Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kes4753

Molineux- 2-3 ft. Really???

Kes Z 7a E Tn
9 years ago

I've never grown DA roses before, figuring that the British Isles and the American South have absolutely nothing in common climate-wise or soil-wise. But they roped me in by sending me a BOGO coupon after I did a body count on roses I lost during the polar vortex. I'm a sucker for those coupons. I ordered two own-root and bare root roses from them and got them in due time. Both looked good and very healthy. I planted Munstead Wood in front in the place of a rose that was a memorial for my father-in-law. It is doing very well and its size and shape seem to be on track with its description. I haven't allowed it to bloom yet.

I wasn't sure where to plant Molineux so I put it into a pot. It just took off. It sat at the edge of our carport until frost was no longer a danger and then I moved it to a protected spot by our shed. The crazy thing is at least 3 ft tall and I can tell that it wants to grow taller. The canes are long and lanky and it doesn't look like a compact, relatively low-growing rose. I allowed it to bloom and the roses are a nice medium yellow and fragrant.

So, two questions: 1) Is the given size of Molineux too low for people in the southeast? What can I expect? 2) Is it possible that this isn't Molineux, but another yellow rose? How would I know?

Comments (5)

• john_ca
    9 years ago

The ultimate size of this rose as well as many other roses whether Austin or not, depends on a number of factors, among them::
    1. Length of the growing season
    2. Soil characteristics: depth, texture, and fertiliity
    3. How it is watered-frequency and duration
    4. Sun exposure
    5. Prevailing day and night temperatures
    6. Pruning practices

When I lived in Houston, TX, it was a struggle to get this rose to grow to a height of 3 feet. Problems here were:
    1. Thick gumbo soil that did not drain well
    2. High night temperatures that did not get below 82 degrees F for FOUR months (June-Oct). This shuts down the ability of the plant to translocate sugars from leaves to the growing points of the plant in the roots and stems. When this happens, the plant doesn't grow properly. Plant growth and blooms slow down until the night temperatures drop into the 70's.
    3. Fire ants were ubitquitous there and I expect that they were consuming root hairs and other root tissue.

I am now growing Molineux in Central CA. Here I have deep, rich alluvial soil with excellent drainage; lower night temperatures; a very long, warm growing season (growth begins in Feb and blooms can continue til middle December); and sunny exposure; drip irrigated every 3 days If I prune this rose hard, I can keep it at around 4 feet; if I prune it lightly, it can grow to 6-8 feet.

The effect of high night temperatures on translocation rates, is very pronounced in this part of Texas. I visited the large rose garden in Hermann Park in downtown Houston, I was astounded at the size of the roses there. The hybrid teas were so stunted in terms of the dimensions of the canes and flower size, that I thought that I was looking at miniature roses. Hopefully, you live in an area in the southeast where your night temperatures are lower during the summer months.

• ken-n.ga.mts
    9 years ago

I'm over on the other side of the mountains, so our temps are pretty close. I have an own root Molineux going on it's 3rd year. A good solid 4-5 feet tall. If I get a cane that shoots up past 5 ft., I'll prune it back to 3 feet after it blooms. As far as it being something else??? Anything is possible.

• michaelg
    9 years ago

Around 4' for me, and relatively narrow for a shrub rose.

• mark_roeder 4B NE Iowa
    9 years ago

In NE Iowa -- about 3-feet tops - full sun but gets plenty of wind which holds back growth. It is very hardy.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

My Molineux grow about 3-3.5 ft tall. One thing a bit different about Molineux (as opposed to Munstead Wood, for instance) is that Molineux is a more vertical plant; Munstead Wood is "rounder"--the sides fill out.

I've heard of Molineux growing about 4 ft (except in California --none of the rules apply there), but mine have never grown quite that tall. On the other hand, I don't believe anyone has ever called it a "compact" plant either.

It is a sun-lover. If you have it growing in part shade or closely crowded by other plants, it may try to grow taller as it reaches for the sun.

If you want to keep it somewhat shorter, I'd prune it after its spring bloom cycle is over.

One of my favorite Austins. Hope you enjoy yours.

Kate

Sponsored
Prime Custom Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars43 Reviews
DC Metro's Award Winning Custom Design, Build, and Remodeling Company