Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amelie325

Dark Red Compliment for Munstead Wood?

amelie325
10 years ago

Hey all!
I'm remaking a flower bed into a deeper red/purple/magenta-y color scheme (after realizing I had no red roses, gasp!). I bought Munstead Wood and really love the color and Charles de Mils, both of which I'm planting in the bed. I have one or two more spaces open for similar toned roses. Also, I'll probably put William Jesse along the top of the wood fence.
Does anyone have any recommendations? I like the purple-violet undertone of red roses, and would considered violet roses, too. Would prefer more compact or smaller shrubs, similar in size to MW. Looking for some roses that would compliment MW and CdM, in hue/tone.
Thanks!

Comments (14)

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

I highly recommend the dark wine red rose, Ascot, which is available from Palatine Roses in Canada. Its only drawback for you, Amelie, is that's it's a grandiflora and most likely will grow quite large. Pay no attention to what HMF might say about Ascot's final size in its description. This rose's blooms have the many petaled old fashioned look, but in our hot, dry summers, they hold up better than my dark Austins, or the purple Ebb Tide, for sure. The blooming starts early with Ascot and continues pretty much nonstop. You've made a great choice in Munstead Wood, I think. I love mine so far. Since my primary garden scheme is wine reds, purples, and yellows, I have a few others to recommend. Twilight Zone, a purple offspring of Ebb Tide, is really doing a good job of keeping those often fleeting purple tones in the heat. I have three Ebb Tide roses, and in our heat and sun, they are a mess in summer with totally washed out, faded color. In cooler weather, ET's purple can be stunning, but depending on your climate, you may have to put up with faded blooms. Big Purple, is a pretty good choice--lovely dark red blooms that smell great, but it's a big, tall hybrid tea, not a short bush. I also like Wild Blue Yonder, but it's a gigantic grandiflora for me. Austin's The Prince has deepest, red purple blooms, but a little shade is needed for this one, and he tends to be a stingy bloomer. But his size would be perfect for your needs.
    I know there are many more great roses out there for you to choose from, so good luck on you garden remake. Use a few yellow companions with your roses, and they will stand out beautifully.
    Here's a photo of Ascot from last year. Diane

• caldonbeck
    10 years ago

What Diane says lol. I grow Munstead wood with Ascot and Darcey Bussell. That is flanked on one side by Charlotte and The Pilgrim and on the other Lupinus Masterpiece. The pic of Darcey on the DAR website is terrible, it is deeper in person.

• amelie325
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@Diane, thanks for your input! IâÂÂve been eyeing up Twilight Zone, the color seems like what IâÂÂm going for. Ascot looks beautiful! I love globular rose blooms. I keep coming up with The Prince whilst searching on HMF, it looks lovely. IâÂÂll def put Ascot on my next yearâÂÂs list ⺠and thatâÂÂs a great pic of Ascot! I love the colors.

@pat_bamaZ7, IâÂÂve been considering WBY or ET, but donâÂÂt have much info about them. ET would be a good size. Good to know theyâÂÂre fragrantâ¦itâÂÂs a significant trait I look for ⺠Hmm, I think ETâÂÂs color changes would actually work well for that section of the bed. Thanks for the pics!

@caldonbeck, IâÂÂve considered Darcey Bussell, as I keep seeing it on forums paired with MW. Does it smell strongly? And IâÂÂm def swayed towards Ascot ⺠So pretty! I have Charlotte on the other side of a fence from this bed, but I like her. Diane got me thinking, with 3 red to dark pink roses already, maybe a yellowy one would look nice, really pop.

ItâÂÂs a mixed bed, that (once I move them around a bit and divide the bejesus out of them) contains white (with a touch of peach) tall irises, white tall phlox, a big oak leaf hydrangea (white) and white hydrangea, which break up the sea of dark pinks and reds of purple hydrangea and the roses, lol.

• the_morden_man
    10 years ago

Ascot, while a beautiful rose, has very poor resistance to BS.

If you want a lower growing and bushy rose with excellent hardiness and disease resistance, then consider the miniature rose 'Roxy'. It is purple/red and basically an improved version of Sweet Chariot, but with less fragrance. At maturity, it will be about 2.5-3ft hight and 2.5ft wide.

• caldonbeck
    10 years ago

My ascot is really healthy!!

• the_morden_man
    10 years ago

Ascot is not at all healthy here. It suffers BS early and defoliates quickly. It will be removed this year.

However and rather oddly, in my Mom's east coast Canadian garden where the climate is more similiar to that of the UK and where winds are stronger, it has been acceptibly healthy.

• the_morden_man
    10 years ago

Ascot is not at all healthy here. It suffers BS early and defoliates quickly. It will be removed this year.

However and rather oddly, in my Mom's east coast Canadian garden where the climate is more similiar to that of the UK and where winds are stronger, it has been acceptibly healthy.

• predfern
    10 years ago

Do not let Charles de Mills loose in a garden bed. It suckers terribly.

• caldonbeck
    10 years ago

Hamburg Germany is a fair way north, so doing better in Canada makes sense I suppose.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

Amelie, check Zapho's current post "Let's talk red shrubs, floribundas, etc. She's located in Wisconsin 5b, and is very happy with her Ascot. We don't have black spot here (too dry), so I can't evaluate Ascot for that issue. Diane

• zaphod42
    10 years ago

Amelie, my Ascot is currently BS free. Its the first year for the plant so we'll see as the summer progresses. The conditions are right for BS this year but Ascot remains clean while others have picked it up. Amazing blooms!

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    10 years ago

Wild Blue Yonder was a gangly, awkward shrub for me, which grew straight up, with thick canes and not enough leaf coverage. It may be different elsewhere but I wasn't at all pleased with it once it matured a bit.

• amelie325
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey all,

Thanks for the input! As for BS, normally, itâÂÂs only the spindly HTâÂÂs that get it with any vengeance in my garden. This year has been sooooo rainy, though, and Charlotte is getting some BS.

@zaphod42, thatâÂÂs good to know, itâÂÂs def a damp, wet spring/summer here! Good to know Ascot is doing well in this weather.

@Diane, itâÂÂs funny, I saw zaphodâÂÂs post only after I posted mine, lol. But IâÂÂve been following it too for some good info! Funny we both talked about MW, too.

@predfern, thanks for the info on CdM, it noticed that in the drawings VG had on itâÂÂs website for CdMâÂÂs habit. Do you know about the health or anything else? Are the suckers hard to control?