Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ziyakr

Distant Drums having difficulties

ziyakr
9 years ago

Hello all,
Last year I planted a Buck hybrid called Distant Drums(own root, planted in ground, from Heirloom), and it did really well. Nearly tripled in size and the blooms were really lovely. This spring it leafed out nicely then just stopped. No new growth, no buds at all and at first I didn't worry but then I started to see leaf damage. They look almost lacy. Now new growth is coming up from the bottom of the plant, and it seems healthy, but the upper areas (it's only about 18" tall so far) are almost leafless and seem basically dead. I'm trying to attach pics and have been browsing rose problem websites but haven't yet found the problem. A few leaves on the neighboring Quietness (also a Buck rose but much larger and older) also look lacy but not real damage like on Distant Drums. I did have some problems with caterpillers eating buds early in spring but they easy (and disturbingly satisfying) to kill.

Comments (8)

• ziyakr
    Original Author
    9 years ago

2nd picture

• ziyakr
    Original Author
    9 years ago

and a 3rd, showing the new growth

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

You have rose slugs. They're the larva stage of the sawfly. They'll be little green worms on the underside of the leaves. You can try and dislodge them with a hard spray of water from the hose or use an insecticidal soap spray. Don't worry the leaves will grow back.

As for it's lack of growth or buds you probably have what are called blind shoots where the cane grows out but doesn't set a flower bud. You can just snip the tips of the canes back to a new leaf set and they should restart to grow out from there and hopefully put on a bud. Blind shoots are often caused by the weather conditions and since it's been such wacky weather all over the country that's probably what happened to yours. You might want to give it a little fertilizer too. Feeding it may stimulate it to grow.

• ziyakr
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Seil! I never did see any little green worms on either rose but after trimming back the damaged sections DD is bouncing back and now has two blossoms. Quietness didn't seem at all bothered by the sawfly damage, just kept right on blooming.

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    9 years ago

(Mostly found on underside of leaves...)
    If you can not find any then they may already be gone either by good insects eaing them or they only had one generation and are just gone for the year...

Right where my thumb is a little green worm (Rose Slug)...

{{gwi:285712}}

Same Rose Slug but now on another leaf by my pointer finger...

{{gwi:285713}}

3 rose slugs on our Mister Lincoln Rose:

{{gwi:288124}}

• KnoxRose z7
    9 years ago

Thank you Jim for posting these photos, I too had several roses that were hit hard by sawfly larvae, completely not aware at the time of what the problem was, then when I later found out what was putting holes in all my roses (thanks to this forum), all the larvae had already been eaten by wasps, so I didn't get to see what they looked like, but now I will know what to look for!

I am glad your Distant Drums is doing better, I just discovered this rose, it's color variation is beautiful, and I was thinking of adding it to my collection as well.

Jessica

• bunnicula03
    9 years ago

I planted Distant Drums band early this spring and it has been a slow grower for me. i did get 2 flowers and the coloring is pretty, will wait to see how this one does.

• ziyakr
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the pics Jim, now I know what to keep an eye out for next year (fingers crossed). Here is a pic of my Distant Drums, recovered, in my new rose bed.