Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seil_gw

The final winter tally

seil zone 6b MI
9 years ago

I think about everything that's going to die has done so now. I thought I'd post some lists of what did and didn't survive. The "g" stands for in the ground and the "p" means potted.

Survivors

Angel Face, g
Appleblossom FC. g
Aunt Gloria, p, found
Baby Blanket, p
Blanche Neige, g
Blaze, g
Brilliant Pink Iceberg, g
Bull's Eye, p
Camelot NOT, g
Country Music, g
Dainty Bess, d
Dick Clark, p
Double Delight, p
Dr Huey, g
Dream Come True, g
Electron, g
Elle, p
English Sonnet, g
Eyeconic Pink Lemonade, p
Falling in Love, p
Fragrant Cloud, g
Golden Celebration, g
Golden Wings, g
Graham Thomas, g
Granada, g
Home Run, g
Honorine de Brabant, g
Hot Cocoa, g
Hot Romance, g
Iced Raspberry, g
Isolde Hit, g
Ivory Tower, p
Julia Child, g
Koko Loco, p
Love, g
Mardi Gras, g
Marge's rose, g, found
Marijke Koopman, g
Memorial Day, g
MIP 0206, g, seedling
MJ 0107, g. seedling
Oklahoma, g
Paradise, g
Pinocchio, g
Pinocchio, p
Queen Elizabeth, g
Quietness, g
Reine des Violettes, g
Rose de Rescht, g
Ruffled Cloud, g
Rural Rhythm, g
Sedona, g
Sisters at Heart, g
Snow Ruby, g
Softee, g
Son of a Peach, g, seedling
Summer Fashion, g
Sunny Delight, g
Trump Card, p
Vavoom, g
Verdun , g
Voluptuous!, g
Wild Plum, g
Winter Sunset, g
X-Rated, p
Yantai, g
Zenaitta, g

Dead

Always a Lady, p
Archduke Charles, p
Baby Betsy McCall, p
Best Friends, g
Black Cherry, p
Buttercream, p
Caliente, p
Candy Land, g
Chelsea Brittlyn, p
Cherish, g
Cinderella, p
Constellation, p
Crimson Bouquet, p
Dee-Lish/Line Renaud, p
Double Delight, g
Double Take, p
Duchesse de Brabant, p
Fire 'n' Ice, p
First and Formost, p
Focal Point, p
Folklore, p
Fortune Cookie, g
Frankly Scarlet, p
Garden Party, p
Heather Sproul, p
Hondo, p
Intrigue, p
Iobelle, p
Irresistible, p
Jilly Jewel, p
Julie Link, p
Knockout, g
Little Sir Echo, p
Love Song, p
Madeliene, p
Magic Show, p
Memphis Blues, g
Millie Walters, p
Miss Flippins, p
Montana, g
Mrs. Robinson, g
Mutabilis, p
New Day, p
New Zealand, p
Patron, p
Peace, p
Pope John Paul II, p
Powerhouse, p
Rainbows End, p
Red Intuition, p
Renata, p
Robin Alonso, p
Show Stopper, p
Stars n Stripes, p
Strawberry Romance, p
Tattooed Lady, p
Teddy Bear, p
Tuscan Sun, g
Unconditional Love, p
Veteran's Honor, p
Violet Mist, p
Whirl Away, p
Winsome, p

I also lost 46 out of 53 seedling from previous years.

Comments (17)

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    9 years ago

Sorry to hear winter was so harsh on some of your roses Seil...
    That's quite a list...
    I seen in your other thread where you will be planting new roses... May they all do well!

• nummykitchen
    9 years ago

Oh Seil, that list just breaks my heart! I had been wondering about you and my fellow Michigan rose lovers and how your gardens held up! I will have to compile a list, yours was very informative.

I lost only a few of my approx 100, I couldn't believe it. I lost many more last year with the mild winter! Even my Vintage Gardens and Heirloom bands are looking alive after being in the ground all winter.

Here's to growing roses in Michigan :)

Andrea

• andreark
    9 years ago

Seil,

I weep for your losses. I have only two of the ones you lost, (Peace and PJP) but I would be heartbroken if I lost just those. I can't imagine your feelings for so many lost.

I send you great wishes for the next years to come.

andreark

• sara_ann-z6bok
    9 years ago

Seil - I remember seeing your gorgeous pictures of many of these, not only on this forum, but also on HMF. Your pictures are a great source for what a particular variety should look like, I love them. I have seen the list of some of your new ones and while I am sad that you have lost so many, I do look forward to seeing pictures of what I know will be more beauties.

• Jasminerose, California, USDA 9b/Sunset 18
    9 years ago

Wow, what a loss. I too have enjoyed your photographs. I'm happy to see that your mom's rose, Pinocchio made it.

• meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation
    9 years ago

If that's the Kordes Cinderella (Fairytale), I can send you cuttings since your own just died. That's the only one I have that you lost, but I might have other things you are interested in, too :)

I was really bummed to see your post, for you of course, and also because I think it's time I declared my own-root roses dead instead of just taking their time resprouting :( My entire last Vintage order was wiped out, then, even though they looked very happy all summer and going into the fall. It was their first winter outside of California, and it was not a good one, eh? My protection was clearly just not enough.

Those were: Climbing Radiance, Lybelle, Cl J Otto Thilow, and Cl Dame Edith Helen (if anyone could spare some cuttings). Fortunately, I still have very many roses and some of my hard-hit ones are doing really great now, but I'm so bummed about losing my entire Vintage order :(

I guess I can pretend I just donated the money to them, lol! That makes me feel super-nice and charitable instead of so bummed out with rose loss ;) ;)

Anyone else bummed by what they've lost, please know that I'll be happy to mail cuttings if I grow them (cafeaulait on HMF). I know some of us can't afford to replace or buy new after such a bad winter, so please consider trying your hands at cuttings, all y'all. My roses can be a little short this year; certainly their pals are after the darned Polar Vortex!

• buford
    9 years ago

So sorry Seil. I thought my losses would be worse, most of my teas had to be cut down to the roots, and some of them were 8' x 8', but they are all growing back, except one. Here is my list of lost roses:

Fragrant Cloud (already replaced)

Tropical Sunset

Sultry

Mlle Franziska Kruger (one of my favorites)

Peace

Lasting Embrace (a non-registered rose that I got in HD, but it was a nice white rose)

Blush Noisette (I had it in a pot forever, never planted it )

I still have some that I am concerned about. Even with deadheading my first flush, I am still finding canes that have ugly brown pith, so I'm pretty much doing another hard prune on a lot of my remaining roses.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

Seil, I'm so sorry to hear about your losses. There were so many--but then look at how many survived. That is a goodly number, to say the least! And now you will have the fun of buying new roses!

I know--that doesn't make one really feel better about the losses, does it.

I only lost one--Chrysler Imperial--but I have lost a couple over the last couple years due to hot, ovenlike droughts! In my region, summer excesses are sometimes more dangerous to roses than winter weather is. All comes back to location, I guess.

Kate

• seil zone 6b MI
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for your support! It's been an interesting spring after a very dismal winter, that's for sure.

Oh, Meredith, thank you for the kind offer but mine was the micro-mini Cinderella. I lost both my micros. And I'm sorry to hear about that Vintage order too. That's a tougher loss than any of mine since they'll be nearly impossible to replace with Vintage's closing.

I am enjoying being able to buy new roses again though! That's something I haven't been able to do in several years really. So I'm trying out pretty much all new and different ones for me. If I find that I really miss one I'll probably replace it but variety IS the spice of life so I'm going to get spicy, lol!

• pat_bamaz7
    9 years ago

Oh Seil, that list is heartbreaking. IâÂÂm sure losing all those seedlings youâÂÂve babied along is a big blow. I see names of so many of your minis that IâÂÂve been admiring through your pictures on the deceased list...so sad. I did see your shopping post, and looks like you have picked out some great new roses to enjoy. I laughed when I read on the other post that you were considering Neptune for its âÂÂNâÂÂ. I came very close to buying Quietness to have a âÂÂQâ even though I knew it would grow way too big for the spot I had available. I only lost ten roses over the winter, 8 OGRs and 2 Austins. They were all new to me last year and nothing uncommon or hard to replace. Even so, it was disappointing. I canâÂÂt imagine having losses to the degree some of you have suffered. Seil, your positive attitude over the situation is such an inspiration to everyone! Looking forward to progress reports and pictures of your (and everyone's) recovery gardens!

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    9 years ago

I am sorry to hear of this loss. That's a long list. How cold did it get? How was your snow cover?

I didn't lose any roses although many died back to the ground. Some, like Firefighter, are barely surviving. We hit -10 but had deep snow most of the winter.

Some of the canes on Westerland, which seemed to be green to the tips, are now dieing after sprouting new foliage and buds. I should have guessed that the prolific appearance of new canes from the base was a prelude of things to come (or go).

• canadian_rose
    9 years ago

Wow!
    I remember living in Edmonton - it was a blood bath for my HTs every spring.

Too bad for your rose babies.. And especially for all of your seedlings!

I thought by Brother Cadfael had died, so I planted carrot seeds in the pot. Now Bro.C comes up - guess he's gonna share his space with the carrots. :)
    Carol

• seil zone 6b MI
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Pat. If you're looking for a narrower "Q" try Queen Elizabeth. Mine stays quite small and somehow miraculously survived the winter!

Harry, we had several nights down to -26 and went for 2 weeks never getting into double digits at all. I did have a continuous snow cover. More than we've had in years. We broke our all time total snow fall from 1880 with 94.6 inches. I'm sure that played a part in why the ones in the ground survived better than the potted ones.

Lol, Carol, I hope the good Brother likes carrots!

I'm sad about the seedlings dying but I have a new crop from this year already blooming so I still have babies to tend!

• Kippy
    9 years ago

I am so sorry to see that list! So many to loose

I love your striped baby though

• welltraveled
    9 years ago

Are you absolutly sure they are DEAD? I had 45 roses that I thought were toast here in zone 5 in Michigan..Cut them all down to the ground and all but one is regrowing.
    I think they will rebloom ,but be short this year

• seil zone 6b MI
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Kippy!

Welltraveled, they were dead as door nails. I have already removed all the potted ones and none of them had any white feeder roots left on them. Some of them pulled right out like there were no roots left at all.

The ones in the ground are still there because I'm not going to play Russian Roulette with them until after my show. I had to cut most everything to the ground (the exception was Reine des Violettes) and all of the others are growing very well and even setting buds now. So I'm sure those are dead too. After my show I'll dig them up and move some around and replant.

• view1ny NY 6-7
    9 years ago

Oh wow, Seil. I just read this. I'm so sorry to hear about all your roses that didn't make it. Here's to your 2014 garden & hope it's a big success.

I second Kippy's opinion of your striped seedling. Stunning colors. Best of luck!