Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
is there any hope?

Posted by dragonfly_field 8 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 13, 14 at 16:22

Hello, this is my first post on here and I have a couple questions. Last summer my mom bought two tiddlywinks roses from a garden center, one for each of us. I was living in an apartment til recently so she kept them both in her yard. She did not get around to repotting them and did not cut them back. We had a couple of crazy ice storms over the winter and the roses never put out any leaves at all this spring. One has a very tiny bit of green left to it's stem near the crown and the other has some green left in it's canes, maybe six inches or so are green. Is there any hope they will come back next year or are then done for?

Also I had a small hydrangea, not sure what variety, in a pot in their yard and this spring it started putting out two small shoots with leaves and after a few weeks they dissapeared and now there is no sign of life at all. Is it dead? Thanks for any help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: is there any hope?

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 13, 14 at 16:28

In your zone I'd say they're probably dead if they haven't leafed out yet. It was a particularly bad winter for a lot of plants but most things should have caught up by now. Potted plants seemed to take the hardest hit too. I lost 55 out 76 potted roses this year. I also lost a hydrangea in the ground that's been here for years. Sorry you lost your plants but don't give up on gardening!

o

My gosh that's a lot of plants to loose! I'm so sorry to hear that! My mom lost a few other plants along with these. It was just a bad winter. Thanks for your help!

o

Sorry for both your loses.

Seil, That is a lot to lose. I lost all my 5 buddleias and a couple shrubs.
I hope some garden buddies might be able to replace some of your roses.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here