Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gawlt

Curled leaves - is this a problem?

gawlt
14 years ago

Most of my roses have new leaves that are curled / gathered / warped looking. It appears as time goes on they flatten out. Is this normal?

I don't spray and have a minor amount of aphids. We have been hit with 2 weeks of cold, wet weather.

{{gwi:291730}}

{{gwi:291731}}

Comments (9)

• michaelg
    14 years ago

It's not normal. Had any powdery mildew? It can cause waviness and curling, but I don't see any PM. Deformed new leaves along with death of growth tips can result from severe nutrient imbalance-- for example, calcium deficiency can cause hook-shaped leaves like the one at 3 o'clock in picture #2. Has this shoot lost its growth tip?

I'm very familiar with the aftermath of aphids, and this does not look like that.

• jerijen
    14 years ago

No, I know every sort of powdery mildew damage, and this doesn't look like that.

Rose Spring Dwarf Disease???

Jeri

• michaelg
    14 years ago

Jeri, he said it was on most of the plants, and I don't think that could be the case with RSD, which as you know is a rather uncommon virus disease. I'm sure you must be right in ruling out mildew. It doesn't look quite like it to me either, the severe cupping and pleating.

• buford
    14 years ago

I get leaves like that sometimes when it is cold. Could just be stunted from the cold?

• canadian_rose
    14 years ago

I agree with Buford.

My first thought was big deal :) I've seen that lots of times.

IMHO it is from the cold.

Carol :)

• roseblush1
    14 years ago

I agree with Carol. I have seen it show up on several roses, not all, and I just remove the leaf. I have a hunch it's some kind of insect that layed some eggs. Since the leaf is wrinkled, it can't do it's work of photosynthesis, so i just take it out. If it is a bug, the bug is gone, too.

Smiles,
    Lyn

• gawlt
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks all. I think it is either the cold snap we got or the aphid patrol by hand that I did when the leaves were very small.

The bushes are doing fine otherwise so I'll leave nature be.

• susan9santabarbara
    14 years ago

I saw some of this type of damage on some roses about 3-4 weeks ago when we were in the throes of a major thrips invasion. I have seen this leaf damage in previous years as well. It was also cooler than average, which I think intensifies the damage from thrips b/c it takes longer for the blooms and new leaves to unfurl. Just a hypothesis! It's definitely not Rose Spring Dwarf Disease or Powdery Mildew on my plants. Thrips are a year-round presence for me nowadays, but there are definite peaks of their activity, and interestingly this coincided with major thrips damage on my blooms.

Susan

• htwfmol_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

Mine are crinkling, on Etoile de Holland and some on Zephirine Drouhin.

The weatherherehasbeen beautiful really - no cold snaps, nuthin.

The leaves don't look mildewed.

Still baffled.