Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andreark

Turface question

andreark
10 years ago

The Turface I ordered for my new raised bed arrived 3 days after my new raiised garden was built and my 7 new roses planted.

The question is: Should I sprinkle the Turface on top and work it in a bit, or should I just forget it?

My new garden:

34 cu ft of fill soil (mineral)
4 cu ft of top soil (containing compost)
3 cu ft of EB Stone rose mix
3 cu ft of NavletâÂÂs compost
1.5 cu ft of EB StonâÂÂes aged steer manure

This is sitting over 8 inches of previously amended soil, which in turn is over dark clay.

andrea

Comments (6)

• michaelg
    10 years ago

It won't do any good on top. You can use it in potting mixes.

This post was edited by michaelg on Tue, Jun 11, 13 at 13:22

• andreark
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Didn't think so. Well, I thought I'd ask.

Thanks,

Andrea

• susan4952
    10 years ago

I amended an old existing bed this year. Applied a few handfuls and carefully raked it in beyond the drip line of each rose. It seems to be working in well. The plants seem to like it.

• andreark
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks I'll do it!

andrea

• michaelg
    10 years ago

If the dirt you get is heavy clay (can form a rubbery noodle when wet), it's very important that you avoid compacting it. Don't work it or step on it when it is wet. Use lots of water to settle the soil after planting. With the organic matter you are adding, it will develop some crumb texture if you never compact it.

• andreark
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks michael. The fill dirt that was used was not nearly as heavy and hard as what I ran into about a foot down in my yard. The soil and amendments were thoroughly mixed and look and feel great. The bed was built on Monday and I have watered both the roses and the entire bed (not as much) twice I think they have had enough BIG waterings. I will now lighten up on it. I will be putting an inch or so of lovely compost down Saturday

These roses are ALREADY happy and are making new babies. The quality of the plants is so much better than my first 6.

I brought them home from the nursery the prior Wed. Firefighter had several blooms on it when I brought it home. They still haven't opened fully. This is going to be another long lasting blossom like Brandy.

Sorry, I'm rattling on again. This is just so exciting for me.

andrea