Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andreark

Why so much new growth on 3 ft long bare cane.

andreark
10 years ago

I talked about this on another post, but at that time the cane (as large as my thumb) had only 4 new growths.
IT NOW HAS 6!! and they don't look like they are making buds. They are making BIG canes.

Does anyone have any idea why this previously bald cane would decide to make new canes?

andrea

Comments (17)

• roseseek
    10 years ago

The plant obvious absorbed enough raw nutrients from the soil so when the heat hit, it pushed new growth. I don't remember what the variety you're writing about is, but it's sounding suspiciously like Dr. Huey. What you describe is what the plants just DO. It used the available nutrients to produce the thick cane. Now, it's using the next flush to cause it to flesh out with new growth. Kim

• andreark
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kim,

This is my beautiful Pristine. I don't know what root it's grafted onto, but I would guess that you do. Pristine (with Brandy a close second) is my favorite rose. But like Brandy, (at least for me) she wants to be very tall with VERY thick canes and not a ton of foliage. These babies are interesting because they are similar in shapes and their foliage is very similar AND neither produces a million (hyperbole again) buds as Gemini does. You know at first, I didn't like Gemini because it's two toned. But I have gotten more fond of her because she is such a hale, hardy, and happy rose.

TY again

me

• roseseek
    10 years ago

OK, thanks, Andrea. If you bought it from Pickering, Hortico or Palatine, it's likely on multiflora. If it's a budded plant from pretty much any other source, it's most likely on Huey, unless you found it from someone who specialized in using Fortuniana. Kim

• deervssteve
    10 years ago

My wife tells underperforming bushes to shape up or ship out, Eventually they respond or ......

• andreark
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pristine now has 5 new canes coming.

andrea

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Andrea, can you post a picture of it? It would help a lot. It may be just that it's very happy and healthy but without seeing it it's hard to say. I had Pristine and it wasn't very vigorous for me and eventually died one winter.

• andreark
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Seil,

I will do just that this weekend. I don't have time until then. She actually does look happy. I gave my Mother a Pristine tree about 30 years ago...From Regan's Nursery also and she was a very happy healthy plant..

Maybe Pristine is a 'California Girl' too! I'll post the photos of the cane and new growth. I hope I can get it right.

andrea

• rosetom
    10 years ago

No, under the right conditions, Pristine is hugely vigorous. Further, it's known for a rather odd growth with very large canes. FYI, I have had one for 10+ years. Blooms are like porcelain (Ray Riddell's description, not mine), but they're among the most fleeting. Cooler temps can really bring out an impressive, long-lasting flower, though. The crazy-huge canes and odd directional growth will continue throughout the season, though.

Sounds like it's doing great to me, andrea!

• andreark
    Original Author
    10 years ago

rosetom,

You described her to a tee. As I said, my mother had one for many years, but it was a standard and very different. I've had my own now for a little over a year and she is definitely a very different sort of rose. The porcelain blooms ( I used this word for her many hears ago also) are just as you described. We had June rain and very cool temps for about a week and one bloom lasted the whole time. And King Arthur's knights should have been armed so well!

Thanks for your input,

andrea

• rosetom
    10 years ago

Andrea - you are welcome! Pristine is one of those sort-of non-mainstream roses that can have huge rewards for those that are interested enough to grow one!

• andreark
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I don't have a good photo yet of the cane, but I did call Regan Nursery (no name on the tag on the bush) and told them it had a (maybe) CR logo. The person I reached said it was from Certified Roses.....What does this mean? The rest of my roses are Weeks, and Stars.
    Any info for me?

andrea

• roseseek
    10 years ago

It doesn't mean anything other than the plant originated at Certified, Andrea. Week's was thrown into bankruptcy by J&P's collapse and sale. Star has been supported by Meilland's infusion of capital for years. Certified isn't as well known a name, but they appear to continue as an independent source. Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: Certified Roses

• andreark
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is as good as I can do with my camera. I have left it turned sideways because, for some reason, you can see the new growth more clearly. The new growth (there is some that you can't see on the back side of the basal cane.) Is reddish and all is coming from the large basal cane, not from the union or from the ground.
    . The new growth on the lower part of the cane is now 11inches since 6/22/13. I realize that suckers grow very fast also. but this growth is from a can that has produced roses.

Well, what do you think?

andrea

• roseseek
    10 years ago

Your Pristine finally hit on the right combination of all variables and is doing what it is supposed to do. Congratulations! Kim

• andreark
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Do you think one of the variables is that I 'Coo' to her every morning?

Yes, I am a silly person.

Thanks Kim,

andrea

• roseseek
    10 years ago

When I was a kid, my dad had an old Ford. Every time it would act up, he'd start noticing new cars and talking about them around that Ford. He swore for years that old car "heard" him and straightened right up. My mom talked to her plants, "See that compost pile over there?.....", and they would straighten right up. So, why not? Stranger things have happened! LOL! Kim

• Kippy
    10 years ago

I think if you plant the shovel in the soil just in front of the bush you can encourage growth.....or just have a really handy shovel when needed.

Neptune is supposed to be a vigorous bush, I asked a local rosarian who recommends it what to do to make mine more than a one cane wonder. He suggested a shovel. My rose must have heard that comment and has thrown out 3 more fat canes.

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia