Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynn2112

Your Most Remontant or Magnificent Rose ????

Bush shape, leaf quality and texture, among other things are all important, but the blooms.....the form, the color the fragrance.....the blooms are the star, for me at least. The Spring flush and every repeat is eagerly awaited.
In your garden, which rose or (roses) has the best repeat or the most magnificent blooms?

In my garden:

Don Juan has been in continuous bloom since February. I love the fragrance and dark red blooms.

Twilight Zone, Ebb Tide, Bolero, Black Magic, and Reine des Violettes are having the most rapid repeat.

I am enamored with the individual blooms of Love Song and Pink Peace.

Lynn

This post was edited by desertgarden561 on Fri, Jun 20, 14 at 0:29

Comments (27)

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    9 years ago

Once the season begins, there is a handful of (still very young) roses which always seem to have a flower on them. Not surprisingly, they are are among the Chinas and Polyanthas and Teas:

"Bermuda Spice"
    'Louis Philippe'
    'Marie Pavie'
    'Napoleon'

I'll probably add 'Archduke Charles', 'Perle d'Or', 'Lady Hillingdon' and 'Mme Laurette Messimy' to that list next year. As of now, those four are still very tiny -- LH and MLM actually died back to the soil line, but are coming back from the roots.

:-)

~Christopher

This post was edited by AquaEyes on Thu, Jun 19, 14 at 20:33

• bunnicula03
    9 years ago

Most of my roses are still pretty young - new bands planted last year and 2-3 yr olds. However Mother of Pearl has just been a bloomin' fool so far this spring, as is Pretty Lady and the mini Fancy Pants. But to my tastes Just Joey always wows me the most when it blooms.

• boncrow66
    9 years ago

I love the blooms of my SDLM and I love her fragrance, this is a new rose for me this year and so far my favorite. My sunsprite comes in second with its big beautiful yellow blooms and it's very fragrant. It's kinda hard to pick just one because I also love the blooms on Evelyn, chihuly and strike it rich!

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Boncrow,

I added 3 SDLM to my garden last year. I have to agree with you regarding the fragrance; it is divine. The blooms are very pretty too.

Lynn

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    9 years ago

Souvenir de la Malmaison is overall the most beautiful rose and blooms practically year-round. I've just planted the second Yves Piaget since a gopher got the first one, but to me it has one of the most magnificent blooms. Bishop's Castle and Rosette Delizy are another two very good roses, the former being very fragrant and the latter almost never without blooms.

Ingrid

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    9 years ago

Since the Fall of last year -a few months after I planted one from ARE- Rosette Delizy has really never been without a flower any time I've visited my parent's home. It is a machine.

Marie Pavie has been very good about repeat and beautiful for me. Reine des Violettes has rebloomed regularly so far in its first year and the blooms are often stunners.

Every single bloom from Sydonie so far has been a stunner. I am very happy I decided to try this rose. The foliage is very clean for a Portland/HP, it's now onto its second flush of the year in its first season, and it has nearly tripled in size by now.

I have high hopes for Lady Hillingdon and Boule de Neige which are both now in two gallon containers. BdN has really started to add on growth and bloom with aplomb of late. Lady Hillingdon's first bloom was swoon worthy and reminded me why I am so enamored with her, but it has been the only bloom so far.

Some might say none of these are magnificent per se, but Iceberg, Burgundy Iceberg, Julia Child, Circus, Hot Cocoa, and Home Run are incredibly prolific repeat bloomers from my experience.

Jay

• sara_ann-z6bok
    9 years ago

For the spring flush I would have to say Pink Peace, it surprised me, they were not only magnificent, they were prolific. I planted two Souvenir de la Malmaison roses and they do seem to be in almost continuous bloom and they are beautiful. My Mme. Isaac Pereire is starting to bloom again and the blooms are gorgeous, they just get better, also I've only seen Reine des Violettes in full bloom once and if it is any indication of things to come, it is my most magnificent. I have to mention my Zephirine Drouhin because its size and the number of blooms make it look beautiful too.

My best ones for re-bloom are Belinda's Dream, Love Song, Peace, Liebeszauber, The McCartney Rose, Tiffany, Sunsprite, Double Delight and Pink Peace. Newly planted ones that look promising are Our Lady of Guadalupe, Julia Child and Christopher Marlowe.

• boncrow66
    9 years ago

I feel certain I will be adding another SDLM to my yard next spring, maybe a climbing one and after hearing how much everyone loves their Reined de Viollettes I am for sure adding that one to my list of must haves. I am in zone 8 in Texas so I hope it's one that does well in my zone.

• jerijen
    9 years ago

"Grandmother's Hat." Hands down.

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    9 years ago

My most remontant roses are rarely the most magnificent, since the best rebloomers are the shrubs and other semi-double roses that don't send my heart singing individually but bloom their little hearts out. Among those, my usual suspects are: Bad Worishofen, Smiling Jean, Lady Elsie May, David Barber, Red Ribbons, Solero Vigoroso. The most magnificent flowers of my really frequent bloomers would be Earth Song, Sweet Fragrance, and Jack's Wish.

For me, magnificence in a rose involves deeply saturated color and nice scent. Given that, the ones that come to mind are Frances Dubrueil, Messire Delbard, Mme. Isaac Periere, and Darcey Bussell, The Dark Lady, and Wm. Shakespeare 2000. I agree that Mother of Pearl is a wow rose now that it's coming into its own, and I've been particularly impressed with Anne Henderson in only her second year.

Cynthia

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jerijen,

Images like that of Grandmother's Hatâ¦. oh my.. Just this morning, I decided to be more diligent about feeding it weakly, weekly. Maybe its hungryâ¦.

