Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nickjoseph

Confusion about rose suckers

This winter was horrible on a number of my bushes. One (Gemini) did terrible last year & everyone told me to dig it out--dead. Left it, & it was one of my most gorgeous bushes. This year, it has some very small leaves starting above the bud union on a main branch, but other leaves budding from lower. I cannot tell if these are basil stems or suckers. Do suckers ever bloom normal roses? Thanks!

Comments (5)

• paparoseman
    9 years ago

Is it grafted? Do the new canes/growth have few or no prickles? Dr. Huey is a VERY common root stock and it will send out arching canes that are pretty much devoid of prickles. It blooms once in early summer and then the foliage drops off due to black spot no matter what part of the country it is in.

• michaelg
    9 years ago

Best way to tell is to dig down and see whether the shoots are coming from the graft or below that. Otherwise, compare leaves and thorns with normal growth from the scion (if any). Pay attention to serration and leaflet shape, not so much leaflet size. Finally, you can let the shoot grow for 8 weeks and see if it sets a flower bud. Rootstock shoots will not bloom in their first season of existence, but only after going through a winter. Rootstock shoots bloom as the rootstock variety, usually 'Dr. Huey'.

• nickjoseph Milwaukee, WI
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I "inherited" about 12 bushes when we moved into our home 21 years ago. Some of the original are still thriving--about 2 or 3 bushes; the rest about 9 were planted minimum way over 5 years ago. Not sure what a "Huey" is. When I replanted over 5 years ago, I just went by suggestions & bought bushes. Should have saved the tags of what these roses are. Doing that now when I replace & a lot more research. Live & learn. I have an over 21 year old red rose that I thought I lost. It is coming back with buds. It did the same thing over the last few years--when I pruned, deep burgundy stems that didn't feel real woody grew, but got stronger over the season with lots of beautiful red roses. Weird.... I have a red bush that has been there for many, many years that has had signs of mosaic on some of the leaves--yet it grows tall, strong & full of beautiful red roses all season. I'm digging out the 1/2 dead, terribly thorny hardly every blooming eyesore --Othello today, and replacing it with hopefully a hearty healthy one. I'm assuming that a sucker is going to grow very tall with weird looking leaves and no roses.

• michaelg
    9 years ago

Dr. Huey is the most common rootstock variety. See link.

Nick, take a look at my post above to see if it is clear to you, and ask questions if it isn't. A grafted plant consists of two different varieties physically stuck together above and below. The rootstock can survive after the scion dies. Or sometimes the rootstock sends up shoots while the scion is still alive. These can crowd out the scion variety.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dr. Huey

• jerijen
    9 years ago

No. Suckers are simply rootstock, and rootstock plants do bloom.

They just don't bloom like the rose you purchased. And MOST rootstocks bloom only once a year, spring-or-summer.

Dr. Huey is the most common U.S. rootstock, and it is, as noted, a dark burgundy-red once-blooming climber, which has fungal disease problems in most areas.

Although roses are not winter-killed here, I still prefer roses growing on their own roots. They cannot "sucker."