Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
idabean2

soft coral sturdy independent rose wanted

Marie Tulin
15 years ago

Live in Mass. zone 5, winter snowcover very unreliable. This will one of two roses on a garden path. Pink knock out is one, and has worked very well, even though I know it is very utilitarian. I'm looking for a companion on the other side of the border, perferably perpetual blooming like KO, with similar height. (carpet roses too short)I don't see a soft coral in Knock Outs (really don't like Rainbow). I don't mind a pruning die back, but I will not spray because I keep bees. I'm looking for a soft coral, something that will tie the pinks and yellows in the garden together. White, Red, fluorescent anything will not work. Nor will anything as prickly as a rugosa.

Anyone care to give it try? (I did go to some rose sites, but was immediately overwhelmed.) Thanks in advance

Comments (21)

• alisande
    15 years ago

When I think of coral, I think of Lady Elsie May. I have it in my garden, and I'm happy with it.

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    15 years ago

Why don't you take a look at Golden Unicorn? It is a Buck Rose, and does great for me. The problem is that it may be more of a light yellow than a coral. (Chamblees has it.)
    Sammy

• mexicanhat
    15 years ago

Lady Elsie May is excellent in my garden, too. Lovely glossy dark green foliage, coral flowers, and it's very hardy. Blooms all season. It is really a great little shrub rose.

• Marie Tulin
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thank you all.
    m

• Jean Marion (z6a Idaho)
    15 years ago

If you want something similar to Knock Out, There is Flower Carpet CORAL...

Here is a link that might be useful: Flower Carpet CORAL

• lynn08
    15 years ago

Check out Outrageous. It is a floribunda. I have had it for 4 years now, and it has never needed spraying. It will bloom all season for you, and has a wonderful fragrance. Such a pretty rose bush.

• roses_more_roses
    15 years ago

Betty Prior is really a tough rose, always in bloom, disease resistant, and very cold hardy. Mine starts our a coral pink and the blooms are more pink as they open. I think that it would have a similiar shape and size, it is similar to pink knock out, but different.(Does that make any sense?)
    Diana

• erasmus_gw
    15 years ago

I bought an Anisley Dickson plant last spring from RU. This year it grew like a weed, and has bloomed almost continuously. The plant is sturdy, very nicely shaped..kind of rounded, and is very bs resistant. The blooms are on the large side of medium, have a lovely high centered form, last well, and don't fade much. They're a fairly soft coral, but stronger than pastel. I'm not sure about how big it'll eventually get. It's an older rose which earned some awards.
    Linda

• Marie Tulin
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions. I went to look at roses, and headed right towards the only one I liked. It was Lady Elsie May! The problem is my Knockout Blush looks so pale and wimpy in comparison.

Meanwhile, someone brought in a bouquet of "Grand Canyon" from the National park Series. That is a lovely, lovely rose with a great scent.

I had Betty Prior years ago, and it was huge. But it was also a JB magnet. It was simply decimated within a week or two. As I said, I keep bees, so insecticides are not an option.
    Marie

• kathy9norcal
    15 years ago

I don't know how it does in your zone, but I just posted photos of Christopher Marlowe on the gallery forum.
    Kathy

• triple_b
    15 years ago

OOOH I like the looks of Outrageous. I am also looking to get branch out from my pinks.

• rosyjennifer
    15 years ago

I, too love the bees! Today I was just noticing that they were going wild on my Escapade and Lyda rose - bumble bees, and 2 other types. Not one bee on Cymbeline - maybe they don't like the myrrh scent? : )

How about Livin Easy? It is soft orangey/coral, mine was never as bright as some of the photos on HMF depict, but mine was in full sun.

Westerland is also very easy care and beautiful.

Hope this helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: Livin easy

• judith5bmontreal
    15 years ago

Yes, Westerland is quite stunning in bloom. It is new this year, so the jury is still out on its health and hardiness here. Daybreaker is also quite lovely, and seems to be pumping out the blooms (also newly planted this year). My suggestions are based so far on looks alone!
    Judith

Daybreaker
    {{gwi:295065}}

{{gwi:249991}}

Westerland

{{gwi:237787}}
    (This came out more orange in the picture than it really is)
    {{gwi:295066}}

• Marie Tulin
    Original Author
    15 years ago

c marlow looked like an Austin, and it is. 5 b zone is a little close for comfort, but something about Austin makes it not a strong or resilient grower here in western suburbs of Boston. I'm not the only one who watched theirs get gangly and sort of fade away.

I'm really enjoying all your posts. Keep them coming. It is nice to spend some time on a new forum! Elsie goes in the ground tomorrow.

• len511
    15 years ago

I have a blushing (pink) ko fairly close to a margo koster.
    I would take a picture but it is dark. The margo was planted this spring in middle of april and has never been without a bloom somewhere on it.

• alisande
    15 years ago

Daybreaker and Westerland just went on my list. You people have got to stop posting pictures!

• judith5bmontreal
    15 years ago

Sorry about that, Alisande. I know how you feel: because of these forums I had a new list going before I even received my spring order this year LOL
    Judith

• matt_in_mi
    15 years ago

I think Tuscan Sun is a great coral colored rose. Free blooming, disease resistant, healthy attractive foliage. There isn't much I don't like about this one.

{{gwi:295067}}

{{gwi:295068}}

• alisande
    15 years ago

Oh, that's beautiful! Stop! Stop!!

Carla recommended Prairie Sunrise, and then someone posted a picture, and now Prairie Sunrise is sitting in a pot waiting for me to find a spot for it. Oy . . .

• Zyperiris
    15 years ago

I am in Seattle area, and my Livin Easy..is NOT Coral. Right now it's bright orange. Maybe what color depends on the area? Anyway, Bill Warriner looked coral in my garden.

• Cindi_KS
    15 years ago

Oh Boo hoo! I was supposed to get 3 Bill Warriners from Wayside and they goofed and sent me Billy Graham instead. I love coral. I have the Coral Knockout and it really is coral. It's sturdy and constantly in bloom too. Livin Easy is bright orange here...pure orange juice orange. Countesse Celeste is coral, but I'm not sure on the hardiness, because I killed her last year.
    That Tuscan Sun just went on my ever-growing wish list. Sigh.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm