Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
njmomma_gw

Polka rose help needed- see pics

njmomma
9 years ago

I'm just not good with roses. I bought Roses for Dummies, bought fertilizer, spray, etc... yet still, the roses here look less than appealing. Please tell me what I need to do for my 4? year old Polka. Be specific and speak slowly - I've gotten dumber with each kid I have. :)
It's on a south facing wall so it gets full sun.
{{gwi:292281}}
{{gwi:292282}}
some new growth
{{gwi:292283}}
from my spraying?
{{gwi:292284}}
{{gwi:292285}}
{{gwi:292286}}
oh and here's Blaze I practically killed from spraying a rose spray on it.
{{gwi:292287}}

Comments (11)

• michaelg
    9 years ago

'Polka' looks pretty good. There is some blackspot--not enough to matter. How much bloom did you get in the first flush? If areas of the bush (particular canes) don't bloom in May-June, they are winter-damaged and need to be pruned back. There was lots of damage this past subzero winter.

I don't know what to make of 'Blaze'. Looks like it is not growing out well after the accident. Again, could be winter damage to the canes. If you spray with either of the very effective chemicals propiconzaole or tebuconazole (Bayer Disease Control for Roses, Flowers, and Shrubs), you'll have no blackspot and no spray damage either.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

What Michael said.

I was also wondering if maybe they need a bit more water--either more frequent watering or deeper watering.

Kate

• njmomma
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It gets enough water. 2 times a week deep watering if no rain.
    Should I shape it or tie the canes back?

• njmomma
    Original Author
    9 years ago

no other suggestions?

• KnoxRose -7a
    9 years ago

The first rose doesn't look bad, I would pick off the spotted leaves & avoid watering the foliage of the plant to prevent spreading, only water at the roots. I have been experimenting with using corn meal to organically prevent the spread of blackspot, you just sprinkle it on and around the plant, it has helped to significantly slow the spread of BS on my Golden Celebration without damaging the plant or surrounding environment, apparently the alkaline nature of cornmeal deters the growth of black spot spores, in fact the nitrogen in the cornmeal encouraged lots of new growth. I might ask this about polka, since it is a climber, does it have adequate support? It is hard to tell from the photos. I am only guessing at this since I am very new to climbers, but it looks like it may need more support & like you may need to try to train the main branches to grow more horizontally on a trellis of some kind, you will get more blooms that way.

The second rose I would just be patient with, if there are any shriveled tips on any branches I would trim them off, just to be rid of any damaged spots & hopefully trigger new growth, but leave as many large leaves as possible to produce food for the long canes, since all the leaf growth is at the ends your pruning options are limited. I have heard people say that fish emulsion is a good, gentle food for new or stressed out roses, and it can help to inspire foliar growth, some people spray it on, but you can also just water it in, just make sure to dilute it pretty well. Just be patient, keep it watered & feed it every now and then with an organic plant food I'm sure it will bounce back.

Jessica

This post was edited by Dinglehopp3r on Thu, Jul 3, 14 at 10:23

• charleney
    9 years ago

My Polka is stunning, but also it is about 8 yr old. One of the most easy care roses I have. It does like a slight pruning for me, and little else. I get very little blackspot, and I forgot to spray the second time. Wish my camera was working, so I could brag a bit. I think your P. looks just fine. Patience, patience! You will not be disappointed with that one.

• cecily
    9 years ago

I wish Dianne were here... she must be on vacation. I don't know how tall Polka gets in your area; is she a true climber, a tall. arching shrub with long canes, or a big, bushy shrub that goes in all directions. Since yours is planted close to the house, I think you want it to be a true climber but you haven't given it anything to climb on and that confuses both me & the rose bush.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    9 years ago

Can you explain what you think the problem is with Polka? A little blackspot, but it looks healthy enough. It probably wants to be trained on something (trellis, etc.), or maybe pegged (where the tips of the canes are pinned down to the ground to form an arching shape).

Blaze is defoliated, looks like from blackspot. What kind of "rose spray" did you use?

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Climbers need a good root system to really take off and that might take some time especially depending on your climate.

One thing I think I see is that it looks like there is a lot of concrete right where the rose is planted. Maybe a photo of the whole bush will help with ideas for you.

I don't spray other than fish emulation when the weather will be right for a while, for me that means cool temps because the oils in the fertilizer will burn the leaves.

I also will pick off any old leaves that really bother me, but I am not in the same climate as you.

• njmomma
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone! They are concrete pavers and the water gets in between them (hence my weeds) and the rose has about 3 feet (a clematis on each side which may have been dumb) and about 18 inches width. Just in the short time since I posted these pics it has put up a lot of bright green growth towards the top. I just cut out a huge dead cane and supported the main cane with a pole. I will probably go and buy an arch shaped trellis to train it on but they are so dang expensive. The Blaze Improved next to it has, well, improved. It has put up new buds and green at the top as well. I see a hole next to it from some critter so I hope it won't hurt the rose. Dang critters. The blaze was transplanted in the middle of summer last year by necessity so I knew it would suffer but it looks awful. I'm guessing it will look much better next year.
    The reason I posted is because I'm awful with roses (I have 100 daylilies that look fabulous) so I dared to buy some easy ones and I just want to make sure I'm doing all I can for it.
    Thanks again everyone!

• charleney
    9 years ago

My Polka is about 10'x10'. It has fairly strong, stiff canes, but the rose is calling to me to tie it up some, this year. Do not give up on that rose, you will love, love, love it!