Nippstress,

Mme. Isaac Pereire was one that I had to work with this year. It was moved twice before I found a place where it could be happy. The blooms are gorgeous and the fragranceâ¦â¦ wow!! It was definitely worth it.

Lynn

• reemcook
    9 years ago

Rain or shine, the star performers in our rose garden are:
    * Eutin
    * Lynnie (Thanks Mr. Rupert for creating this splendid rose!)
    * Tequila

- Reem

• catspa_NoCA_Z9_Sunset14
    9 years ago

Last year, 'Etoile de Lyon' was literally never without blooms from the first part of June through October (would have been May through October but the blooms of the first flush were spoiled by untimely showers and I removed them). Even with stingy water rations this year, the time between first and a prodigious second flush was minimal and the shrub is definitely magnificent (approaching SUV size, perfect foliage).

'Gruss an Coburg' and 'Barcelona' are always good looking and fast on the rebloom.

I am also, as usual, impressed by the performance of 'Lady Ann Kidwell' this year. Always has flowers and, as noted in a comment on HMF, is truly in a class by herself -- really stands out, and apart, with her graceful bloom shape and spectacular color.

• Jasminerose, California, USDA 9b/Sunset 18
    9 years ago

All my roses are new this year and I'm still waiting for some to get their first buds, but Tequila Supreme is one that matured faster than the others and is on its second flush. I love the colors of this rose and it is taking the summer heat well for such a young plant.

I told myself I have no more room for roses, but I dug up a grape vine and gave it to a colleague, so as it turns out, I have room for one more! This is a great thread that is filling me with ideas.

Bonnie

This post was edited by jasminerose4u on Sat, Jun 21, 14 at 2:07

• densiemill Miller
    9 years ago

For me the answer to this is Charlotte Brownell...not my fave but always has blooms. If not for that reason I would have probably gotten rid of her.

• prickles
    9 years ago

Yves Piaget, Jubilee Celebration, then Young Lycidas for quickness in rebloom. For the quality and fragrance of the flowers I prefer YL, YP, then JC.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

Not counting 'Iceberg', 'Belinda's Dream':
    {{gwi:292396}}

• KnoxRose -7a
    9 years ago

My garden is still new so it is hard to tell yet, but so far my most steady bloomers are:

Julia Child who always has a lots of happy yellow flowers with a lovely fragrance, and beautiful, glossy, bright green foliage and a nice rounded shape.

Lady of Shalott is very new for me but has put on an amazingly large amount of growth and buds in the last month, her flowers so far are stunning, the fragrance is soft but sweet, her foliage is very healthy, and I can already tell she will be a big winner in my garden.

Then there is Rio Samba, who's neon bright colors may not be for everyone, but I do love the way the colors change with time. Rio is also definitely in the running for the heaviest bloomer in my garden & the blooms last longer on the bush than any other rose I have, by far... pretty impressive.

I love the above roses for their reliability, but if I had to pick the most magnificent blooms, they would belong to Munstead Wood and to Lady Emma Hamilton. MW has such a beautiful deep, velvety color and texture with a strong musky/fruity fragrance that is amazing. And Lady Emma has such beautiful bright peachy-coral blooms that smell like fresh strawberries covered in honey - just divine... I think she might be my favorite of all.

Good luck choosing from all these amazing suggestions!
    That would not be an easy task!

Jessica

This post was edited by Dinglehopp3r on Tue, Jun 24, 14 at 11:12

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

I have three that seem to always be in bloom here, Julia Child, Home Run and Softee. And they're all planted together so that corner of the rose bed is always beautiful!

• Sow_what? Southern California Inland
    9 years ago

The rose garden at Humpty Dumpty House is newly planted this season, with bare roots and bands. Despite that they're all still small, I've fallen in love with so many. Our little Claire Austin is not my favorite, but she is never without blooms -- typically more than two dozen at a time. A romantic and elegant rose that, like so many Austins, seems to glow from within.

jannike

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

I've decided my Lady of Shalott deserves mention in this thread. So far she seems to lead the way when it comes to blooming and re-blooming cycles in my garden and she continues blooming throughout the entire bloom cycle of the garden. Very floriferous rose.

And I swear she gets lovelier with each succeeding bloom cycle. Here is last year's pic with the sun rays hitting her blooms.

{{gwi:232521}}

Kate

9 years ago

Kate, did you post a picture? I don't see one.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

Yes, there is a picture of Shalott there, Sow what. If you are still not seeing one, perhaps try right-clicking your mouse and then clicking on "show picture" or maybe try the REFRESH button at the top of the page.

Kate

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Darcey Bussell. Without a doubt. Of all the roses in the garden, these two always have a bloom or bud, I think since they were planted a couple of seasons ago, they may have only had a week with out something open and that probably had more to do with pruning than anything else.

Next would be Belinda's Dream, usually has a bunch of buds but has had a couple of weeks not in bloom.

9 years ago

Oh my goodness Kate -- your photo took my breath away! The form is much like Wollerton Old Hall, another beautiful rose, but much paler in color (sort of an ecru with the slightest apricot overlay). Just love your rose!

I didn't see a photo with your post; it may have been the phone I was using. No problem seeing it tonight on my computer. Thank you for sharing this beauty!

jannike

• ken-n.ga.mts
    9 years ago

The most Magnificent rose in my garden is Louise Estes (HT). Lots of big beautiful blooms on long cutting stems that smell wonderful. I have a lot of min/minifloras that cover the bush's in blooms and repeat FAST.

Sponsored
Fairfax Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars53 Reviews
DC Area's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Experts