Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
clax66

Why does my Iceberg have two different blooms?

clax66
10 years ago

Hello,
I recently purchases a climbing iceberg for a sunny spot beside my deck. Some of the roses opened up today and I was disappointed to see two different types blooming: some stalks have iceberg roses but the stalks in front are showing rugosa type blooms.

What is this and what can I do about it? It's a healthy plant that I bought at my local gardening centre; it wasn't bare root but came in a container. Was the iceberg grafted on a rugosa stock?

The advice on forums was conflicting: one advised cutting the unwanted stalks because they are wild and will grow to overtake the iceberg. Another forum cautioned against any pruning for the first 2 years of the plant's life.

Some background: I'm a newbie gardener with limited rose experience, in Toronto (Cdn Zone 5b),

Any advice would be appreciated, thank you!

Comments (3)

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    10 years ago

Can you describe the "rugosa type blooms"? Are they white? How many petals? Are you able to post a photo?

Relatively new plants can bloom in different forms during the first flush, so we'll need additional details.

Here is a link that might be useful: Iceberg photos at helpmefind.com

• the_morden_man
    10 years ago

Pictures would really help a great deal. Both of the blooms and of the foilage of the apparent non-Iceberg variety.

Also, climbing Iceberg is not really a great choice for our climate and zone. It isn't hardy enough to be a true climber each year and since it is also somewhat BS prone, this tends to weaken the plant going into the following year. The shrub version of Iceberg does just fine here however and has enough vigour to regrow each year despite the BS.

• clax66
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Diane,
    I just went outside to take some photos and sure enough..the closed rose had opened up a bit since a few hours ago and is looking more like her sister. I've uploaded the photos here.

They...look the same....she says sheepishly:(

Well, that's a good thing! Problem solved!

Thank you for your kind response;)
    Mira

Sponsored
Native Plant Scapes
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
Your Friendly Native Plant Landscape Designers in Loudoun County