i also have tiny holes in my rose buds.

what can i use to get rid of it

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help, whats my eating leaves and rose buds

heres a shot of the bud.

o

The leaves are classic leaf cutter bee damage. They take pieces of leaf to line their nests with. The damage will really not damage anything other than some unsightly leaves. Any attempt to get rid of them would undoubtedly harm the entire pollinator population.

I'm not really seeing the damage to the bud but that would not be the same insect anyway, there are many others that damage buds.

o

I agree - leaf cutter bees. They will stop doing this in a few weeks. Will not hurt the roses.

Jackie

o

ok thanks for the leaf cutter info, but what is the thing that is boreing into my rose buds. they are killing the bud or zapping of any energy to bloom.

o

I viewed the larger version of the bud photo & I also do not see any damage.

o

with so much rain here, I have had a lot of bugs! They too were eating the buds. I found very tiny worms, aphids and a bunch of spider webs. Was advised by the nursery to use Bayer 3-1 which I did when it stopped raining abut it is raining yet again! :( UGH! Good Luck! :)

o

Bayer 3-in-1 will get rid of some of those bugs. It will also kill the predator wasps, ladybugs, and any mantids and create an environment where the bad bugs return sooner than their predators.

For those aphids, rose slugs, and mites, a simply spray of water is nearly as effective as a kill'em-all insecticide. These are the easier of the pests to knock off of rose bushes. The rain should be part of your pest control, and not contributing to the infestation. I believe all of the ones you listed prefer hot & dry conditions.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here