Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenhaven_gw

Best HTs for no-spray cutting garden

greenhaven
15 years ago

Surely someone grows some tough hybrid teas...I would love to have an bed exclusively for cutting.

So far I have stayed away from anymore hybrid teas, although I do have a few.I heard too much about their being fussy.

So, what say YOU?

Comments (19)

• zeffyrose
    15 years ago

MacCartney Rose---lovely and fragrant ---makes a great cut flower. Someone once said it spreads like an octopus----that does happen.
    Lafter---classified as a HT but looks more like an old rose---it gets very tall.

I'm having computer problems so I can't post pictures.

Florence

• duchesse_nalabama
    15 years ago

Chrysler imperial has been doing well no spray. Love those fragrant dark red blooms. Gean

• aurora1701e
    15 years ago

Black Magic is very disease resistant in my garden plus it's a GREAT rose for cutting.

Jeff

{{gwi:242890}}
    {{gwi:294429}}

• greenhaven
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions so far! Lafter is very, very pretty, as is McCartney. I like that these are all listed as fragrant, too. Funny that two of four so far are the deep red of my Oklahoma. This is my first year with it, so i cannot speak for disease resistence or winter hardiness. but it IS very similiar to those photos of Black magic. I LOVE that deep red!

I do plan to bury the HT's I already have deeper before winter. I hesitated to bury plants that had a lot of foliage on them already.

I do hear a lot about Chrysler Imperial...

• Jean Marion (z6a Idaho)
    15 years ago

My no spray HTs:

Black Baccara
    Nancy Reagan
    neptune
    Fragrant Cloud
    Ingrid Bergman
    gina lollobrigida
    Pope John Paul II
    flaming peace
    Chicago Peace
    Lasting Love

• greenhaven
    Original Author
    15 years ago

decobug, awesome! I already have PJP and Lasting Love...although LL looks like it will succumb to canker. :(

• canadian_rose
    15 years ago

Elizabeth Taylor is great - tons of long stemmed roses. No scent though. It's one of my favorite roses!! I can overwinter it here in zone 3 (protected), so you should have no problem!

Carol

• Jean Marion (z6a Idaho)
    15 years ago

GH, get a new Lasting Love... You won't regret it, the bloom color is so lovely and the smell very nice...

Another thing to consider is grandifloras...

Tournament of Roses and Fame! are terrific for cutting...

• chuck_billie
    15 years ago

I can't recomend The McCartney Rose. It's beautiful but stingy and a BS magnet for me.
    Always the first to show disease.
    I like Just Joey, Fragrant Cloud,Marco Polo and Neptune for fragrant HT's that are disease resistant in my garden.

• catsrose
    15 years ago

I try to stay away from HTs so don't have much experience. But I put in a Queen Elizabeth in memory of my grandfather. She has been splendid! I am no-spray. Under the worst circumstances she may get a little bs, but nothing compared to other HTs. She productive as can be--lovely long-stems and large blooms (she's a grandiflora).

• greenhaven
    Original Author
    15 years ago

So is a grandiflora a large-bloomed HT? Or large-bloomed floribunda? I have been thinking they were flor. rather than HT. That will make a big difference in how I select future rose plants.

There are more good suggestions here than I thought would come my way! canadianrose, good to know you are growing ET in 3a. I am a suckwer for fragrance, but not married to it. I'll be checking that out, along with alot of the other suggestions. I have always like 'Neptune' but veered away because of it being an HT.

• User
    15 years ago

For me, 'Tiffany' is disease free without spraying. Superb fragrance to boot.

• littlesmokie
    15 years ago

I am no spray here and can tolerate a moderate of disease (maybe 1/4-1/3 defoliation from blackspot) as long as can mask with companion plants and the upper leaves stay nice looking when cut for the vase. (Powdery mildew is more of a problem for me because it can disfigure the buds and upper leaves=ruined for the vase.)

BEST:
    *Tiffany (sweet strongly fragrant/pink)
    Sunset Celebration (moderate fruity fragrant/peachy-pink)
    Oklahoma (surprisingly!) (damask strongly fragrant/deep red)
    Bronze Star (strong fruity/apricot)
    Winter Sunset (shrub bred by Buck/moderate fruity/apricot)

I have a much longer list of HT's that DON'T work for a no spray cutting garden! (Email me if you live in my climate and I can help save you money and steer you away from some bad ones.)

Dawn

• zack_lau z6 CT ARS Consulting Rosarian
    15 years ago

Grande Amore is grown for no-spray in Germany by Kordes, so it might work in your garden. It grows very fast in our garden--lots of flowers too.

• amberroses
    15 years ago

Where do you guys live? I live in humid central Florida and almost nothing is blackspot free. I even have a knockout rose that gets blackspot sometimes. The only rose I never spray here is Louis Phillipe, but that is an OGR. There are some roses I spray less often, but nearly all must be sprayed with chemical fungicides. Organic oils fry the leaves in our sunny heat. So sad:(

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    15 years ago

Like Catsrose said, I am going to try to avoid most hybrid teas. I am trying to test the Buck roses to find good ones to grow no- spray, but do not know which ones would be considered cutting at this point. Our weather has been so rainy that I am not sure what is acceptable.

Sammy

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    15 years ago

Look at some of the newer Kordes HT's, which may be a little more disease resistance and a little more cold hardy than others.

• greenhaven
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, all! I am surprised this thread got resurrected after a month. I am now full to the brim with roses that needs real estate...but your suggestions all got added to my wish list!

Thanks!

• ebster
    15 years ago

I like Broadway, Mister Lincoln, Tiffany, Love and Peace and Double Delight. I don't spray and some of them can get BS badly later in the season. They flower throughout the season and come back year after year (most of them die to the ground in the winter so make sure you plant them deep).

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert