Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ndgeller

Where to buy Brass Band Roses

ndgeller
10 years ago

Does anyone know where I can buy Brass Band Roses? Please don't tell me Rogue Valley, because I did order from them, had a HORRIBLE experience.

Comments (19)

• andreark
    10 years ago

I just spoke with someone at ROGUE VALLEY ROSES in
    Oregon. - 541-535-1307. They said that they don't know if they have it in stock now, but they will be propagating it in the fall. And that you should call them for more information.

andrea

• growing_rene2
    10 years ago

hahaha....sorry, had to laugh! :-)

• andreark
    10 years ago

ndgeller,

I obviously didn't read your post thoroughly. Sorry if I offended you.

ak

• floridarosez9 Morgan
    10 years ago

Ak, I thought you were being funny. I also would love to find this rose after seeing beautiful pics of it here and on antiques.

• jerijen
    10 years ago

This is the sort of problem we are going to see over and over now, in this day of radically-reduced rose sources.

Rogue Valley Roses IS the only source currently listed. If someone has a current copy of The Complete Rose List, they might could verify that.

Failing that, I would suggest that if you can find a plant in someone's garden, you could try growing your own. Yes, I do realize that 'Brass Band' is still (tho barely) in patent. And normally, I would not recommend doing this. But if there are no sources, you may be able to help prevent the loss of the cultivar.

I think "growing our own" is going to be something we must all learn to do in our notso Brave New World.

Jeri

• floridarosez9 Morgan
    10 years ago

Jeri, do you have any idea if this rose does well own root if I were able to beg some cuttings?

• jerijen
    10 years ago

I haven't the faintest idea, but if I REALLY REALLY wanted it, and could not get it, I would certainly try it.

I think that the roses that are most likely to be completely lost in the coming years are those that won't grow on their own roots.

Jeri

• roseseek
    10 years ago

It will root, but not terribly easily. Kim

• jerijen
    10 years ago

Thanks Kim. I suspect that hard-to-root roses will be most likely to disappear.

Jeri

• roseseek
    10 years ago

Well, honestly, shouldn't those which refuse to root and/or refuse to grow well own root be the ones to disappear? Kim

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

What a shame, such an excellent rose. Mine gets better and better every year.

• roseseek
    10 years ago

Was yours a budded J&P or own root plant, Hoov? My sister has an own root plant which predated the rose's introduction. It is so-so and has been for the twenty-plus years she's had it. It's a two cane wonder, also as it's been most of its life, refusing to produce new basals. It flowers acceptably with average disease resistance in an area where only mildew is an issue and only early and late in the season. BB seems to very much enjoy mildew. She obtained it because she couldn't live without the color, which, I agree, can be remarkable. I've always wondered how easily "funny colors" might be mined from it but its growth and health own root have prevented me from doing anything with it. Where it is, it will probably endure for years more to come, but I wouldn't call it "great". The fresh flower color is all there is to really recommend it, IMO. Kim

• floridarosez9 Morgan
    10 years ago

Hoov, your pictures were what made me lust after this rose. Please tell me yours are own-root.

• bethnorcal9
    10 years ago

So, what was so horrible about RVR? I've never had any problem with them or their roses.

• jerijen
    10 years ago

No. I have NEVER had a problem with RVR. In fact, the roses we've gotten from them have been excellent.

Jeri

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

Budded from J&P, and has never had a speck of mildew on it.

Guess we must all learn to graft!

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

You know what might be a good substitute is 'Brothers Grimm Fairy Tale'. Have a look at the pix on hmf. I saw it at the Huntington and it looked healthy and vigorous.

• shopshops
    9 years ago

I have two on order from Roses Unlimited. They will arrive in 2015. Google the name. You have to call to place your order. Late information. But good luck!

• Nancy Smith
    2 years ago

Same re Rogue Valley. will never order from them again.