Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maele_gw

Black Garnet, Black Magic, Black Baccara, Black Cherry?and a blue

maele
14 years ago

Hi all!

Hubby wants a black rose and a "blue". Me, I'm not so crazy about either, so I got him Barbra Streisand and I saw Black Garnet in a nursery, it was divine. Large, thick velvety red petals, shaded with black but not burnt black.

It gets hot and dry here, and I only want one. I hear raves about Black Magic, and don't know if I should get it or one of the others instead of Black Garnet. Suggestions? Pictures?

Also, I might get him another blue, (any excuse for more roses!)... Shocking Blue, Sterling Silver, or Neptune?

TIA

Comments (9)

• newyorkrita
    14 years ago

Not in your climate zone so things might be different.

BLACK GARNET is a stunning, stunning rose. It has that full thick form thats so unusual in a TH. Color is a deep black red similiar to Black Magic. It just doesn't bloom that much in my garden but I would never get rid of it.

Black Magic would be the perfect HT if it had fragrance. Deep rich black red blooms that last quite well in my garden. My favorite HT. (because it blooms much more than Black Garnet).

Black Cherry. I just can't say enough good things about Black Cherry. I have four of them. Deep rich red roses with lovely form. Blooms a lot. One of my favorite top five roses, my second favorite floribunda. Great glossy green leaves that always look fabulous.

Black Baccara. Another rich deep black red rose. Maybe not to different looking from Black Magic although Black Magic does better for me (more longer lasting blooms).

I will add LAVAGLUT which is the deepest red black rose in my garden. My favorite rose and therefore favorite florobunda (I have about 200). The spring flush on this rose is traffic stopping and the blooms last forever. Seriously, they last about two weeks. Never get icked up by too much rain like normal roses. Alas, no scent.

• susan4952
    14 years ago

I LOVE my Black Cherry, also. And I am not a huge fan of reds.

• aurora1701e
    14 years ago

These pics of Black Magic say it all (other than lack of fragrance). It can get pretty toasty in the summer here but nothing seems to faze it. Also if you like cut flowers it will last in a vase for 10-14 days.

Jeff

{{gwi:242890}}
    {{gwi:242889}}

• rochesterroseman
    14 years ago

I have Black Magic and it is slow to get established and doesn't bloom that much for me, although this year it's starting to look pretty good. It would probably do wonderful in your climate. I rarely buy a rose that I know isn't fragrant, but these are soooo beautiful, that I broke my rule and bought it anyway. However, I just discovered a dark red that could be even better. It's Love's promise. I saw a potted plant at a garden center with one perfect bloom. VEry dark, with black shading. Alot like Black Magic, but with a fragrance to die for!! REally luscious, and different from other smelly reds. Now, I have no idea how this plant performs, and I have never seen a rose last as long a Black Magic, but if you like fragrance, this could be a great one.
    I just got Neptune, and I am told it's much more vigorous and healthy than Sterling Silver, so I would go with that. Shocking Blue is a floribunda, but I never grew it. It's looks lovely though,when I have seen it.

• karl_bapst_rosenut
    14 years ago

Although a miniature, Black Jade can get very dark.
    Here's a picture of mine. A nice black Jade bush can have lots of blooms and it repeats well. This picture was not photo shopped. Its as it was on the bush.
    {{gwi:231350}}

• dallasguy
    14 years ago

Wow, that Black Jade is really interesting. I have not grown miniatures, but I am tempted to try that one. I have to agree with rita and vote for Lavaglut(aka Lavaflow). The blooms on LG seem to last forever, even in the heat of summer, it repeats very quickly and the color is a very dark red with black along the edges. On top of all the other great things, it is completely disease resistant for me, not a speck of bs or pm. I highly recommend it.

• C Schaffner
    14 years ago

Black jade is my favorite mini. But in the heat here in zone 10 the blooms tend to get crispy. It took a while for it to get big but it was worth the wait. Black magic grows really well here. Mine is in it's second year and is covered in blooms.

• newyorkrita
    14 years ago

Heres a picture of LAVAGLUT, which just started blooming.

{{gwi:294767}}

• maele
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh wow! I revise my previous opinion. I mean if it's a rose, how could I not like it? Impossible.
    Thank you for your comments and pictures. Now I have to see if I can really limit myself to one.