Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about deadheading climbing rose?

Posted by cadence 8b (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 28, 14 at 16:15

I have a climbing rose (Polka) It gets clusters of roses at the top of each stem. Once that cluster is finished, can someone please tell me where to cut on the stem to remove them? Usually, I just snap the faded blooms off but then it leaves just some short stems at the top. So I need to know how far back on the stem do I cut? and where? Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question about deadheading climbing rose?

I don't know that there is any "rule" about it, but if appearances is your primary concern, I'd either trim back to just above the first 5 leaflet cluster (or if the rose has 7 leaflet clusters, back to just above the first 7 leaflet cluster), or I'd just wait a while until the rose got ready to put out some new growth--then when I could see where it wanted to grow from, I'd trim back to just above that point. (You could continue dead-heading the faded blooms while you waited for the new growth to make an appearance.)

Kate

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 28, 14 at 16:51

Kate is right. What you're doing is fine unless those stems bother you. If so cut them back to the 5 leaf set or to where it's beginning to grow from and it will look less twiggy.

o

Thanks so much dublin and seil. When you say cut back to the first set of 5 leaves, would that be the first set from the top of the stem or the bottom of the stem? Thanks again.

o

• Posted by AquaEyes 7 New Brunswick, NJ (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 28, 14 at 23:46

I'm not sure if this is 100% correct, but when I deadhead, I clip down until I see a new bud swelling at the base of a stipule. Usually, this goes along with "the first set of five leaflets" but sometimes it means further down. In other words, there isn't always a swelling bud at "the first set of five leaflets", and if not, I go down to the second or third.

:-)

~Christopher

o

First 5-leaflet from the TOP. However, this should not be a firm rule. With young plants, just pulling or snipping the blooms will usually produce the fastest growth--let the rose decide where it wants to grow out. New growth will soon cover the twigginess. Or for maximum neatness, cut above any leaf below the branching structure. Three vs. five doesn't matter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here