Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spots on rose bush leaves

Posted by PattiL VA (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 3, 12 at 15:44

We inherited a pretty white floribunda (I think) rose in a large pot. After all the new leaves popped out they all got these small brown spots on the top side of the leaves. I sprayed the plant with an organic plant bug spray and a couple days later all the leaves had fallen off. Now the plant has all new leaves and they are beginning to get the same brown spots. Does anyone have any idea what they are and how to get rid of them? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spots on rose bush leaves

Yesterday I began noticing a similar appearance of sort of purplish spots on my rose bush leaves. I sprayed a few days ago with a new product that has spinosad in it. Could this be the cause?

o

In my case I had not sprayed anything in the yard prior to seeing the spots on the leaves.

o

Hi Patti! Welcome to the Rose Forum. Your rose doesn't have bugs, its a fungus disease. Rose foliage is susceptible to many assorted fungal diseases and most roses need to be sprayed with a fungicide in our climate to protect the foliage. Start spraying in early spring and spray (just a quick mist) with fungicide every two weeks during the growing season.

o

Looks like anthracnose, a fungal disease similar to blackspot. Try a fungicide or just leave them be. It will clear up when the whether gets drier. Please be careful what you spray. Many sprays are highly toxic, can kill the good with the bad, and remain [toxic] in the soil and water.

o

Thank you so much for your help! I will try a fungicide. The bug spray I used was an organic one so hopefully it didn't hurt anything that's beneficial. You all are great! : )

o

Is there a safe spray for use on black spot? my climbing roses are in my herb garden. This is the second or third season I've lost most of the foliage on the plants, and after reading posts realize I need to jump on this earlier, but for now any suggestions?

o

In my no-spray garden I find it works well to let the roses fend for themselves regarding blackspot.

They get black spot and drop leaves, however they grow well and bloom well.

I think that organic fertilizers build the soil to create an environment where the roses do well, even with blackspot present in the garden.

o

Mama Timms, I personally would NOT spray a rose in an herb garden. There are fungicides labelled as safe for agricultural use (think apple trees and veggies) but I'd be more comfortable yanking out the rose and replacing it with a disease resistant variety. Choosing a climber depends on where you live.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here