Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
diggity_ma

Climbing rose suggestions?

diggity_ma
11 years ago

I'm putting in an order with heirloomroses.com and looking for some suggestions. We just put in a new fence which I'd like to turn into a support for climbing roses. It's a black aluminum 5-foot fence which goes round our pool, so I figure I can train canes to it very nicely.

The one thing I don't want, however, is a giant frumpy shrub with a fence in the middle of it. :-)

In other words, I'm looking for climbers that can be trained up and along the fence, but don't grow very wide. Fragrance would be nice too. We are in zone 5 (central MA).

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Comments (14)

• Hrose
    11 years ago

crimson cascade climber

good luck to ya

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    11 years ago

How you train climbers on a fence is you spread them out roughly in a fan shape. If you really want a rose that is just going up the fence, then you want a self supporting shrub.

John Davis is a very nice, hardy rose, but own-root takes forever to climb. It took mine about ten years to stop being a shrub, then I moved it, and so far have waited five for a second climbing cane.

Clair Matin is another that might work, but gets more blackspot than I'm currently willing to live with. As does Henry Kelsey.

New Dawn will work if you are 5b and not 5a. It can be a beast, and will require training. If you don't have your lion tamer suit handy, you may want to pass. The same is true of that notorious beast, William Baffin.

If you want to try another nursery, start by screening for zone 4 climbers. I've yet to see a list that only list as zone 5 climbers roses that will climb in zone 5, as opposed to those that will merely survive. Then ask for advice on that list. Probably about half of those will not be able to handle a northeastern zone 5.

BTW, if you blow bubbles when it is below -10F, they freeze. It is incredibly cool when the frozen bubbles break.

• Hrose
    11 years ago

i gotta try the bubble freezing thing this winter hahaa

here's more info on crimson cascade

"Healthy, dark red full-flowered blooms on a shiny upright plant, double bloom, 10' - 12'. Propagated on hardy Rosa Multiflora rootstock. All roses have been grown and tended for in our family-owned rose nursery.

Rose details
    Rose name:Crimson Cascade�
    Other names:FRYclimbdown
    Type:Climber roseFragrance:Fragrant roseRose color:Dark RedBreeder:Fryer, 1991Height:10' - 12'Shrub form:ClimberBloom size:LargePetal count:DoubleHardy:USDA 5b - 9b *Repeat bloomer"

http://palatineroses.com/rose/crimson-cascade

• diggity_ma
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mad_gallica, yes a fan shape is exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks for the suggestion about the self supporting shrub. I'll have to remember the frozen bubbles thing. :-)

Hrose, thanks for the tip on Crimson Cascade. It looks very nice, and fragrant too! I think I'll give it a try.

BTW, we also bought an arbor to place over the gate on this new fence. I was planning on buying two Blaze climbers, one for each side of the arbor. I know Blaze isn't fragrant (bummer), but apart from that my impression of it is that it's a good performer. Is this right? Would it be good on an arbor in zone 5?

Thanks!

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    11 years ago

I grew Blaze in another time and place. It never managed to get above 2 ft tall.

The state of the art red climber currently is Quadra. Absolutely indestructible in this climate.

If you want a repeat blooming climber, for the most part you are looking at Canadian Explorer roses. ANYTHING else is suspect.

• michaelg
    11 years ago

If you want hardy and disease resistant for the Northeast, get Quadra.

• ratdogheads z5b NH
    11 years ago

Hi, I hope the photo works, I'm new to the forum and haven't attempted this yet. We're thrilled with purple splash. This is a 1 year old plant.

• predfern
    11 years ago

I have had good luck with Nahema. It is upright, hardy and fragrant. I am in zone 5a.

Here is a link that might be useful: Delbard roses at RU

• diggity_ma
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Glad you warned me about Blaze - I was just about to pull the trigger on it - thanks!

Rat, that purple splash looks perfect - is it fragrant? If you're in Southern NH then we're not far away from you, so it should work for me too.

Nahema and Quadra look great too - thanks for all the suggestions!

• diggity_ma
    Original Author
    11 years ago

BTW, speaking of the Explorer series, anyone grow John Cabot? How is it for repeat blooming and fragrance? Thanks!

• michaelg
    11 years ago

John Cabot in a no spray garden here has good resistance, some repeat, no fragrance that I've noticed.

• bellarosa
    11 years ago

John Cabot gets HUGE! It's a very hardy rose given that is part of the Canadian Explorer series. Very heavy bloom in June, but very sporadic bloom thereafter. Good disease resistance.

• ratdogheads z5b NH
    11 years ago

Sadly purple splash has only the faintest fragrance. It's a vigorous grower with long lasting blossoms. It was in bloom almost constantly until the first snowfall.

• Hrose
    11 years ago

forgot to mention ilse krohn superior climbing rose this one has fragrance too dark green leaves

it may have some die back in your zone

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022