Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tny78

Pot ghetto pictures..

TNY78
10 years ago

Hello, I thought it may be fun to post some pictures of our (sometimes) embarassing pot ghettos (or maybe I just need reassurance that I'm not the only person whose pot ghetto has gotten out of hand haha)! Right now, my pot ghetto is at about 400 roses mainly for 2 reasons:

1) We are moving to our new property as soon as soon as our house is built in about a year. I don't want to put anymore roses in the ground here that I'll end up having to either dig up or root cuttings of.
2) Most of what I buy are band size or cuttings I've rooted and I like to leave them in 1-3g pots for at least a year anyway so they can develop better roots.

So....here it is...my pot ghetto!

Tammy

{{gwi:293239}}

{{gwi:293240}}

{{gwi:293243}}

{{gwi:293245}}

My cutting ghetto
{{gwi:293247}}

Comments (37)

• Maude80
    10 years ago

I think it's ghetto fabulous....lmao... Seriously though, it looks like the garden center of my dreams (all roses)....

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

That is one heck of a lot of pots. They look very well cared for. You must be busy!

• roseblush1
    10 years ago

Tammy.........

Your plants look wonderful. I felt so free once I got rid of my pot ghetto and had told myself that I would never get another plant for the garden unless I had a spot ready for it. So much for trying for wise planning.

A friend gave me ten roses last November which another friend over wintered for me. I still have 8 of them to plant. Of course, I had to move 6 other roses, which are planted, to site the new roses. I am on hold for a week because of triple digit temps, but if I get the other eight planted next week, when the temps drop down to the 70s, I'll have them all in the ground before the serious heat of summer hits ... barely.

Then I am going back to my old rule of have a spot prepared before I get another plant. My pot ghetto always drives me nuts because I never really know how much time I have to get the plants into the ground where they are safer during the high summer temps and don't require over wintering.

Smiles,
    Lyn

• growing_rene2
    10 years ago

wow, I love it!!

• floridarosez9 Morgan
    10 years ago

OMG, what a pot ghetto! How do you keep them all watered?

• bluegirl_gw
    10 years ago

Hahaha, that looks FACINATING! Man, I would love to prowl around your yard!

Don't those little greenhouses come in handy?

I love photos of beautiful finished gardens but I also love gardens in planning--even perpetual planning--places full of cuttings, plants in pots & trays of seedlings.

• TNY78
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LOL....it really is a lot of work to keep them all watered and healthy. I move pots around a lot...if one looks like it needs more sun, I move it into a sunnier area; if one looks like it would benefit from the greenhouse, in it goes....and so on.

The little greenhouse are wonderful for baby plants. I leave mine open in the summer and put bird netting over the entry...but somehow, a bird still hot in one last weekend (he made it out safe after I took the netting down). I have a more permenant one still in its box in my garage...but thats going at the new property...I think its 8x10ft and made of that accrylic/plexiglass stuff with vents & fans....all the bells and whistles :)

Tammy

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Oh cool! I have lots of pots! Not really a pot ghetto though because these guys live permanently in pots. They are mostly my exhibition roses and I can baby them better in the pots and I don't need to worry about people stealing blooms off them just before a show.

This batch is mostly the HTs
    {{gwi:293250}}

There are two other patches for the minis and minfloras.
    {{gwi:293252}}

{{gwi:293253}}

And this is the seedling nursery.
    {{gwi:293254}}

I have 64 potted roses and 60 seedlings all together on the patio.

• TNY78
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Seil, I knew you would have some good ones! I have maybe 10 that actually "live" in pots. Mostly those are bareroots that I just was too lazy to dig holes for LOL.

Love it!!
    Tammy

• susan4952
    10 years ago

Love it. U are all insane....in a good way!

• Kippy
    10 years ago

My rose pot getto is nicely sitting in bus tubs where kale plants are shading them and my drip system can water them. Other than the 4 with new cuttings that are being babied.

BUT I have probably 100 of moms cacti/succulents in pots. That is the group that I want to work on! (work on selling some of them off)

• catsrose
    10 years ago

I agree with Susan--you guys are nuts! All that work. I can barely deal with houseplants in pots. I stick my bands in the ground as soon as they arrive, run a drip emitter to the newbie and walk away. They can get bigger in the ground just as easily as they can get bigger in a pot.

I have 1/2 dozen in pots at the moment because I have to have my garage rebuilt, so they are waiting to go in end of July. Taking care of them is driving me crazy. Fortunately, all the rain we have had has eased my burden.

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    10 years ago

I feel much better after seeing your pot ghetto - I thought I was the only one with [seemingly] hundreds of plants in pots! I ordered lots from Vintage since they are going out of business which increased the size of it......I am building beds......but these little roses need coddling. Plus.......I have a daylily ghetto in addition to the rose ghetto. Worse.....I collect seeds from my dayliliy hybridizing efforts and those seedlings have to go in pots! Never an end to it! Guess if I was sick of it, I wouldnt do it........biggest problem is to find a spot to keep it all organized and neat. This week, I am making graduated "steps" for shelves with lumber and concrete blocks. Its imperative to place this where it doesnt get full sun, esp. with the hot Texas summer here now. Your ghetto looks very organized and I know its gratifying to go out and see how they are growing. I am thinking about fencing in an area behind my barn where it gets partial shade and its close to a water hose, putting down landscape fabric and placing all the pots there.........everything in one place.....

