Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nummykitchen

Finally some blooms from my Michigan garden!

nummykitchen
9 years ago

Seems like I've been waiting forever for that spring flush! All of these are Snowmageddon 2014 survivors :)

Bouquets I made for my children's teachers for the last day of school yesterday:
{{gwi:290021}}

Angel Face
{{gwi:290022}}

Dream Come True
{{gwi:290025}}

Gold Medal
{{gwi:290026}}

Kordes Perfecta
{{gwi:290029}}

{{gwi:290031}}

Peppermint Parfait (own root)
{{gwi:290033}}

Pope John Paul II (own root)
{{gwi:290036}}

Flaming Peace
{{gwi:290037}}

{{gwi:290038}}

{{gwi:290039}}

Strawberry Ice (own root)
{{gwi:290041}}

Senior Prom
{{gwi:290042}}

Love
{{gwi:290043}}

Camelot
{{gwi:290044}}

Lady Diana

Heirloom

White Knight

Henri Matisse (own root)

CL Pink Don Juan

Memoriam (own root)

Peace

Thanks for letting me share! Hope you enjoyed a walk through my garden :) I'm working on a compiling a list of winter survivors and fatalities -- like Seil's, I think those are so helpful for people in similar zones!

Take care,
Andrea

Comments (12)

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

Oh, Andrea, they're gorgeous! Those are lucky teachers to get such beautiful bouquets and that Flaming Peace is to die for!

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    9 years ago

Your roses are lovely. I'm more of an old rose lover but Peppermint Parfait, Angel Face, Heirloom and Memoriam really caught my eye. I'm glad you still have such beautiful roses in spite of your godzilla of a winter.

Ingrid

• madri_gw
    9 years ago

Those blooms are awesome Andrea. Every rose looks picture perfect. That's so nice of you to share them with your kids teachers. I am sure they were delighted to get those flowers.
    The dream come true, flaming peace and camelot are absolutely gorgeous.
    After seeing blooms like this, I always feel, it's worth the effort and struggle we endure in growing roses, trying to over come all the adversities like weather.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    9 years ago

Andrea - So glad to see your beautiful roses. And what a sweet gesture, to make bouquets for your kids' teachers. Your roses are all gorgeous. Seems like you Michigan gardeners have a special touch, even with the terrible winter you had.

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    9 years ago

Fantastic photos NummyKitchen! I guess it was worth your wait! :)

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    9 years ago

Lovely!!! So many looking perfect after your killer winter...well done!

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

Love your photos--especially Dream Come True and Flaming Peace. But Peace is always beautiful, isn't it!

Kate

• iris_gal
    9 years ago

What gorgeous blooms!

• canadian_rose
    9 years ago

Kordes Perfecta is stunning!!!! What do you think of the fragrance??

Henri Matisse and Pink Prom are gorgeous too.

I enjoyed ALL of them. Wow!!
    Carol

• nummykitchen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, everyone!

Seil -- The teachers loved the flowers, I was just sad I didn't have enough to make bouquets for all of the staff like secretary, music teacher, etc. -- I just did not have the blooms available this early after such a harsh winter so I decided I would just do each child's teacher. Flaming Peace sure put on a show!

Ingrid -- thank you! I am just getting into roses and adore the old garden roses, even though I grow mostly new ones. I need some more room so I can have a special old garden rose corner! For now I will just have to visit the forum and enjoy looking at those!

Madri -- Thanks, the flowers were a big hit at the school! Everyone wanted to smell them and couldn't believe they were all from my garden. I love seeing photos of roses from everywhere but it is special to see some pretty ones come from colder zones, and the spring is so special after being inside for months!

Sara-Ann -- Thank you! I love seeing the other Michigan gardens on here, gives me some hope that I can keep my garden going!

Jim -- Thanks, yes it was definitely worth the wait! I planted a whole second row late last season so I'm seeing a lot of these bloom for the first time and it is delightful!

Martinca -- Thank you, yes it was quite the winter up here! Surprisingly I lost more during the 12/13 winter, but I think that was because I was a newbie and not planting properly for my zone.

Kate -- Thanks! Yes, Dream Come True is an eye catcher, my husband even commented on that one! Peace is always a gorgeous rose, I agree! I have some more photos I took today of that bloom opening up and it is even prettier all full and pink tipped!

{{gwi:290058}}

Iris-gal -- Thank you! It is a pleasure to share!

Carol -- Thank you! I agree about Kordes Perfecta, I could not believe that bloom form, and it held for at least two days! I planted my two Kordes Perfectas last year so this is my first time seeing them bloom as established (or at least second year) roses and they are really a treat.

Thanks for letting me share :)

Andrea

• mark_roeder 4B NE Iowa
    9 years ago

You have some great roses. You carefully considered your selections.

• sweetvenge
    9 years ago

Wonderful collection of roses,especially like your photos of Dream Come True and Strawberry Ice

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner