Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andreark

Bloodmeal, Alfalfa pellets,Rose Fertilizer timing

andreark
10 years ago

If you are going to use all three amendments, how often would you apply them? And if you would only apply one or two, how often would you apply it/them?

I used a rose fertilizer a little over a month ago. Then two days ago, I used 2 TBSPs of Bloodmeal. I know that Alfalfa pellets and Bloodmeal both help with Nitrogen. Would you use both (at different times) or just one?

andrea

Comments (4)

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

Alfalfa breaks down slowly compared to blood meal. I might get results for several years from an application of alfalfa. blood meal is more fast-acting and more short term, like a candy bar.

Keep in mind that soil and climate will influence results. In a light sandy soil with frequent rainfall nutrients are quickly washed below the root zone. In an area with heavy clay soil and modest rainfall, nutrients are better retained and available to the plant.

Temperature, rainfall, and humidity are also a factor. "Organic" fertilizers break down into a form plants can use via microorganisms naturally present in the soil; when the soil is cold, the microorganisms go dormant or exhibit very little activity. So climates with a long growing season can take more fertilizer than northern climates with a short growing season. Soil that stays evenly moist rather than drying out significantly between rainfalls or irrigations will also break down "organic" fertilizer faster.

For any fertilizer with instructions on the package, follow the instructions on the package!

Keep in mind you can kill a rose with kindness by overdoing the fertilizer. Young roses especially are more vulnerable.

Observe, observe, observe. Educate your eye as to what a thriving rose plant looks like. Are the leaves plentiful and deep green? During the growing season, does new growth appear immediately after the last flush of flowers is complete and deadheaded (or even before)? Walk around the neighborhood or visit a garden center. How do neighborhood roses and garden center roses compare? Are they radically better looking than yours? If not, hold off on the fertilizer, you don't need it.

• andreark
    Original Author
    10 years ago

hoovb,

Great response! (a candy bar for my roses?)

I live in the SFO Delta area. It almost never gets to 32 degrees. We have very long growing season. But my soil is dark clay. Not the heaviest or hardest, and not a 'bunch' of rain. My first rose bed has been fertilized probably 4 times in a year and composted 4 times also.

I water often enough that the soil under the compost never goes bone dry. So you are saying that I don't need to fertilize much? My Dr. Earth Fert says to use it every 6 weeks or so. I was just wondering if I could give the babies 'a little' more nitrogen.

MY Pristine has very thick and long canes that have few leaves. I thought that maybe the extra nitrogen would help her put on a few more leaves.

Thanks a bunch,

andrea

• michaelg
    10 years ago

Dr. Earth #3 is 5% N, alfalfa is 3% N. So you could use a cup of DE or 1.5 cups of alfalfa every couple of months during seasons of active growth. Either would have about the same effect. Half-life of slow N is about 6 months. It takes 2-3 weeks to get going, depending on temperature. Blood meal would be for a booster.

• andreark
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks. I think I will continue using Dr. E every 6 to 8 weeks, then a couple of TBSPs of bloodmeal only occasionally. I will post the results (photos) in a month or two.

Thank you all for the help. I'm having a great time with these beauties.

andrea