Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Brand New to Roses on Ct. Advise Please

Posted by martinca Ct. (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 11, 14 at 12:36

My daughter is in Fairfield county and wants roses. I'm in So. Ca. And know zero about her zone. She's wanting easy care, so that rules out the hybrid teas. Also wonder if it's too late for planting, and if she'll find any at local nursery. Would be so helpful if a " neighbor" would share some knowledge and specific suggestions. As a newbie, she'll hope for those readily accessible from the nursery. Many thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Brand New to Roses on Ct. Advise Please

It is too late for bare-root roses but not for potted roses. However, the varieties of potted roses at the garden center will mostly not be adapted to life in the East, where blackspot disease is severe and winters can damage tender roses. The Knock Out family of roses is available, and these have adequate resistance to blackspot. I don't know if they are fully winter hardy, but they should survive.

Probably others will recommend a list to be ordered for next year. If she is willing to spray fungicide every two weeks, the list would be much, much longer.

o

I'd suggest she get the book Roses for New England by Mike and Angelina Chute.

It isn't too late to plant potted roses, but there are some real advantages to getting bareroot rose next Spring--wider selection, rootstock better suited for acid soil, and prevention of rose midge.

It is much easier to care for roses planted in the early spring in New England--while you can plant them in the warmer months, you can lose them if you don't water them adequately--as they may need time to re-establish a root system damaged during transplanting.

Here is a link that might be useful: book Roses for New England

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 11, 14 at 15:32

If she has a rose society near her she should check with them on what roses would be the hardiest for her zone. There are always the Knock Outs of course but have her check her local nurseries for some of the OSO Easy roses too. They come in more varieties than the KOs but will be just as easy to care for. Some of them are quite pretty and have fragrance as well.

o

The Connecticut Rose Society's rose show is this Sunday, 6/15, at Elizabeth Park in West Hartford. It is a wonderful place to see many varieties, including the ramblers. It looks like ~1 hour from Fairfield.

Here is a link that might be useful: CT Rose Society Schedule

o

Thank you all so much. Good info i will pass along. The OSO Easy and Knockouts look like a good starting rose for her.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here