direct sun is intense for longer periods through the day, your chances of experiencing what you see with that Ebb Tide are greater. Kim

• MaryDanielle
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Kim,

Thank you so much! I went ahead and added a bit more soil, and created a mound over the bud union. This was my first time even planting roses, I had thought that it was the plant itself since the other two (distant drums is planted with ebb tide with a board separating the two under the soil) are doing so well. Should I hold off on replacing her? I've added some pictures of her now, and treated her with a gallon of water/superthrive mixture after a thorough watering. I have been unsure if they have been getting enough water, and haven't been watering as much as I should have I guess. The soil never seems to be dry, so I'm not sure... Hopefully this will help. I'm going to order some more roses though... It's quite humid here, and it rains at least once a week, I think the humidity usually stays about 50%-60% here.

{{gwi:289140}}
    {{gwi:289142}}

• professorroush
    11 years ago

Distant Drums; Griffith Buck rose....there's a hint to order some more of those MaryDanielle

• MaryDanielle
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Didn't think of that! Lol. I will be ordering some other Buck Roses in the near future!

• roseseek
    11 years ago

You're welcome! That's "better", but it would be perfect if you made a cylinder (maybe even cut up a three or five gallon can to create it), slip it over the plant and pile up the soil inside so only the top two or three inches of green cane remain uncovered. Keep them watered. As long as they drain well, don't be afraid to water. When in doubt, stick your finger deep into the soil. If it doesn't seem damp, give them a drink.

I'm glad you put that divider in the planter box. I'd forgotten that post but now remember it. Good luck. Kim

• MaryDanielle
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm going to try to craft something, but I put up the soil higher until then. I'll be sure not to wait so long to water! What a rookie mistake huh? :)

Thanks again Kim! :D

• roseseek
    11 years ago

You're welcome! Not really a "mistake", as you didn't know. Ignorance, thankfully, is completely curable! We've all been there and done it. I've found the easiest way for me to do this is to take two, five gallon cans. Plant the bare root in the first but with just a bit of soil over the roots. I cut the bottom out of the second can, then slip it over the plant, into the first. It sits on top of the soil covering the roots and protrudes out of the first can, creating a 'collar' to hold more soil, higher than the top of the first can. I fill the second can until all but the top inch or two of the rose canes are covered. Water it heavily to settle the potting soil and add more if it settles too much, exposing too much of the plant. I keep it watered with the other canned plants, otherwise leaving it alone until new growth is emerging from the canes.

You may either gradually remove soil, exposing the canes a bit at time, or wait until you have some actual leaves forming and remove it all. If you gently slip the second can out of the first (before you have too much length of new growth which might be broken off), you can allow the over filled soil to slip back into the first can, removing what you don't need to finish planting the rose.

Of course, this is fine in my arid, windy, warm climate. If yours is cooler, damper, wetter, you may not have to resort to such efforts. But, when you receive bare roots of any kind which appear to have been partially dried out before they were received, it's easier than heeling them in, literally burying them under damp soil before planting. And, it can prevent many issues in harsher situations, saving you many plants and a lot of time and energy.

In one of his books, Trevor Griffiths, the revered rose nurseryman from New Zealand, wrote he received 'dried out, dead" bare roots back from a customer with the complaint there were "dead". He heeled them in the ground to rehydrate, then planted them in bags of soil to take to speaking engagements with him to show how "dead" roses can be resurrected from the dead. We can easily prevent them from becoming "dead", but we have to be alerted how, first. Guarantees are fine, but they don't reimburse you for the energy and time lost. I'm glad you posted about your Ebb Tide. Perhaps you can salvage it and use your energies on other new ones, instead of a replacement. Kim

• MaryDanielle
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, I think she only has one healthy cane left, lets hope I wasn't too late! Here's a picture of my pizza box structure. I went ahead and bought some organic potting mix for it. :)

I'm glad I have everyone on this forum to help with my ignorance!!! :D

{{gwi:289144}}

• roseseek
    11 years ago

Should work like a charm! Pizza box is a good idea! Best part is, the cardboard can either be recycled or used in the compost pile. I've even used many sheets of newspaper, folded in half length-wise. It lasts long enough and I had it. Having it, and/or being free are the best parts.

You can collar them in the ground the same way, either with the home made type like this, or a bottomless nursery can. Works wonders! Congratulations! You're rapidly on your way to being an "expert"! LOL! Kim

• MaryDanielle
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I hope so! LOL! I read a lot on here, and do some research on the things I don't understand like RRD. Thank you again!!!! :)

• roseseek
    11 years ago

You're welcome! That's what keeps it fun, isn't it? Kim