Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
White moths that bite??

Posted by particentral 8 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 20, 14 at 16:50

I am going to try to get a photo, but I began the challenge of pruning back the knockouts today and got ATTACKED by a small, white moth looking insect with tiny spots..HUNDREDS of them. Smaller than a half inch and wings folded on their backs......they sting or bite. I am wondering if this is why I am losing my knockouts.....any ideas? I never spray with insecticides. I have lizards, ladybugs and birds, so I usually dont need to, but these guys chased me out of my parking lot. I cannot even dump the freaking wheelbarrow.....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: White moths that bite??

Easier than I thought to get a photo. I had ten of the doggone things on me after I got done posting.....if they didnt bite I wouldnt be worried but there are HUNDREDS Of them and yes, they are leaving welts.

photo 100_1467_zps4c41dd2a.jpg

photo 100_1468_zpsdebb6cf9.jpg

photo 100_1472_zps3dee5013.jpg

o

• Posted by fori CA (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 20, 14 at 17:36

Looks like some flavor of homopteran leafhopper, like a big whitefly. I'm not familiar with critters in your area, but in general, it's a sucking type of insect and not nice to plants.

o

Yes, check froghopper and leafhopper, although I never heard of them biting. Could be a mutation caused by atomic testing and we are all doomed.

o

• Posted by jim1961 6a Central Pa. (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 21, 14 at 11:44

After some research Leafhoppers are capable of biting humans.

o

Thanks, Jim.

Flower thrips can bite humans too.

o

MichaelG. LOL. Atomic mutation? Yes, we are all doomed.
Totally changing the subject but when you all are out pruning and get into the roses with the little tiny prickles that stage and grab….do they make you itch?
Susan

o

Lol...wow...ok. my uncle who was an agronomist with the GA Ag Dept said leafhopper of some sort and to use spinosid. Yes they could be why my roses are dying. What we dont understand is why its just an issue in this hedge and not my other roses. At this point I dont care. Lol

I itch after rose scratches. ..and I have 15-20 little red bites...and they itch. .oh the joys of gardening!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here