Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenheat

Want a Pink Austin - Trying to decide... Need input

gardenheat
10 years ago

Hi. I garden in zone 9... Las Vegas... dry, hot summers.
I have had success with Glamis Castle, and Golden Celebration in my climate. Abraham Darby was not a happy camper here. I need two pink roses; a medium or deep pink that will not become too massive and a soft or medium pink that can form up to a 5-6 foot plant. My growing season is from March with first blooms usually seen in april, through December. The roses I am considering are Princess Alexandria of Kent, Young Lycidas, Harlow Carr and Ingenious Mr. Fairchild. Please chime in if you have experience with any of these; especially if you garden in a hot dry climate, or if you have any other Austin rose suggestions. Both roses will be along walkways so a lovely fragrance is a must.

Comments (15)

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    10 years ago

Young Lycidas is not really a pink rose; it tends much more toward the purple side. It is fragrant. I can't say much about its eventual size since mine is very young.

The Ingenious Mr. Fairchild is fragrant and seems to do fine in my hot garden but again it's young and I'm not sure how large it will become. This rose has more of a drooping habit, which is something to consider along a walkway.

Harlow Carr did not do well for me in the heat, but I might have been too hasty in discarding it, and it may be one of those roses that does better in that respect once it matures. I think it's beautiful but can't remember anything about its fragrance.

One rose you didn't mention is Bishop's Castle, a beautiful and very fragrant rose, which I keep more upright by pruning it hard and cutting off long stems when I pick or deadhead its roses. With that treatment it's stayed small, and more wide than tall.

The small Bourbons like Souvenir de la Malmaison may do well for you. Mine bloomed more than any other rose through the summer and into winter, barely pausing at all throughout the year. Beautiful and fragrant pink flowers.

Ingrid

• Alana8aSC
    10 years ago

I Love Lilian Austin!

• Kippy
    10 years ago

I will upload photos later tonight, but...
    I have Young Lycidas here on the desk by me and right now it is hot pink. Hot Pink

On the other hand Princess Alexandria of Kent is a warm pink/salmonish color (that I love)

• gardenheat
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Interesting. I am partial to pink/salmon colored roses too. How large is the Princess Alexandria of Kent in your garden? I've found that many of the Austin's grow a lot larger in some climates. I also suspected that Young Lycidas could be hot pink here in this climate instead of purple . Thank you.

This post was edited by gardenheat on Mon, Jun 10, 13 at 23:50

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

I agree with Kippy that Princess Alexandra of Kent is an unusual pink, fairly dark, with a salmonish center. My PA is only a year old, but she's growing into a nice roundish shrub, very attractive. She is a bloom machine, and those blooms are quite large. Young Lycidas has purplish blooms and is also quite floriferous. I love Brother Cadfael, but he grows extremely large here, and I think, in your climate, you'd get the same results as I have. We have hot, dry sunny summers, though not as hot as Las Vegas. If you are willing to go with a creamy, soft apricot, Tamora would be a great size for along a walk. She's compact with a lovely growth habit. All these Austins have nice scents. Diane

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    10 years ago

I have been impressed with England's Rose - it is new for me this year, not large, and covers itself in pretty pink blooms. I have tried to pinch the blooms off to give the plant a chance to make roots but have to pinch constantly as this super little rose wants to bloom so much. Bishop's Castle is doing well also.

• ms. violet grey
    10 years ago

Young Lycidas is a beautiful raspberry pink.
    I wouldn't call it purple. I think you would love it!

• joshtx
    10 years ago

I would personally look into Sharifa Asma for your needs. The upright growth would be ideal for planting next to an area of high traffic, so the thorns of the bush don't snag anyone. It is also a particularly tough Austin, and loves the sun and heat more than any of my other Austins. Not to mention the fragrance is wonderful. Scepter d'Isle may also be a candidate for an adjacent spot, though I do not personally grow her.

• SoFL Rose z10
    10 years ago

Queen of Sweden has been disease free in my South Florida garden and very resistant to the heat. She is fragrant and tends to get tall rather than wide and she has pretty soft pink blooms.
    I have had excellent results with Huntington Rose. She is not fragrant but boy oh boy is she a profuse bloomer (most profuse bloomer in my entire 75 rose garden). She's been amazing! She did get a little black spot but she's so vigorous she just shook it off quickly. I tell you, not fragrant and not a great cut rose but she blooms her head off and loves the heat! She's a solid medium pink and her yellow stamens look nice when she's fully opened. She blooms in clusters of 3 or more and she has a very nice bushy shape unlike my other Austins that tend to grow tall and thin.
    Another one that has done well for me is The Anlwick rose. She has been a much slower grower than Huntington but she has had no disease and has pretty pink blooms. She gets afternoon shade here and is happy as can be!
    I have Abraham Darby and she seems to like the heat and not get BS but she hasn't bloomed much for me.
    Here is a pic of Huntington. An underrated Austin imho.
    Austin has a list of roses in their catalog that do well in hot dry climates (on page 103). They also mention some on their website but the catalog offers many more choices. If you don't have one I can tell you which ones are listed.

• SoFL Rose z10
    10 years ago

Just for fun a pic of Queen Of Sweden.

Alana: Lilian Austin looks SUPER. I might have to get one! (I adore pink roses)

• SoFL Rose z10
    10 years ago

Oh, also Queen of Sweden is nearly thornless so thats another plus for her.

• gardenheat
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow. The images supplied are just beautiful!
    Thank you so much for the information. You all have been so helpful. Now... decisions... decisions... decisions....

• johnnidappl
    10 years ago

There are so many gorgeous pink Austins.

I'd stay away from Tamora because it's not a pink but more of an apricot and for a walkway, it is extremely thorny.

Strawberry Hill is a good newer release medium pink, large flowers, little or no disease. Jubilee Celebration is another lovely consistent bloomer. Mary Rose is still amongst David Austin's best performing pinks.

• dkent
    10 years ago

I have Heritage here in Dallas, which is more humid. I have not had any black spot issues with it. It has few thorns and smells wonderful.

• Krista_5NY
    10 years ago

Geoff Hamilton has a beautiful fragrance with a hint of fresh strawberry, to my nose. It's 5-6 feet tall here. The blooms have an elegant look to them.

Bishop's Castle is a lovely medium pink with exceptional fragrance.

Gertrude Jekyll is too thorny for near a walkway; I love mine in a mixed planting with other roses. It drops its leaves from blackspot, but it's hardy and gives some repeat bloom.

I think Harlow Carr would be too thorny to be near a walkway.