Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karolina11_gw

Odd growth - seeking second opinion

Karolina11
9 years ago

(Edit-> Please also see newer photos posted a few replies down. Thank you.)

Hello gardeners! I was hoping to get another opinion on some odd rose growth.

This is quite embarrassing to show so bare with me. I started to kill grass in a small section of my yard last fall with plastic but started a new job before I was able to fully ensure it was dead. This spring it looked dead so I planted a few things in it as my other beds were full. Of course it is now a meadow and I am working a seven day project that requires lots of travel so I have had no time to attack it. So I understand that it is possibly this neglect that is negatively affecting the rose growing in it. However, it looks different than most growth I am seeing so I would feel better with your thoughts.

Background -
The rose in question is a Tournament of Roses Grandiflora planted in the spring/late winter. It is grafted unto multiflora. I am in central/eastern Pennsylvania (zone 6b) so RRD is quite prevalent in the area. The only herbicide in use in the yard is Preen (Trifluralin) and it obviously has not been used in this bed. No insecticides, fungicides, or pesticides have been used. Roses were fertilized lightly with nitrogen a few weeks ago right before the spring flush. Please let me know if I should provide any more information or other photos. I am trying to figure out whether I should just watch this rose, cut canes back (although all canes look odd), or yank it. The bottom of the bush looks perfectly fine but the top has only very skinny odd looking leaves all over. I am not familiar with the growth habit of this bush. Please let me know your thoughts. Thank you for your time!

{{gwi:291018}}
{{gwi:291021}}
{{gwi:291023}}
{{gwi:291024}}
{{gwi:291025}}
{{gwi:291026}}
{{gwi:291027}}

This post was edited by Karolina11 on Sun, Jun 29, 14 at 15:47

Comments (11)

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

It's a little hard to see clearly but I THINK that looks like normal new growth. Many roses will start out with that red new growth that turns green as it matures. I don't see any distortion of the leaves and hyper-thorniness. Watch to see if it greens up as it matures. If it's RRD it will stay reddish and the leaves will not grow out to look normal in shape or size.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

I don't really know. Somehow it doesn't look quite "normal"--but it doesn't quite look like RRD either. Has anyone been spraying Round-up or other herbicide anywhere in the general vicinity? If a passing breeze tossed a whiff of it over on the rose, that might account for the not-quite-normal looking appearance.

Kate

• Karolina11
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Seil and Kate, thank you for your quick responses. Kate, you summarized my thoughts exactly. I pass by my roses with new growth and don't think anything of it usually but this one made me stop and think something doesn't look right. It's the unusual number of thin leaves I think although Seil may be right and they will develop fine. We haven't been spraying herbicide and the closest neighbor's yard is a little bit of a distance but it is possible. I am going to try to take some clearer pictures later in the evening when the light shifts a little. Thank you again so much for your quick and knowledgeable responses.

• jacqueline9CA
    9 years ago

Is it possible that the bottom part has been grazed by some animal? Can't see clearly enough in the pictures, but the roses in my garden which look like that have been torn at by deer, who of course only want to eat the new growth. Picture of one of my culprits attached.

Jackie

• Karolina11
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jackie,
    We have deer everywhere and they're constantly chomping something down so that could be it.

I put some cardboard around it so it stands out more. I think it is much easier to see the distorted leaves I think I am seeing:

{{gwi:291028}}
    {{gwi:291029}}
    {{gwi:291030}}
    {{gwi:291032}}
    {{gwi:291034}}

{{gwi:291038}}
    {{gwi:291040}}
    {{gwi:291043}}
    {{gwi:291045}}

Thank you for all of your help!

This post was edited by Karolina11 on Sun, Jun 29, 14 at 15:33

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    9 years ago

My first glance at the picture, is that it's healthy. But looking closer, it would raise a flag that something is going on. Weather related? Insect? Hopefully, not RRD. Keep us posted. I'm rooting that it is OK.

• michaelg
    9 years ago

Those strap-like leaves certainly don't look normal. Did this odd growth pop out suddenly all over the plant--and after it had grown out normally in spring with the normal green leaves that are visible? That would point toward herbicide, because RRD isn't suddenly all over the plant. It starts on one cane and takes a while to spread to a second cane or become systemic throughout the plant. So if you inspect your roses frequently and didn't see it on just one cane a month ago, I would suspect it is somehow a herbicide victim.

• charleney
    9 years ago

looks like rose slugs on the bottom, but I would also check if it is getting enough water! I would wait a bit, but I may be totally wrong!

• buford
    9 years ago

It doesn't scream RRD to me, but those sepals are weird. Ann Peck is the expert.

• tigerloveroses
    9 years ago

I have kind of the same thing with a store bought "tornement of roses" rose.and I doubt it had rrd or caught one with the other ones untouched.the new leaves look strange,but then I saw some other roses with the same kind of growth.the flowers look fine.i would also wait and see.from what I read,the thing with rrd is that it doesn't change color fro red to green.while yours look green-ish

• rosybunny
    9 years ago

Karolina, I want to let you know that a few of my roses have been doing the exact same thing this year--I think it's the extreme dry heat we've been getting all spring. When spring started, the roses threw out nice long canes to try to bloom, I took off most buds, after that, they began to grow these short candelabra canes with flower buds on top. I'm pretty sure it's not a disease, I think probably just less than ideal growing condition/environment, I'm hoping we will get a cool and wet fall/winter so the roses can get a break from being constantly pushed to grow and bloom, poor things. Anyways if you go to the webpage I'm attaching here, you can see the leaves on that obviously very healthy rose's candelabra canes are different from the big leaves, I don't think it's anything to worry about. Same with the masses of thorns.

Deer damage can also cause candelabra growth, it happened to my Martina Mondadori.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pruning Candelabras