Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nd1964

Bayer advanced 3 in 1 burns leaves?

ND1964
10 years ago

Hi!
I sprayed BA 3 in 1 (2 cups per 2 gallons) on all my roses a few days ago, a few days after spraying them with BA disease control (for black spots). All roses are doing fine except the PJP which has a tons of yellow/dead leaves now. Any idea what's going on here?

Thanks,
Enjay

Comments (8)

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Are they spotted? If so they were already infected with BS before you sprayed but just not showing symptoms yet. The spray does not "cure" already infected leaves. It prevents uninfected ones from getting it.

• michaelg
    10 years ago

Could you post the exact full name of this product? The only 3-in-1 on the Bayer page is a RTU product in a spray bottle, not a spray concentrate. Did you use the All-in-One drench product as a spray?

Near-universal advice from experienced and knowledgeable growers is not to purchase or use combination products. The pesticide producers are trying to take advantage of beginners' uncertainty about how to diagnose and deal with various problems.

• ND1964
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks. The name is BA 3-in-1 Insect, disease an Mite control concentrate. Supposed to give me 30 day protection.
    This particular rose (PJP) did not have many black spots, but i was seeing some 'white spots'? indicating something was eating the leaves. But the yellow leaves are making the whole bush look like it is fall season!
    Enjay

• michaelg
    10 years ago

OK then. The correct concentration seems to be 5.2 oz for 2 gallons, not 16 oz (2 cups). So that's a triple dose. Most miticides are a risk for burning foliage at normal concentrations. Also you just used the systemic fungicide separately, so that's a 4x dose of tebuconazole. Using the Disease Control (tebuconazole only) every two weeks will stop the blackspot from spreading. It will actually kill the fungus within the leaf, but it won't erase the spots.

Chances are you don't need the insecticide and miticide. I never do.

Probably PJP will recover. Good luck.

• ND1964
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Michael. Not sure how I made that mistake in conversion but it feels so stupid now. And also, I used 2 * 3/4 cups....still a lot more than what's recommended.
    Thanks again,
    Enjay

• rosetom
    10 years ago

Got to be careful. ;-) Every rose spray will burn under the right conditions. I agree with everyone else, though - it sounds like you had some BS leaves that were ready to "flip over." I've seen them do that when I've sprayed and it's had me scratching my head on whether I made the mixture right.

Spray burn is very distinct - usually at the edges the leaves will turn a dead, crinkly dark brown. Sometimes this will happen in the middle of a leaf, too, if it was cupped so that it caught more of the spray. If it's bad enough, you can kill most of the leaves on a bush. (Don't ask me how I know that.)

• ND1964
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I took a picture this evening.
    Enjay

• michaelg
    10 years ago

Looks like many of those dying leaves have blackspot or cercospora spot. I think it will be OK.

Everyone here has made bad mistakes. It's good that you have been so forthcoming.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus