Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aprilalliums

Is this 'Dr. Huey'?

Can you confirm my id of this rose? It came with the my house and I never had the heart to cut it down. After some research I think it is 'Dr. Huey' or some rose that has reverted to the rootstock.

Thanks for your help!

Comments (24)

• jerijen
    10 years ago

Where are you located???

That doesn't look like Huey to me. The blooms are too large, and the color too warm. Does this rose repeat after its spring bloom? 'Dr. Huey' is usually a deep wine red.

Is this a climber? Does it cover itself with disease after the spring bloom is finished?

Jeri

• aprilalliums (MA zone 6b)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm located in Salem, MA. It does rebloom but not as prolific as the spring blooms, I think it is a climber which I've managed wrangle onto a trellis. It is also very prone to blackspot after its finished blooming unless I baby it and spray a fungicide.

April

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

If it repeats at all it's not Dr. Huey. Can you get a close up picture of the bloom?

Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's a close up of the flower.

• Zyperiris
    10 years ago

I don't think so either

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Have you looked a Blaze or Improved Blaze. I have one, I'm not sure which really, and I get a beautiful big flush in the spring and then a smattering of blooms here and there the rest of the season.

Original Author
    10 years ago

I also have blaze and do love it. I'm really only looking for an id of this rose out of curiosity and to add to the debate I have with myself every year over whether I should cut it down and start a fresh with another climbing rose I enjoy more.

Thanks for your feedback,

April

This post was edited by AprilAlliums on Mon, Jun 3, 13 at 16:50

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

Here is the very recent picture I took of a Dr. Huey suddenly appearing and blooming in a back corner of my yard.

Dr. Huey
    {{gwi:289780}}

That color is fairly close to the original. Notice the gangly extended "arms" of the canes--very typical of Dr. Huey. But this is a small one that snuck into my garden. Full grown, those gangly extended canes are very noticeable.

By the way, I like the rose in your picture--whatever it is.

Kate

• jerijen
    10 years ago

As Seil notes -- if it repeats at all, this is not Huey.

And yes, I'd guess it could be Blaze. I think it looks delightful!

Jeri

• professorroush
    10 years ago

That rose is the splitting image of Henry Kelsey, a Canadian. 6-7 feet tall, 25 petals, flowers 6-8 cm across, blooms in clusters.

• sunflowersrus222
    10 years ago

I have to agree....that is definitely not a Dr. Huey rose. I just dug one up. Dr. Huey doesn't get so full of leaves either. They're pretty long, lanky and sparse looking. Blooms are not that large either and they are a darker deeper wine color.

• norma_2009
    10 years ago

I would keep it if it continues to bloom. i don't agree with the rarity of Dr huey. My experience is not that good. When I had "suckered" roses they bloomed profusely the first year, then no blooms at all...ever.
    I have had several revert. I have one now I am praying is not a huey, I will post a pic of it. This one is white, most have bright red, and very open. Makes me sad.. Can anyone tell me if this is a dr huey. I cut all the blooms off because they were laying on the ground, and on my other bushes.. Each cluster grew on a stock about 3 feet long and pretty bare until the cluster. Also my roses are suffering a lot of blac spot this year as well as beetles, or whatever. I am in SW Washington state. Lots and lots of rain.

• jerijen
    10 years ago

The photo above is your white volunteer rose???

THIS does not appear to be rootstock. Not conventional rootstock, anyhow.

Note: ALL ALL ALL 'Dr. Huey' is dark wine red.

So, your white rose cannot be 'Dr. Huey.' It's something else. I don't recognize it by the blooms. Can you show us leaves? Buds? Plant? Canes? Prickles?

Can you tell us a little about the history of the property? How early can roses have been planted there?

Discovering the identity of an unknown, "Found" rose can be a really wonderful challenge. What ever you have here, it is lovely.

Jeri

• norma_2009
    10 years ago

Thank you Jeri.
    Here is a pic of the bush before I cut off blooms. The bush was given to me and I planted it there a few years ago. This has been a bad year for my roses. Do you know anything about rosa multiflora? I read that it is a sucker like Dr Huey but has white blooms. I really don't think this is a suckered rose bush. It does have many blooms, and was gorgeous last year. We have had so much rain this year. This is not really a volunteer because I planted it , but she did not know the name of it. I have lost so many rose bushes to Dr Huey, and they only bloom once and are then are ugly vines, which I dig up and discard.
    I would appreciate any help on getting rid of the black too. I have sprayed and trimmed and this is the worse year I have had.

• jerijen
    10 years ago

Can you tell us where and when you bought the white rose?

When you bought it, did you not know it was going to be white?

