Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19773183

Finally!

User
9 years ago

After the longest winter I can remember, my roses are finally starting to bloom.

L. Odier

Comments (22)

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Zephrine Droulin (floppy after heavy rain) with Melinda's Dream and a Bartzella peony in the foreground

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mustead Wood playing with Abe Darby. Cannot wait the Eden (not seen, but nearby) start blooming. The wire was put up to fend off the deer (which jumped over the 6-feet wall in the past) and turns out to be good support for both.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

In the foreground, the every so-easy Double Knockouts in full bloom. In the back, Laguna, Blaze Improved, Cinderella Fairy Tale and Awakening are rearing to go. Ascots are right behind and peeking out. I have only a small, fenced garden to work with because of deer, so everyone has to share.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lady Shallot. The new "it" rose, standing up very well after heavy rain, nothing shattered "from side to side"

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

South Africa, Sunsprite and Heritage. Three of my most carefree roses just get started...

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lady Hilingdon peeking through Bunker Hill peony (which are almost horizontal now after the rain).

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A brand new Golden Celebration has attracted an admirer...

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And all this is two weeks after the hail storm on May 23.. This would be all as my 5th grader is sitting by me and ask "are you such a showoff!?"

• lesmc
    9 years ago

My,myâ¦outstanding! Well worth the wait, I`d say. LOved your South Africa. This is such a good rose in my garden.Your Heritage looks better than mine. For some reason mine has little bitty blooms! Enjoyed yours! lesley

• sara_ann-z6bok
    9 years ago

Farmerduck - You have some beautiful roses, very nice.

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    9 years ago

Fantastic pics! Thaks for sharing them! :)

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    9 years ago

Beautiful roses -- and what I can see of the general layout! I'm jealous of all you with mature gardens, and trying to catch up.

:-)

~Christopher

• canadian_rose
    9 years ago

But in "showing off" - you make it pretty wonderful for us!!
    So thanks for showing us your roses!!

My goodness - I just love your Munstead Wood!!! Heavenly!! I tried to get that one this year - but they were all sold out.

Your Louise Odier - how does it bloom?? Does it bloom as often as a hybrid tea does - or is it just two bloom cycles?

I'm agog over your Sunsprite - talk about neon!!!
    Carol

• summersrhythm_z6a
    9 years ago

A beautiful garden indeed! I just planted 2 L Odiers and 1 Zephrine Droulin this Spring, I can't wait for them grow up like yours. How old is your Zephrine Droulin? I think mine has a long way to go......It's priceless living with thousands of blooms!

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, everyone. It is rewarding to sharing the fruit of my labor with my "rose friends"!

Christopher -- I started gardening about 4 years ago, and my oldest roses are 4 years old. Your garden is only a few years behind. Unlike your garden that is well designed and thought out, mine is purely a result of my plugging whatever suited my fancy at any particular moment into whatever place I can find. So it is all impulse, no organization or planning. But I am learning as I go along and having a lot of fun!

Carol --- Each of my Louise Odiers (4 and 3 years old respectively) has a second, far smaller flash in the fall, and scattered (very scattered) blooms through the season. It does not bloom as often as a hybrid tea. One of them does better than the other in terms of overall heath and bloom quantity. The one that does better gets afternoon shade. For the most part, I think them mostly as once bloomers as what few blooms they have in the summer got fried quickly in the summer sun and the "flush" in the fall is nothing to write home about. I think that this might be a rose that would enjoy cool weather and lots of water. I don't know whether it would be hardy in your zone, but here (6b) it is tip hardy. My impression is that, the cooler the weather, the more vibrant/layered the color is.

Summereve -- my two ZDs are 4 years old bands, growing as bushes. They get "pruned" a bit by "my" groundhogs each spring. Must be because they are thornless as these things don't seem to bother my other roses.

• bluegirl_gw
    9 years ago

Beautiful!

• sweetvenge
    9 years ago

They look outstanding

• tigerloveroses
    9 years ago

Fantastic. I especially liked the lady shallot

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

Thanks for letting us see the beautiful roses and the garden in which they grow. I really enjoyed this tour.

Kate

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

Your roses look absolutely beautiful, farmerduck!

• Joe Moose, Zone 9A
    9 years ago

Beautiful! Absolutely spectacular!

• sandandsun
    9 years ago

Congratulations.