Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gabrielsyme

What colors do you prefer?

Gabrielsyme
10 years ago

I've been doing a lot of planning this spring and thinking about color. For a long time I chose plants because I liked them in the nursery and was only marginally aware of color coordination. Lately I've been trying to harmonize the entire property. Right now I'm keeping a lot of blue (wisteria, salvia, ajuga, liriope, hydrangea) and yellow and a few splashes of pink, hoping to add some white.

Do you choose your roses to fit in with a strict color scheme or do you jumble them together in a riot of color because you love them all? Are there some colors you love almost too much and others you wouldn't touch with a ten-foot pole?

Comments (13)

• andreark
    10 years ago

I'm just a novice.

But the first 6 roses I chose for my first rose bed were
    selected just as you did before....No ryme or reason
    AND no idea about size. Well, I learned my lessson!

The first bed's colors layout could be better, but the
    most important 'goof' was that I didn't know each rose's
    future size. As a result, I have taller ones where there
    should be shorter ones. I have to prune a lot to make
    it look decent.

This next bed that I just installed, is not only color
    coordinated, it is also planted for size. I have only 7
    new ones, but it still took some planning to arrange
    according to both size and color. I think this will work
    out beautifully.

Good luck,
    andrea

• roseseek
    10 years ago

It's all personal preference. Anyone who tells you it MUST be done one way or the other is bullying you. "Designers" are often like that in my experience. Personally, it completely depends upon the preference and taste of the person paying the bill.

In my own situation, I prefer the serendipity Nature uses. There are frequently "surprises" you don't expect and combinations "designers" would NEVER permit. If I'm putting together a pot, much of it depends upon the coloring, style and shape of the pot. It is great fun to match as well as contrast the plants to the finish it has. In the ground at home, it depends to a large degree of what will fit where and where it will receive the light, air circulation and water it prefers. Kim

• roseseek
    10 years ago

It's all personal preference. Anyone who tells you it MUST be done one way or the other is bullying you. "Designers" are often like that in my experience. Personally, it completely depends upon the preference and taste of the person paying the bill.

In my own situation, I prefer the serendipity Nature uses. There are frequently "surprises" you don't expect and combinations "designers" would NEVER permit. If I'm putting together a pot, much of it depends upon the coloring, style and shape of the pot. It is great fun to match as well as contrast the plants to the finish it has. In the ground at home, it depends to a large degree of what will fit where and where it will receive the light, air circulation and water it prefers. Kim

• ken-n.ga.mts
    10 years ago

My beds are a mix of colors, BUT, I do prefer white and white blend (crystalline, moonstone, tinike, whirlaway, fairhope). Even though I have more orange, pinks, reds, mauves and yellows. I'll be adding more whites next spring.

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    10 years ago

My favorite rose bloom color is orange with blue & white
    plantings....
    My second favorite rose bloom color is red...
    purple
    yellow

Sunrise at Heirloom:
    {{gwi:289431}}

This post was edited by jim1961 on Sat, Jun 15, 13 at 22:29

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    10 years ago

To get the negatives out of the way I don't care for orange or true red, but do like purplish red.

Since my garden is set among hills with almost no views of other houses, I've used soft colors to blend with the wild setting, including various shades of pink, some apricot, lavender, purple and white. A pale yellow would be very acceptable but the one rose that had it did not prosper. I do have irises that have shades of blue and several yellows, and also yellow daylilies, but I've found that deep yellow roses in the mix didn't appeal to me.

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    10 years ago

I think mass planting/groupings are pretty, but my garden is like a box of crayons-the big box of 64!

• rross
    10 years ago

I grow most of my roses in pots so that I can undo any colour clashes. I try to avoid orange roses and most other orange flowers but I have a few bright orange nasturtiums trailing around and for some reason they look pretty good near red and pink roses.

• rross
    10 years ago

I grow most of my roses in pots so that I can undo any colour clashes. I try to avoid orange roses and most other orange flowers but I have a few bright orange nasturtiums trailing around and for some reason they look pretty good near red and pink roses.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    10 years ago

My newly planted bed out front is a mixture of different shades of pinks, a little red, mauve, yellow and orange, I've been getting compliments on it, very colorful, I love it! I try not to plant certain varieties real close to each other and do limit the oranges. Don't want to sound envious, but if I were in the right setting would love to have something similar to Lesley's lake garden, love her photos! She definitely has a knack for design.

• zaphod42
    10 years ago

I mix my colors based on quirks and personal preference. It seems that all my roses tend to bloom at different times anyway. I don't care for violet reds. Love the orangier colors and warm reds and pinks. Like yellows only as single or semi-double bloom forms. My perennials are a random style too, so it all works. It would be impossible for me to color coordinate. I try to plan primarily by shrub shape and size.

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    10 years ago

There's a quiet space on the side of my home. Pavers create the walkway and I have placed a bistro table and two chairs next to the house. Because it is a quiet place, my garden colors are soft and calming. White iceberg roses and climbers, agapanthus, blue iris, blue plumbago, and thyme which will have a soft lavender flower create the color scheme.

Around the corner is a different story. It is where the grilling area, covered patio, and swimming pool are. This area is often lively and much of it is subjected to many hours of Las Vegas heat and direct sunlight. Subdued colors cannot withstand the sun. Also, I want this part of the garden to look alive, lively, not be subdued and calming. As a result, this is where the multi-colored Joseph's Coat lives, Don Juan, America, Mardi Gras, golden celebration, knock out roses, ( so deep red, multi-colored roses that read ivory with rose pink, soft gold, and apricot tones here in the heat, and salmon pink) , and a medium/deep pink floribunda which unfortunately I do not know what the variety is. These are the lively colors. I shy away from bright orange colors in my garden because with the colors already present,
    it could be too much for my senses... I prefer apricot or salmon, and use golden yellow sparingly. When I look at color, yellow can be the shockingly brightest color there is.

• frenchcuffs13
    10 years ago

Contrast and complimentary colors together. (get out your color wheels!)

I live in the seasonal depression capital. I like things that are bright and cheerful to look at in the garden.
    Red tone purple with coral orange and hot pink is vibrant yet works together. White to cool it and make them pop.
    Softer versions for blending between colors too.

I never use yellow or true red. Always an off version.

Current combo Fragrant cloud, Sugar moon, Tropicana, Lucille Ball, leonardo Davinci and Stephen's Big purple.