Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
airen21

New Rose

Airen21
10 years ago

Hello everyone,

i have 3 minis i recieved yesterday, i was hoping someone might help me fighure out if it resembles any rose that you might now and help me figure out how to properly care for them, one of them i placed in a small clay pot because its roots where underdeveloped, i noticed the leaves where not properly formed and had a grayish discoloration in some places.
any ideas on how to help the rose root better?
also, the sun here in the DR is very hot, so i was wondering should they still be out there 6-7 hours in full sun or should i consider some afternoon shade?
i ahve pictures for the others as well, just dont know how to post various photos in the same post.
any advice is greatly appreciated,

Ana

Comments (7)

• jerijen
    10 years ago

You don't say where you are located, but even along my generally cool coast, new little roses would appreciate some protection from too much direct sun. PARTICULARLY if they are newly-planted.

Put them in their pots.
    Keep them watered (NOT sodden. They need good drainage.)
    Protect them from too much direct sun.
    Do not feed them.
    When you remove faded blooms, cut or snap them off just under the bloom.

These plants are babies. Give them time to develop.
    If you really want to give them optimal growth, remove all blooms AND BUDS, forcing them to put their energy into rooting and growing.

Jeri

• Airen21
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank You Sir!

i appreciate your prompt reply, i will cut off those blooms then i really want it to focus on getting settled and growing bigger , the blooms can come later.

im sorry i live in the Dominican Republic, the sun is really intense here..i have tried to figure out which zone i would most resemble but it varies. right now we have had so much rain and humudity for 2 weeks straight, i have moved my roses inside to protect from the rain, they are pretty well watered as it is, so i didint want them to become too wet for their taste.

another thing, should i be concerned with making sure the inside of the plant is well ventilated, no canes criss-crossig each other or is this something to worry about later, when the plant has had its chance to settle in its new home.

Ana

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    10 years ago

Roses do not like to be inside for long periods of time...
    I sit plants in pots on our outside porch if bad weather...

With a small rose like this I do not worry about crossing
    canes etc. as it needs those canes & leaves right now...

This post was edited by jim1961 on Wed, Jun 12, 13 at 13:18

• Airen21
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jim, my plants are not indoor plants, they sit outside on full sun for 7 hours, might even get too hot for them at times..

• roseseek
    10 years ago

You just received them, from where? Did they come from a nursery you ordered them from? Did someone give them to you? Were they bought at a grocery store, home improvement store or garden center? It makes a difference. If they arrived in the mail, they've likely been held in a green house and they will require gradual hardening off to acclimate to the hot, direct, drier sun than they are used to. Not hardening them off will likely fry them. Think about your skin in the beginning of the sunny, hot weather where you are. You've been indoors all winter and you're NOT "tanned". Go out in the hot sun too long and your skin fries. You require gradual exposure in small doses to build up the 'tan' so you don't burn as quickly, easily or severely. Those rose leaves require exactly the same thing for exactly the same reasons.

If they were grown outdoors in hotter, more direct sun, they won't require that hardening off period as they SHOULD be fairly hardened off. If they've spent their time in green houses or in stores under lights, they're soft and are probably going to burn. Placing them in filtered sun for a few days then moving them into greater sun exposure in small doses, gradually, will produce the desired effects.

Agreed, don't keep them "soggy" because you CAN drown plants just like we can drown. But, you also want to make sure those clay pots don't sit out in hours of direct, hot sun, either. Clay absorbs, retains and radiates heat for a very long time after the sun moves off it. If you're in an extreme climate, that CAN damage or kill the plant. If you're in a milder heat climate, it may actually help the plants develop faster. Shading the clay pots with other plants or putting them behind a low wall, even a board so the plant is in the sun, but the pot is shaded, may be safer than letting them sit out absorbing too much heat from direct sun. The same goes for sitting the pots on a concrete or stone surface. At the coast here, where it remains cooler, foggier and the sun is strongly filtered, clay pots on concrete or stone actually help the soil remain warmer and plants grow much more quickly. Inland, where I am, I can kill a plant every time by putting a small clay or ceramic pot on a concrete surface in the hot, direct sun for hours on a warm to hot day. Of course, depending upon where you are, your mileage will very likely vary, but things to keep in mind. Kim

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    10 years ago

I got mixed up when you stated you had rain for 2 weeks and moved the roses inside...lol

• susan4952
    10 years ago

They are totally cute.