Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Curled leaves - is this a problem?

Posted by gaw1 5/6 Lake Tahoe Sierr (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 23, 09 at 14:41

Most of my roses have new leaves that are curled / gathered / warped looking. It appears as time goes on they flatten out. Is this normal?

I don't spray and have a minor amount of aphids. We have been hit with 2 weeks of cold, wet weather.

wrinkled leaves 1

wrinkled leaves 2

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Curled leaves - is this a problem?

It's not normal. Had any powdery mildew? It can cause waviness and curling, but I don't see any PM. Deformed new leaves along with death of growth tips can result from severe nutrient imbalance-- for example, calcium deficiency can cause hook-shaped leaves like the one at 3 o'clock in picture #2. Has this shoot lost its growth tip?

I'm very familiar with the aftermath of aphids, and this does not look like that.

o

No, I know every sort of powdery mildew damage, and this doesn't look like that.

Rose Spring Dwarf Disease???

Jeri

o

Jeri, he said it was on most of the plants, and I don't think that could be the case with RSD, which as you know is a rather uncommon virus disease. I'm sure you must be right in ruling out mildew. It doesn't look quite like it to me either, the severe cupping and pleating.

o

I get leaves like that sometimes when it is cold. Could just be stunted from the cold?

o

I agree with Buford.

My first thought was big deal :) I've seen that lots of times.

IMHO it is from the cold.

Carol :)

o

I agree with Carol. I have seen it show up on several roses, not all, and I just remove the leaf. I have a hunch it's some kind of insect that layed some eggs. Since the leaf is wrinkled, it can't do it's work of photosynthesis, so i just take it out. If it is a bug, the bug is gone, too.

Smiles,
Lyn

o

• Posted by gaw1 5/6 Lake Tahoe Sierr (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 25, 09 at 19:40

Thanks all. I think it is either the cold snap we got or the aphid patrol by hand that I did when the leaves were very small.

The bushes are doing fine otherwise so I'll leave nature be.

o

I saw some of this type of damage on some roses about 3-4 weeks ago when we were in the throes of a major thrips invasion. I have seen this leaf damage in previous years as well. It was also cooler than average, which I think intensifies the damage from thrips b/c it takes longer for the blooms and new leaves to unfurl. Just a hypothesis! It's definitely not Rose Spring Dwarf Disease or Powdery Mildew on my plants. Thrips are a year-round presence for me nowadays, but there are definite peaks of their activity, and interestingly this coincided with major thrips damage on my blooms.

Susan

o

Mine are crinkling, on Etoile de Holland and some on Zephirine Drouhin.

The weatherherehasbeen beautiful really - no cold snaps, nuthin.

The leaves don't look mildewed.

Still baffled.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here