Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pattil_gw

Spots on rose bush leaves

PattiL
11 years ago

We inherited a pretty white floribunda (I think) rose in a large pot. After all the new leaves popped out they all got these small brown spots on the top side of the leaves. I sprayed the plant with an organic plant bug spray and a couple days later all the leaves had fallen off. Now the plant has all new leaves and they are beginning to get the same brown spots. Does anyone have any idea what they are and how to get rid of them? Thanks!

Comments (10)

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    11 years ago

Yesterday I began noticing a similar appearance of sort of purplish spots on my rose bush leaves. I sprayed a few days ago with a new product that has spinosad in it. Could this be the cause?

• PattiL
    Original Author
    11 years ago

In my case I had not sprayed anything in the yard prior to seeing the spots on the leaves.

• cecily
    11 years ago

Hi Patti! Welcome to the Rose Forum. Your rose doesn't have bugs, its a fungus disease. Rose foliage is susceptible to many assorted fungal diseases and most roses need to be sprayed with a fungicide in our climate to protect the foliage. Start spraying in early spring and spray (just a quick mist) with fungicide every two weeks during the growing season.

• catsrose
    11 years ago

Looks like anthracnose, a fungal disease similar to blackspot. Try a fungicide or just leave them be. It will clear up when the whether gets drier. Please be careful what you spray. Many sprays are highly toxic, can kill the good with the bad, and remain [toxic] in the soil and water.

• PattiL
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you so much for your help! I will try a fungicide. The bug spray I used was an organic one so hopefully it didn't hurt anything that's beneficial. You all are great! : )

• mamatimms
    11 years ago

Is there a safe spray for use on black spot? my climbing roses are in my herb garden. This is the second or third season I've lost most of the foliage on the plants, and after reading posts realize I need to jump on this earlier, but for now any suggestions?

• Krista_5NY
    11 years ago

In my no-spray garden I find it works well to let the roses fend for themselves regarding blackspot.

They get black spot and drop leaves, however they grow well and bloom well.

I think that organic fertilizers build the soil to create an environment where the roses do well, even with blackspot present in the garden.

• cecily
    11 years ago

Mama Timms, I personally would NOT spray a rose in an herb garden. There are fungicides labelled as safe for agricultural use (think apple trees and veggies) but I'd be more comfortable yanking out the rose and replacing it with a disease resistant variety. Choosing a climber depends on where you live.

• Verine Blucher
    8 years ago

I notice that my rose leaves are getting this purplish spot on some of the new leaves. Can anyone tell me what's the problem here?

• Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
    8 years ago

Patti can you post a photo of the back of one of your leaves. The only reason I'm thinking it's not anthracnose is because you said it dropped the leaves. Anthracnose spotted leaves stay on the plant a long time and the leaf tends to stay green where the spots aren't. If you removed the leaves instead than yes it is most likely anthracnose.

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks