Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
General questions on Roses

Posted by nickjoseph 5 Miwaukee, WI (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 21, 14 at 16:45

We've had a cooler Summer after a horrid Winter. I am thankful my bushes came back at all. I didn't lose any. One is very small & slow growing, but has a couple buds. It is 65 degrees and raining....again. I know we need the rain, but isn't it true that roses pretty much hate very hot weather (high 80s and above), don't like colder (50s and lower), but like 60s & 70s & low to mid 80s? We seem to have a ton of buds, but they seem to be taking forever...did I say forever to open. Some of the bushes seem not as plump. How can I say this.....a little bit taller & thinner or spindlier due to some dieback, but yet they all have a ton of buds just waiting to open. I don't know if they are so slow because our temps seem to be creeping down into the 50s at night and overnight.... Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: General questions on Roses

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 21, 14 at 20:14

Cooler weather is going to slow them way down, yes. In cool weather here a bud will wait two or three weeks to open, and will just wait for warmth.

As to the spindly issue, which is a different thing, how is the foliage on the plants? Is it plentiful? Or, sparse with "bare ankles and knees"? Have you given them any fertilizer this year?

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 22, 14 at 12:26

And roses need sunshine! If it's been on the gray side that will definitely slow them down. But you'll be shocked at how they'll seemed to jump open if you get a couple of days of warm sunshine!

o

Yes, fertilized twice this season thus far, and they don't have bare spots, just seem taller this year & thinner--not so plump. Yet tons of buds. Thinking because there was die back due to our lovely winter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here