Hope others will post their pot ghetto photos! Its very interesting!
    Judith

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

This is as large as my pot ghetto has been since about 2006--just too hard to keep them happy in pots. L->R a very virused 'Lemon Spice', a gift 'White Cap' then a 'Snow Bird'.

I was extremely disappointed that 'Lemon Spice' was so badly virused, every leaf is marked, I may not ever buy from that vendor again.

Can't wait to get them into the ground where I don't have to worry so much about them.

• SoFL Rose z10
    10 years ago

Seil I love your potted roses. I grow all my roses in pots too since I live in south florida and we have horrible nematode problems. How long are you able to grow them in the pots? What is your feeding schedule like? So glad to find another serious rose grower who grows in containers. How long can a rose live in a 3 gallon black nursery pot? Do you know a good source for cheap planters? What type of potting soil do you use? So many questions!!!

• SoFL Rose z10
    10 years ago

My pot ghetto rose garden

• DisplacedClevelander
    10 years ago

My husband just asked me what I was reading so I showed him my iPad to which he responded, "NO! Please step away from that contraption and do not get any ideas!".

@ seil: people steal your blooms?! That's crazy. As usual, you give me something to fawn over.

@ dsd2682: that's not a pot ghetto, that is a lovely potted garden. Would you be up for swapping houses? ;-)

@ TNY78: thanks for giving me ideas (more like something to dream about) and scaring my husband

• TNY78
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Very pretty dsd!! I remember when I lived in South Florida (Davie) everything grew like a weed! There was no controlling it :)

Displaced Clevelander: trust me, I scare my husband every day! Tonight for example I have the kitchen table filled with daylilies that I'm potting up, and the stove is covered in the ones I just finished potting & watering...oh, and the sink is filled with the ones I just watered and I'm letting them drain a little before they move to the stove.

Tammy

• bluegirl_gw
    10 years ago

dsd, that is one fine "ghetto". Very pretty.

When I used to have a lot of plants in pots I ordered from Mortons in TN for nursery containers. They were very reasonable, even with shipping, for large black nursery containers.

• Curdle 10a (Australia)
    10 years ago

Hello, first time poster here. Now on this topic I do have something to contribute ! As a renter, I'm pretty much stuck with pots, considering how uncomfortable the landlord looked when I dropped several hints about digging up just a little bit of the back lawn...
    I am just starting my collection, so its only a little pot ghetto..so far...but i'm expecting several more bare roots later this week (cross fingers, haven't got the confirmation email just yet). I'm still experimenting with sizes and varieties, and have found this forum both inspiring and enabling.
    This is where they go in winter ;its still a couple of weeks off pruning time, so most of them are looking a bit manky. I'm hoping that they will get a bit more reflected sun here. As soon as it heats up, they get distributed around all the best morning sun only positions, as it gets very hot here in summer.

• SoFL Rose z10
    10 years ago

Tammy I live right next to Davie. Very close to where you used to live. Tell me did you ever grow roses in South Florida?
    (PS guys, I have an actual pot ghetto, now that I understand the term, I will take a photo and share).

• Campanula UK Z8
    10 years ago

Shock and awe!

you can tell because I am speechless/wordless.

• TNY78
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Curdle, welcome to the forum! It looks like you've got a nice little pot ghetto started! I can understand your landlord not wanting you to dig up the lawn...I get that same look from my husband every time he sees me carrying a shovel :) But we're all very happy to enable you....it looks like you have PLENTY of room for more pots!

dsd, No I didn't grow roses when I lived there. I moved to Orlando for college, and that was close to 20 years ago, and then I didn't get into roses until I moved to TN. It was funny though, I actually thought that your house might be the one I lived in LOL...it has the same double sliding glass doors and the pool looks almost identicle (but we had plain old cement decking...its not in Shenandoah is it??). That would have been a very small world!

Tammy

• SoFL Rose z10
    10 years ago

Hi Tammy,
    No I live in Pembroke Pines but its still pretty darn close to Shenandoah. Small world!
    :)

• Chaoticdreams
    10 years ago

I live in north Florida right smack on the coast with beach sand as my lawn. I've considered growing sand oats, but it's illegal here to mess with them. :P

I don't fee so bad about my potted roses anymore. These look amazing. I plan on putting most of mine in the ground when we move to the new house a bit inland, but some are going to have to stay potted. You all have really nice gardens! It gives me hope the ones that are resigned to the pot might do somewhat well.

My ghetto doesn't look as nicely organized though LOL.

• susan4952
    10 years ago

Hoov, do not give up on LS. It is a beauty...scent wise.

• Airen21
    10 years ago

Wow....im green with jelousy over here......green.
    its like your dream come true, but its not yours!

may i say all of those `Pot Ghettos` are some of the cutest little gardens i have ever seen.
    TNY78 Ma`am, you have a talent for rooting roses, i have always wanted to do that, just get 4 rose bushes and just take cuttings from it and make tons of new plants!

im going to show all of these to my family, IMPRESSIVE!!!

