Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
landerson726

Roses Dying - Leaves Yellowing and Fall off

landerson726
9 years ago

I have two tea roses that I purchased about 2 weeks ago. They were doing fantastic in their pots. I purchased two bags of Vigoro Garden Soil and a bag of Black Kow. I churned up the dirt really good and planted the roses. After that they started dying with yellow leaves that get black spots and then fall off. It has spread to my other plants in the bed as well - Azalea and a knock out rose bush. I have posted pictures. I do not know what to do!

Comments (10)

• landerson726
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a picture of how it has spread to my Azalea bush planted about 6 feet away.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

Couldn't tell you about azaeleas since I don't know if they respond the way roses do, but about the roses, they are just suffering from a little transplant shock. Just pluck off and destroy the yellow leaves and wait for about a month or so to see what the roses do.

By the way, I wasn't clear if you meant the roses are NOW planted in containers or in the ground. Either way, they need good drainage (and plenty of sun) or they will get yellow leaves that fall off. If your drainage is good, then it may be that you are watering them too much--or if they are in containers, that they are setting on trays that retain the water, which is too much for the plants.

Other things can cause yellowing leaves also--like under-watering! But if you are like most new rose owners, you are more likely over-doing the care and watering too much as a result. But you will have to determine whether your soil is moist or very dry. I still think it is mostly transplant shock.

Let us know how it's going in about a month--OK?

Kate

• landerson726
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the response Kate.

I was watering them almost every day for a minute at a time. Perhaps too much. To clarify, I planted them in the ground and then they started to have problems. Hopefully it is just transplant shock.

Do you think I need to remove all the dirt and replant with new dirt? A home improvement store said I needed to dig back up the rose bushes and replace all the dirt in that area with a Tree and Shrub type dirt. The person stated Black Kow was terrible for roses and to never use it on them. I wasn't sure if they were just trying to sell me more dirt or what.

If I just need to wait I will let you know in a month how they are.

Thanks so much.

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    9 years ago

I agree with Kate...

I doubt any fungus spread from your rose to your Azalea's...
    Azalea's probably have their own type of fungus that attacks them...

How exactly did you plant your roses. Did you mix black kow in with your native soil??? How much??? Thanks

This post was edited by jim1961 on Mon, Jun 30, 14 at 13:43

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

I don't know if Black Kow is a problem or not. You might post a separate post asking just about it.

My instinct is to quit fussing over the plants. Give them time to settle in and start growing some good roots. Then they will start putting out some new growth--and eventually blooms!

There is an azalea forum here at GW. You might try it also--about your azaleas.

Good luck.

Kate

• landerson726
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I mixed the Black Kow with the Vigoro soil and existing soil. I was dumb as in I just threw a bunch of things together not realizing how delicate things were. My first time planting roses! I was just worried I blew $50 and they were going to die. I will check out the Azalea forum too.

I will do as Kate says and let the roses get settled in. Thanks so much everyone, I am at ease!

• michaelg
    9 years ago

If you mixed up to two inches of the manure into your native soil, that's fine. Obviously bagged manure is not bad for roses unless you overdo it.

No telling what the Vigoro stuff is, but it's not really soil. Those bagged products may contain things like composted sawdust and spent mushroom soil (more manure). This product contains fertilizer added.

You have already added a lot of nutrients, so don't fertilize this season.

Sounds like you may be overwatering. Roses in summer use about one inch per week (for a mature plant 4'x3'). One inch is about 5 gallons per square yard. So measure the output of your hose and give 2 gallons twice a week. Once the plants are well established, give 4-5 gallons once a week.

The leaves in the picture are just dead leaves, nothing to be alarmed about. But if you are in the Southeast or Texas you need to be ready to identify blackspot disease and control it with fungicide. Look at images online. The sports have raggedy margins.

9 years ago

What was wrong with your native soil landerson726?
    Unless your soil is really bad or something roses would probably grow just fine in your native soil.
    As long as the soil drains well with no standing water.

I think I'd do the same as Kate suggests...Give them some time and see what happens...

• landerson726
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I used new soil because I thought I was giving them the best opportunity for growth by buying something - apparently not. It looks like I could have saved a lot of money by not buying dirt - good advertising on the dirt makers part I guess!

I live in zone 8A (lower Alabama on the Gulf Coast) and I have heard of blackspot disease which got me worried. There is no stand still water. I had no idea they needed that little of water. I was way over doing the watering!

9 years ago

I had a part of our yard sink from when I buried our pet dog this winter.
    I purchased garden soil from our hardware store in which I filled in the sinking areas. You know I'm having a hard time getting grass to grow in that location...

Anyhow that's my situation and not yours...
    Kate and Michaelg advice sounds good to me...

Best wishes and I hope things work out! Post a pic of your blooms someday! Thanks...