Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rose Rosette disease question

Posted by Brooks23 Ky (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 23, 14 at 17:23

I am going to a daylily sale Saturday and I know the roses at the botinical garden have the rose rosette disease. What is the danger of me bring that terrible mite home that transfers the disease?
The roses and daylilys are not right next to each other but in seeing distance.
Maybe I should stay home. I dug up many plants last summer but keeping my fingers crossed now.
Thanks for any advice, Brooks23

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rose Rosette disease question

I don't think you have anything to worry about.

The question is, why hasn't the Botanical Garden removed the roses with RRD?

o

Thanks for the answer. The person in charge of the rose part is not well educated on the disease. I have tried to explain and help but they are still thinking that if they cut the roses back that will be the cure. I don't even walk near the rose garden because it is so sad. I know it has been in our area for 2 years,maybe longer.
Brooks23

o

I have those same thoughts about the mites hitching a ride on me to my house whenever I see a rosebush with RRD. I'm in KY, too.

o

I also wonder about getting near the diseased roses. I am pretty sure the mite is gone - it may even be gone before the symptoms appear. Yet in our city, the RRD destroyed our entire city rose garden. I do not understand what spreads it besides the mite.

Sammy

o

The mite population booms on shoots that have RRD symptoms.

o

michaelg, Thanks for that information. I may have to stay home although it is all over the city because so many businesses planting the knock out rose. :-(
Brooks23

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here