• Airen21
    10 years ago

Wow....im green with jelousy over here......green.
    its like your dream come true, but its not yours!

may i say all of those `Pot Ghettos` are some of the cutest little gardens i have ever seen.
    TNY78 Ma`am, you have a talent for rooting roses, i have always wanted to do that, just get 4 rose bushes and just take cuttings from it and make tons of new plants!

im going to show all of these to my family, IMPRESSIVE!!!

• windeaux
    10 years ago

Oh my . . . There's such a thing as an upscale ghetto? Who knew?

The denizens of my ghetto should be so lucky as to reside in the one maintained by TNY78.

I now face the stark realization that I am a slum lord. I am chastened and ashamed.

• TNY78
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks! Actually only about 1/4 of the plants were rooted by me, the rest were purchased from online sellers :) So I cant take much of the credit other than for keeping them healthy and alive.

Windeaux...it's nothing more than organized chaos! Love the slum lord analogy!

Tammy

This post was edited by TNY78 on Wed, Jun 12, 13 at 19:18

• frenchcuffs13
    10 years ago

Ghetto fabulous! I never thought of putting the ones i want to baby in a container. Mine never did well that way. Probably something i did for sure.

Love all the pics- thanks everyone for making me drool

• frenchcuffs13
    10 years ago

Seil, I'm curious. Do you have a favorite rose(s) for exhibition?

• floridarosez9 Morgan
    10 years ago

Windeaux, too funny.

• ken-n.ga.mts
    10 years ago

Tammy---I like the way you're getting things ready for the new home. Just don't overwhelm yourself. Now, talk about a small world. I grew up on Sheridan St. & 68th Ave (25th ST way back when it ended at 72nd Ave). Graduated from McArthur in "65". My parents stayed there until they past away. My brother now owns the house. My dad grew good roses, so I know it can be done. I also started my rosy thing when I got married and bought a house just off Taft at 73rd Terr back in the early 70's. Let me take a guess and say you went to Cooper City HS. Small world Tammy and dsd2682. :)

• TNY78
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ken,... nope not Cooper, but their rival...Western HS. I've also been to McArthur HS many times when I played tennis is HS. You'll find this funny too: I actually went to school at Saint Bernadette's on Sheridan St. for a couple of years when my family moved to Florida from Buffalo when I was 11....very small world! I think the part of Davie we lived in is actually part of Weston now. It was technically "unincorporated Davie" back then (SW 136th St & 14th Ave).

Tammy

This post was edited by TNY78 on Thu, Jun 13, 13 at 14:15

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Thanks, Tammy!

dsd, love your patio pot garden! That's sort of what I was trying to do with mine, decorate the edges of the patio, but yours is much prettier!

I think my oldest potted one is Folklore at 7 years. You do have to occasionally root prune them and repot them. For me I can go a round 4 or 5 years before I have to do that but for you, with your much longer growing season, that may be only 2 or 3 years. It's usually pretty easy to tell when they need to be repotted. When you water them the water will immediately start running out the bottom of the pot because there's little soil left to hold it. I pull the root ball out of the pot, cut it back by about half and then repot with fresh soil...or find a bigger pot, lol!

I'm always hunting for pots and pick them up when ever I come across a good deal and just stash them until needed. End of season sales at places like Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes or Big Lots are good places to get them cheap. Also check your local hardware stores. I've gotten some good deals at Costco too.

I start out the spring with a slow release granular fertilizer scratched in. Then at least once a month with some liquid spray or drench fertilizer and organics, like fish emulsion. Watering depends a lot on the weather but I have a moisture meter and I use it! It help save me a ton of money on my watering bill because before I just watered about every third day because I didn't know if they really needed it or not.

A 3 gallon pot is pretty small and a full size rose will out grow it in a season. A mini might last a few of years. A lot depends on the rose itself and how vigorous it is. Most of my pots are at least 15 gallons and I have a collection of 20/25 gallon ones for those permanently potted HTs..

For years I used Lowes Stay Green potting soil because it was the cheapest. I recently switched over to the Miracle Grow Moisture Control because we found it at a great price at Costco. As long as it's a good quality potting soil it doesn't matter which brand but I do try to stay away from the ones with fertilizer in them. I want to have control of when and what they get.

I hope I got all your questions, lol!

Yes, displaced, one of my beds is along the street and people regularly help them selves to blooms. I don't mind usually but when they do it the day before my rose shows I freak out! I've put signs up telling people to ask and I'd be happy to cut some for them but it did no good so now I pot the show roses.

Frenchcuffs, yes and no. Usually it's whatever ones give me a decent bloom to cut show week, lol! I'm still working on my HT collection and haven't done very well with those. But I have won mini queen a couple of times, once with Robin Alonso and once with Snow Ruby so I'd say those were my favorites! My show Is Saturday and SR has a very promising bud coming!

• frenchcuffs13
    10 years ago

Wowo Seil- Good luck! Mini's are fantastic, love 'em.

let us know how it goes and post pics! I love seeing all the beauties on the tables