Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nickjoseph

Out of control Heritage and Fair Bianca

When I was a complete rose novice, I had a friend recommend some healthy David Austin bushes--Heritage and Fair Bianca. If I knew then what I knew now--I would never have planted them anywhere near other rose bushes. These babies are happiest when they can spread out every which way. The two have really been the healthiest bushes I've ever planted. Thing is, the branches start to flop over into my other bushes. I don't want to cut the branches because they are loaded with buds. What I ended up doing is buying some bamboo sticks and biodegradeable green twine type material. I put in 2-3 bamboo sticks in front of each bush and gently tied some of the hanging branches to the bamboo to hold up better. Does that sound okay? Thanks!

Comments (13)

• boncrow66
    9 years ago

It sounds good to me but I'm kinda new at this rose thing. I would love to see a pic of your Heritage, I planted one a few weeks ago and would like to see a established one. I planted her knowing she would spread too so at least that won't be a suprise for me.

• nickjoseph Milwaukee, WI
    Original Author
    9 years ago

If I get family or friend over when the gazillion blooms open, I will have them take a pic & send to my email so I can post! Alas, I don't have anything but a "dumb" phone, so I can't take pics!

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

Sounds like you have the problem well in hand. However, you might think about moving 1 or 2 of the roses Heritage is trying to smother. If she wants more space, give it to her!

I too look forward to seeing some pics.

Kate

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    9 years ago

I agree with Kate...
    I wouldn't mind seeing pics myself...

• buford
    9 years ago

I can see Heritage getting out of control, but Fair Bianca is usually well behaved. Could be that they are young and the canes aren't strong enough to support the blooms. They should both mature and eventually you won't have floppy canes.

Original Author
    9 years ago

bufore,
    Nope--these bushes are about 10 years old--if not that, close to it. You are right--the Fair Bianca is much more well behaved than Miss Heritage is ! Still getting a little wiry though, more than past years.

• buford
    9 years ago

I'm actually going to move my Heritage this winter. It wants to grow like climber and I have it in a spot where that won't work.

Sometimes in the spring, especially if there is a lot of rain, the canes grow fast but don't harden up before they get buds and then they are weighed down by the blooms. Did you cut them back this spring?

• the_morden_man
    9 years ago

Do you spray? I only ask as I never imagined anyone with any BS pressure at all would ever refer to Heritage and especially Fair Bianca as disease resistant roses. Beautiful yes, but not disease resistant by any stretch here. They were total BS disasters and Fair Bianca also was prone to mildew in the fall.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

Use a tomato cage for support. They work well for floppy Austins.

I'm trying to imagine an out-of-control Fair Bianca.

• michaelg
    9 years ago

I wonder if FB was mislabeled. FB is the least vigorous Austin rose I have grown. 'Heritage' grown as a shrub needs 6' width, and then with normal shrub pruning it is very well behaved.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Buford, yes, I cut all my roses back in the Spring. I've dealt over the 21 years we've had all our bushes with blackspot--mainly in the Fall, around October/November. Heritage & Fair Bianca have not been afflicted with any disease. Truly, they are the healthiest bushes I have ever had. Beautiful, not my favorite, but the healthiest. I did spray for BS last season in Fall on the bushes affected. My Heritage & Fair Bianca were not afflicted. The Fair Bianca I normally don't have issues with it getting floppy and needing to be held up at all. It's not as bad as Heritage. I think they are just taking off with all the rain we have been getting. Tons and tons of buds waiting to burst open though. I have a Pat Austin in another area in our yard. That one really gets floppy with the blooms. Again, pretty, no diseases on this bush either, but the thinner branches don't hold up the blooms well.

• jerijen
    9 years ago

'Fair Bianca' never got above 12 inches tall in my part of Southern California. I can't easily imagine it being "out of control."

Original Author
    9 years ago

I didn't say they were "out of control". They are just getting floppier. I had some die-back in the back due to our horrible Winter in Milw., WI. Maybe that is why they are leaning more forward this season. Put a bamboo stick in the back of the Fair Bianca & tied with the biodegradeable twine.