Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
2014 Impulse/Clearance Rose Purchases

Posted by mirendajean Donegal, Ireland (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 9, 14 at 15:19

I'm sharing my impulse purchases, please share yours!

My garden is full. I'd promised not to buy any more and focus my reduced gardening budget on edibles - increasing my potted orchard & expanding my veg beds.

Clearly, I was unscrupulously enticed by Homebase. They had Harkness roses on clearance for 50% off. I was also seduced by the local Argo supply store's willingness to barter down prices. Finally, I just got greedy.

I purchased Harkness's Madrigal (aka "Courageous" aka "Fetzer Syrah Ros�" aka "King Arthur") it was on 50% clearance because it had been sun deprived, smashed between 6 other roses on a table. I think a little TLC will perk this right up...

photo 87053266-13F3-4898-AEBC-9DEB09A0EE27_zpsgzafthbd.jpg

I purchased Harkness's Easy Does It on clearance because I was afraid that Madrigal would get lonely...and I have a thing for apricot coloured roses...

photo 1B3E4907-1BDE-4513-8667-802821FDA00A_zpsff7xrkdu.jpg

The local Agro supply store has been been unable to sell its 5' Tree Roses. I've admired them for a year but refused to pay �45/$61. I walked in and offered �30/$40 and walked out with a lovely rose...

photo AFD88A83-6D82-47DA-B11B-AA2550C4EFA7_zpsic7t0lhf.jpg

photo 48FE9B61-92D6-4EC5-9E4C-45A3AA82E192_zpshevgm6gt.jpg

photo C7911E72-B3DA-4B99-BEFB-03F97B79E0D3_zpsyyplr6tb.jpg

Finally, our 74yr old Bachelor Farmer Uncle wanted two climbing roses. I purchased
Madame Caroline Testout. I, being a good niece in law, potted her up. Then I, being greedy, kept her because she's too beautiful...

photo E37376A8-002A-43F3-BEF0-660408DDFDEF_zpsgxhvhczr.jpg
 photo F5341EEB-6471-4E40-BFAE-C2C364D55828_zpslvvcibwe.jpg

photo 68579976-0060-4197-BC53-47BA641928EA_zps210x185p.jpg

Honestly, I'm going to try to abstain from any more purchases...Im going to try...honestly!

M

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 2014 Impulse/Clearance Rose Purchases

Bad girl . . . and nobody here is going to blame you a bit! Thanks, enjoyed your post.

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 9, 14 at 15:37

You're singin my song, Mirenda! And if you expect anyone here to chide you over your indulgences your lookin in the wrong place, lol!

I have the 1988 Harkness King Arthur AKA Lawrence of Arabia AKA Samaritan AKA Fragrant Surprise AKA English Sonnet (why do their roses have so many names?) and I love it. Madrigal looks beautiful too!

I think you'll have to take your Uncle with you next time if there's any hope of his actually getting his climber, lol!

o

Thanks guys.

The uncle - who is far too Irish & manly to buy his own roses- has learned an important lesson. Send the niece in law for roses and you end up with a pink-ish rose.

He wanted a red climber like his mother used to have so I got him Paul's Scarlett....then I purchased the more vigorous Narrow Water to cover a particularly unattractive wall.

M

o

My impulse purchase this year was a 'Pink Peace' after seeing pictures this year. About 8 fat buds ready to open.
Then the low 100's temps hit and every opening bud fried!

Love your tree rose. Good buy.

o

I love your M. Caroline Testout!!! Never heard of that rose before. Stunning!!! Lucky you!!!
Wow!
carol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here