Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
particentral

White moths that bite??

particentral
9 years ago

I am going to try to get a photo, but I began the challenge of pruning back the knockouts today and got ATTACKED by a small, white moth looking insect with tiny spots..HUNDREDS of them. Smaller than a half inch and wings folded on their backs......they sting or bite. I am wondering if this is why I am losing my knockouts.....any ideas? I never spray with insecticides. I have lizards, ladybugs and birds, so I usually dont need to, but these guys chased me out of my parking lot. I cannot even dump the freaking wheelbarrow.....

Comments (7)

• particentral
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Easier than I thought to get a photo. I had ten of the doggone things on me after I got done posting.....if they didnt bite I wouldnt be worried but there are HUNDREDS Of them and yes, they are leaving welts.

{{gwi:294121}}

{{gwi:294123}}

{{gwi:294127}}

• Fori
    9 years ago

Looks like some flavor of homopteran leafhopper, like a big whitefly. I'm not familiar with critters in your area, but in general, it's a sucking type of insect and not nice to plants.

• michaelg
    9 years ago

Yes, check froghopper and leafhopper, although I never heard of them biting. Could be a mutation caused by atomic testing and we are all doomed.

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    9 years ago

After some research Leafhoppers are capable of biting humans.

• michaelg
    9 years ago

Thanks, Jim.

Flower thrips can bite humans too.

• Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    9 years ago

MichaelG. LOL. Atomic mutation? Yes, we are all doomed.
    Totally changing the subject but when you all are out pruning and get into the roses with the little tiny prickles that stage and grabâ¦.do they make you itch?
    Susan

• particentral
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lol...wow...ok. my uncle who was an agronomist with the GA Ag Dept said leafhopper of some sort and to use spinosid. Yes they could be why my roses are dying. What we dont understand is why its just an issue in this hedge and not my other roses. At this point I dont care. Lol

I itch after rose scratches. ..and I have 15-20 little red bites...and they itch. .oh the joys of gardening!