Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New canes or Suckers?

Posted by Venomuse none (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 16, 14 at 13:18

Hi there!

I am new to roses, just bought my first Heritage this spring and it's now in the ground. It took about 2 months for it to do anything but in the past week we had like 3 days of rain and now it's shoots are coming in quickly and nicely. I do have a question. The place I got the rose from is RU and it's an own root. It's got these new canes? coming out from the bottom of the stem and it looks like they are actually coming from the stem itself on the bottom.

I did contact them and they told me it's new canes I should let them go.

Has anyone else had something like this with Own root , please advice. I don't want to accidentally find out that those are suckers and watch the main rose die.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New canes or Suckers?

• Posted by AquaEyes 7 New Brunswick, NJ (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 16, 14 at 13:46

When a rose is own-root, any suckers which grow will also be the same rose, since there is no understock. So if you bought 'Heritage' from Roses Unlimited, those new shoots are also 'Heritage.' In the words of Martha Stewart, "it's a good thing."

:-)

~Christopher

o

Any shoots of own-root 'Heritage' are good shoots.

Suckers, by definition, are basal shoots you don't want. On grafted plants, these are shoots from the rootstock. Also, certain old gallica and scotch roses are invasive when on their own roots, with shoots popping up far from the plant. Both types of unwelcome shoots are called suckers.

o

Awesome, thank you so much for answering my questions :) glad to hear they are good shoots. Will just let them go and see what it does, since it's finally seem like it has woken up and is doing well.

o

• Posted by AquaEyes 7 New Brunswick, NJ (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 16, 14 at 14:26

Basically, grafted/budded roses are "two plants in one" -- the roots are one variety, and the top-growth is another. Suckers (new shoots from the roots) are new top-growth from the root variety, and something you DON'T want.

But own-root roses are the same rose all the way through, top and bottom. So if new top growth comes from the roots, it will be the same as pre-existing top-growth. If the new shoots are not where you want them to be (as in Gallicas and Spinosissimas), then certainly remove them. But in your pic, those new shoots will help to develop a fuller, bushier plant than would be possible from a grafted/budded rose.

:-)

~Christopher

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here