This is a little out of my field, because it's probably a modern rose, and I deal mostly with older roses -- but this appears to be a cluster-flowering modern rose, growing on its own roots.

If it is on its own roots, it can never sucker to rootstock, because there IS no rootstock.

As to blackspot, I rarely deal with that, here. Our diseases are mildew and rust -- and it is our choice to remove roses which continue to be affected, after the plant matures. Alternatively, you can spray with chemicals, preventively.

We quit spraying roses when the chemicals began to trigger seizures in our dog. (Could just as easily have been us.) It wasn't worth that.

Jeri

• norma_2009
    10 years ago

Hi Jeri
    Our messages must have crossed.
    My neighbor's house burned down, and when she moved she didn't want to take her rose bushes, so she gave them all to me. She didn't baby her roses like I do, and they had blackspot etc. There were three bushes, I didn't know which was which when I dug them up and moved them here. It was a nice surprise to see there was a white one, a pink one and a little lighter pinky peachy one, they are the ones in my pic. I was concerned when the white one had so many long stems with clusters, but if you think it is that kind of rose than i guess I don't have to worry. :) And thank you, I sure hope it is an own- root rose. I hate Dr Huey, and I HATE his suckers.
    Do you know anything about a Lloyd Center supreme? I have been stomping out suckers around it for years and it continues to thrive, and bloom , so much so That I am thinking it may be an own root rose as well. I want to get all my roses to their own root (via cuttings.) I have about 7 cuttings started in my rose garden (fingers crossed). I appreciate your expertise.
    I hope your dog is ok now.
    I have a little dog and he is on the deck when i spray, or in the house, he isn't big enough to reach my bushes.

Below is my Lloyd Center Supreme
    norma

• jerijen
    10 years ago

Hi Norma -- The dog was not out when we sprayed. What you don't realize is that the stuff is still there to be inhaled or absorbed, when you are done.

Anyhow, I don't know Lloyd Center Supreme, but you should look at your foliage, and the foliage on the "suckers" and see if they are alike, or wildly different.

Go to HelpMeFindRoses (see link, below) and look at photos of 'Dr. Huey.'

If you go to some of the oldest photos there, you will find images of the foliage, stipule, etc.

Compare those plant parts with your "sucker," and you will be able to see if that is what you have.

Finally, there is an excellent article on rootstocks (there are many more than Huey) at:

http://scvrs.homestead.com/Rootstock.html

Reading that will help you understand the whole rootstock thing.

Jeri

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Dr. Huey' at HelpMeFind

• kitty
    10 years ago

Norma, in looking at the blooms, stems, and foliage of your white rose, I believe it is the floribunda 'Fabulous!' I grow 5 plants of it and they look the same.

• kitty
    10 years ago

April, I have 50 potted Dr Huey in 4-inch pots that my hubby uses to graft roses onto. My plants came last year from UC Davis. The blooms look the same as yours. The foliage and stems look the same too. Still I could not say for sure whether or not yours is Dr Huey. Funny thing is that I had ordered Fortuniana (white blooms) rootstock cuttings and they sent to me Dr Huey by mistake.

• kitty
    10 years ago

Deleted duplicate post.

This post was edited by kitty on Sat, Jun 22, 13 at 1:10

• norma_2009
    10 years ago

Thank you kitty,
    I think you are right about the "floribunda fabulous." I googled images of it and it is exactly like mine. Thank you so much for identifying it for me. Do you think the peach colored ones in the picture might be floribunda.as well? they grow in clusters too, there are two bushes there and they are similar but two different roses, and a slightly different color.
    Also I have seven cuttings that are thriving, and I am hoping there is a mr Lincoln among them. Two of them have buds, and I am watching to see, anxiously! I got them from another neighbor and he didn't know what they were. I only pray the rain doesn't get them, they are so tiny. I will post pics whan they open and see if you can identify them for me, if you would be so kind..

• HU-978930527
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I rescued several of what I believe to be polyantha shrub roses, from a new neighbor that didn't want any of the many rose bushes that were there. There was only 1 that was a red and it was a very small bush. It's a deep velvety red. This 1st bloom seems to have a lighter color on the back side of some of the petals. Most of the other rose bushes are various pinks. Some didn't make the transplants, as the neighbor's sun did a butcher job of digging them all up one day. I managed to save 8, 2 really big ones I found homes for in large pots. Most of them have vicious thorns, making pruning difficult. I did prune all of them way down so that they could start over. It's not a mini rose, just starting over and it's possible that most of the rest of it got thrown away. Sorry about the blurry photo, I got too close.

• Darragh Worledge
    2 years ago

For what it's worth, Rosa muliflora rootstock produces whitish, single flowers. The plant throws out huge octopus canes that reach over six feet in height.