Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What should I do?

Posted by mweinmann 50035 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 28, 14 at 15:35

This rosebush was trimmed back last year (2013) from an immense bush that had been neglected by previous owners for years.

After I trimmed it (it was ~3-4 feet high) it bloomed like crazy on all the branches.

This past winter was brutal, lows down to -35F.

This year, looks to me that the old bush part has died and new bush stems are coming in. I started to prune the old busy back to it's main stems, just to get the dead stems out of the way, but should I just try to cut it down to the ground and let the new bush grow?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What should I do?

Are those the flowers you saw from the older, now apparently deceased parts of the plant? If the flowers look as you expect them to, yes, you want to remove all the dead canes to the ground to make room for the new growth. Kim

o
RE: What should I do?

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 28, 14 at 17:11

Any rose that can survive -35F is beautiful!

As Kim said, just cut the dead off. Leave the good stuff. If you have a good pair of loppers you can reach right into the center of the plant and just lop the dead right down to the ground.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here