Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
st, patrick's dying buds

Posted by andreark 9b (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 7, 14 at 15:49

St Patrick's buds never fully open. They are wrinkled and deep brown at the base. When I remove the petals the core is dead and blackened. I can see no bugs.

I am trying to attach a photo.

Help anyone?

andreark

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: st, patrick's dying buds

Are you in the UK? Because this problem seems to be going rampant in Nottingham!
Florist roses, garden roses, all sorts of HTs are getting this :(
To be honest, I was just about to start a topic on this!
This same thing happened to my "National Trust" HT :(

o

Not exactly UK. I'm in California....

So what is it?

andreark

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 8, 14 at 11:53

I hope someone has a answer for this because it's quite puzzling. Have you had hot dry weather, Andrea?

o

Thanks Seil.

Yes we have had hot dry weather BUT none of my other roses, HTs or Austins, have been afflicted. I hand water the raised bed that St. Patrick is in. (It is raised but built over soil) If I had omitted watering for this plant, would this happen? I water 2 or 3 times each week. So the most this plant, if I missed it, would have gone without water is less than a week.

andreark

o

It could be Botrytis Blight (Botrytis cinerea), I have this problem and I am in California.

o

Thanks for your answer TT. I looked up Botrytis Cinerea and the sites that had info on it said that there is an accompanying grey mold. I have no mold, the buds just
shrivel and die. And the center turns black.

andreark

o

Take some to the County Extention office. Let us know when you get an answer.

o

Botrytis normally affects the outer petals most. On flowers it produces brown rotten spots, not usually noticeable gray fuzz, I have never seen or heard of the problem you describe on a HT. Some cluster-flowering roses abort some buds for mysterious reasons. The neck tissue turns reddish and then yellow.

o

Thanks Michael and Kentucky.

I removed all the affected buds. I'll just have to see if it returns.

andreark

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here